Thread: rex trail

Default rex trail

i was wondering if anyone could tell me about the rex trail out by anderson

You are looking at a massive undertaking if you want to access 769 from the rex trail. 60+ miles of water and swamp. Not to mention trying to cross the rivers along the way. They might not look like much on the map, but can cause problems depending on water levels.

Default best of luck trying to get into the back country on this trail

my old hunting buddy used to use this for moose in the fall. He told me dont bother going up there anymore. Here is why. You have a group of about 15 different parties that now go into that area. THey have large tracked vehicles and when ever they hit a bog area they make it a point to tear it up so no atvs can get back there and only these large track vehicles. As he puts it they will spin around in circles digging holes about 4-5 foot deep of mud and bog to prevent atvs from t raveling back there where they are. That was his observation so if anyone can confirm this than please do.

Wow. Never saw anything like this on the 45 miles I traveled. The trail is bad enough that this type of stuff doesn't need to be done to limit travel by wheelers. And isn't being done from what I have seen.

Default good than maybe this practice has stopped or is just that much farther back.

it has been 5 years since he was up there so maybe this has stopped.

Default weight restriction

I thought I read somewhere the rex was now weight restricted. which ment no more large track vehicles. Not true? Hillbilly

Default i would be curious about that also.

this trail from what i was told is a big rig vehicle trail.

The locals and some others began complaining about the condition of the trail a while back and forced the state to enforce some rules that were written in years ago and never have been enforced. It was closed down to anything over 1500 pounds and last fall at the last minute they opened it up to big rigs to hunt thanks to a bunch of folks fighting for equal access. The problem is it is a mining road from long ago built for winter use and straight thru the swamps. Of course any trail thru the trees will eventually be used for summer travel and this is what happened. The biggest draw to the area is it accessed some good hunting grounds and soon became popular and over run with folks. I don't know what the current status is. Check out the DNR website to learn more.

With the fire last year and all of the forrest service traffic through there proir to the start of the hunting season I herd that the REX trail became a bad mess. Some horror stories from a couple coworkers attempting to get there wheelers back there. Donno for sure, just second hand info I recieved last fall.

During the Fish Creek fire of '01 some forestry workers tried to bring in a couple wheelers to us and gave up. We were a few miles short of the first river and it was too much for them. It is rather overwhelming the first time you see that trail and the amount of water there is. We ended up getting two wheelers and a trailer from the paracargo guys the next day. I have great respect for those guys and the drop zone was small but we all got a good laugh out of seeing a wheeler hanging from the trees! Not many sawyers can say they tackled a challenge like that.

Default wicked mess

Last year, me and a buddy of mine went out the rex after the fires, and man..... that was a rough trip. It is not undoable but be ready for a serious challange.
    If you do go, go lite.

Default tracks?

How about an ATV with tracks? I don't have one but this seems to be the right place for one. The Rex is just a little to "moist" for my taste.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Nobody that has to fix their own track rig is spinning donuts in mud holes. This trail has bad spots because it was built in a straight line not following the contours of the land.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

The trail was used year-after-year during an antlerless hunt that spanned over 7 or 8 years, often disregarding depleted populations within the trail corridor, originally with minimal coordination between DNR and F&G, and lasting from August/September through December (the first 4 or 5 years), and then August/Sept. through February the last several years.

Over that course of time, there was seriously increased traffic on the trail, as well as the memorable and seriously wet intermittent summers (including massive flooding a couple years ago that a local out there described as being of "Biblical proportion"). Between those two factors, the trail was royally toasted.

In terrible condition, acknowledging that those who lived back in there year-round needed to use the trail as a literal life-line, the thoughtful thing to do in noting that it was not passable without causing significantly greater damage, would've been to let it heal, and go some place else... And I'm sure -some- persons did that.

Many did not, and took a bad situation and made it NOTABLY worse.

Thems are the -facts-.

the rex trail is like driving in a ditch full of water! i went in an argo a few years ago during the infamous cow hunt. the argo with tracks did well except when crossing moving water. the argo floats downstream when crossing rivers. we made it 40 miles back in about 12 hours. i have a polaris 6x6 with tracks and i would'nt even consider going in there. it has definitely been weight restricted, so the big track rigs are a thing of the past.

I'm not sure but I think some property owners back in there got grandfathered in on the whole weight restriction thing cause we saw a couple big old nodwells going in and out last year on the rex. Didn't see em doing any brodies though

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by big show View Post
    I'm not sure but I think some property owners back in there got grandfathered in on the whole weight restriction thing cause we saw a couple big old nodwells going in and out last year on the rex. Didn't see em doing any brodies though
    they were under permit....100 bucks each

should be a huge mess this year... the New mining co on Fish creek has been running D-9s out there all winter.. plowed it off oh.... JUST WAIT for the thaw
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Isn't this what happened a while back too? The snow berms corralled the runoff and it flowed right down the trail making it worse.

There were last minute revisions to the weight restrictions last year, permitting for track rigs, as they weren't the suspects in the majority of the trail damage.

The primary targets in the leveling of responsiblity for the trail damage were the over-sized-tires on the off-road buggies/trucks. It's been somewhat factually asserted that the track rigs apply less pressure per sq. inch than the buggies and trucks do, which is why the restrictions were revisited by DNR..

Yes, from what I understand, the fellow running the mining gig at Fish Creek allegedly had an operator drop the blade for most of the distance between the Hwy and Fish Creek.... all of one day or so before DNR's folks were coming down the trail on snowmachines, errrr, I mean, track-and-ski-fitted all-terrain vehicles, for the purpose of inspecting the trail....

Additionally, there were persons in the far reaches of the trail/area who were intent on making late winter/early spring supply runs to the road (most of them intending to use snowmachines), and the notable absence of snow caused by the Cat operator's 'thoughtfulness' was more than a minor inconvenience for some of them..

The legacy of oblivious and thoughtless human beings continues.... on and on.....

BTW, both dozers and track rigs using a skid-steer mechanism do, indeed, turn up clumps where ever they turn, but they do far less real damage to the trail than the rigs with tires... Not withstanding bouncing a blade for forty miles..