Thread: Just got...

Default Just got...

a sensor cleaner today & noticed it's methanol alcohol...which is pretty much the same as Heet, right?

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    which is pretty much the same as Heet, right?
    Don't do it

What kind of sensor cleaner did you go with?

Got the Visible Dust system with Arctic Butterfly myself, but yet to use it.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I thought they were using isopropyl for sensor cleaning. I know some sensors have a coating that some types of alcohol can damage. As I recall the Canon 50D required a different type than the 40D and earlier. Also, Everclear is supposed to work well, at least the older 180 proof stuff. I understand the new Everclear is diluted with something, or not refined as well.

In any case Heet isn't nearly pure enough. It will probably leave streaks.

Default I thought HEET

was pure methanol...hmmm...

the kit I got is from American Recorder..."Photo Studio" in a box...

Default I'mm thinking Heet...

is pure in the sense that they don't add anything to it, but still not refined enough to be pure alcohol. I've never done it, but I've heard that in the little backpacker alcohol stoves, Heet works fine, but is a little sooty. Pure methanol shouldn't do that. But like I say, I've never tried it.

I'm all for you trying Heet out for a while on YOUR camera, and reporting back on the results.

BTW, I bought some Eclips fluid for mine but have never needed it. (They sell two types for the different sensor coatings.) I've always used a bulb blower and when that didn't work I used a nylon artist's brush that was static charged with canned air. I would use a wet method as a last resort, but so far the brush & blower have done fine.

If you use an artist's brush, or even a makeup brush, get nylon bristles and clean off the sizing really, really well. Scrub it with soap, and even alcohol if you want, and then rinse well with pure water. After it dries, and just before use, blast it with the canned air to vibrate the bristles into a static charge. It's pretty effective at dislodging and picking up dust particles off the sensor. Or buy the Arctic Butterfly brush and forget about the canned air.