Thread: Tangle Lakes Land Use Changes!!

Default Tangle Lakes Land Use Changes!!

Looks like the BLM is looking at changes to the Tangle Lakes. I haven't had time to read all of the info, but I think it's still open for comments from the public. There are some groups in comments advocating for 'quiet area's' and such. Anyhow, I would like to know your opinions before I submit my comments.

My stance is that the Tangle Lakes area is managed very well. I like the trails they have in the area, and on all the trails you are required to stay on the trails. More restrictions then I care for, but the trails are decent and get you close enough to where you want to go. As far as the boating goes, I hope they don't ban motorized. I don't think I want to see jet ski's out there, but small outboards should be fine.

Anyhow, here is the comment link so far: http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...able_final.pdf

Here is the main page, and on the right you can see the detailed report and suggestions by the BLM. http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/nlc..._Planning.html

Please let me know what you think, and by no means does anyone have to agree with me. Just honest opinions would be great!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

My opinion is limited to the two weeks I spent up there last summer.

First, my wife, my children, and I love the area and can't wait to head back up for a couple of weeks this summer. It's one of the best recreational area for young kids that I've found.

The only two less-than-optimal experiences I had there both involved motorized vehicles. The first problem was with a group of three kids (12-15) rallying their 4 wheelers around our camp. They turned big circles around our camp for about 5 minutes. I rounded up my 2 year old and we headed down to the river. We parked at the upper lake and walked a bit downstream. The quad riding kids came over and started jumping right where we were fishing (literally 10 feet from us). We moved to a spot where they couldn't follow and the problem went away for the rest of the day. They left the next afternoon, which solved that problem.

The second occurrence was a powerboat that buzzed laps around the lake, causing frustration with everyone I spoke to who was on the lake.

Both of the situations were users lawfully using the available resources. Were they considerate? No. Would our experience have improved without their actions? Absolutely. The other users were very considerate and a pleasure to talk with.

If you can introduce an anti-******** rule then everything would be perfect.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Seems to me some kids parents needed a polite talking to in regards to their kids activity in a public place. The boater should have been politely addressed after coming ashore also. Sometimes that is all it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Seems to me some kids parents needed a polite talking to in regards to their kids activity in a public place. The boater should have been politely addressed after coming ashore also. Sometimes that is all it takes.
    We just moved along. There was enough room for all of us to have a nice time. The short time it took to relocate allowed me to cool off and focus on the important stuff, enjoying family.

im lookin forward to spendin a little time up that way myself this summer if time permits.....i never been there before

Release Lake Trout

WHAT! You've never been to tangles before? That's like sayin a fat, spandex wearin redneck never been to Walmart!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow you Are the official thread killer!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Wow you Are the official thread killer!
    When's the last time a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader killed a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    When's the last time a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader killed a thread?
    When she looked like that.

I told my wife not to wear that cowboy thing the rest of the otufit she looks fine but what do I know LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    WHAT! You've never been to tangles before? That's like sayin a fat, spandex wearin redneck never been to Walmart!

now im gonna have nightmares.......thanks alot...

always wanted to go to tangle lakes, mite try it this year, but if im goin i wanna go for at least 3-4 days with my 14'ft boat, and fish paxson too.

Release Lake Trout

Pick me up on your way there... I'm always ready for some fishin'

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

denalihunter, sorry about jacking your thread.

Default lol!

No worries! At least it keeps the thread toward the top!

Wink

They have been racheting up the regulations all along that stretch. They need to be told ENOUGH. I will send in my comments for what they are worth. Then I will go fishing like I always do.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Looks like the BLM is looking at changes to the Tangle Lakes. I haven't had time to read all of the info, but I think it's still open for comments from the public. There are some groups in comments advocating for 'quiet area's' and such. Anyhow, I would like to know your opinions before I submit my comments.

My stance is that the Tangle Lakes area is managed very well. I like the trails they have in the area, and on all the trails you are required to stay on the trails. More restrictions then I care for, but the trails are decent and get you close enough to where you want to go. As far as the boating goes, I hope they don't ban motorized. I don't think I want to see jet ski's out there, but small outboards should be fine.

Anyhow, here is the comment link so far: http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...able_final.pdf

Here is the main page, and on the right you can see the detailed report and suggestions by the BLM. http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/nlc..._Planning.html

Please let me know what you think, and by no means does anyone have to agree with me. Just honest opinions would be great!

Claude
    Good idea putting a link to the BLM comment section Claude.
    I hope everybody comments.
    Myself, I think BLM does a good job managing the DeltaRiver.
    I wouldn't like to see much improvement or changes over what they have done in the past years. Their campground management is excellent.

Personally, I have a bit of a bone to pick with them for backing out of the purchase of Tangle Lakes Lodge, as I feel they should have a presence up there. Right now, when some bozo shows up and creates some trouble, its hours until troopers or rangers get there.
    Any medical emergencies are usually handled by lodge owners and private citizens until help can arrive from either Glennallen or Delta, two hours later. If they had a place up there, staffed, there'd be less hoodlumism and proper emergency treatment.

Default Agreed

Yes, I think currently they manage it well. Tangle lakes campground is one of the few left that allow atv's to be ridden in and out of. I've been in a lot of campgrounds where they won't let you take them off the trailer. I know why they do it... because some bozo decides to rip around the campground with kids running around, or fire up at 2am after a bunch of beers... but I don't like blanket ruling's just cause one guy is an idiot...

Great point if they purchase Tangle Lakes and use it as an outpost. I thought they were going to buy it and remove it or something. Sounds like they may be discussing that again.

Claude

Quote Originally Posted by Grousehawker View Post
    Their campground management is excellent
    She is always happy to hear that. Thanks!

Claude,
    I didn't see this response. I'm still learning the ropes here.
    But yeah, I agree, I wish BLM had of bought my place years ago.
    I'm still talking to them about it but in the meantime I've listed it for sale at WAY below the appraised value.
    If you know anyone interested, here's a link to the Realtor;

http://www.remoteproperties.com/glenmac/tanglelake.html