Thread: SE AK charter outfit lands the BIG one....

Default SE AK charter outfit lands the BIG one....

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Good job to our troopers. I hope they continue to bust the guide outfits that are ignoring the laws that they others follow.

"We just had some aggressive fishermen that was trying to compete," Kulavik said. "They just got caught up in it. They've been good people up until that point and for some reason they just lost it. It was the end of the season, it was September, and it should have never happened."

Troopers reported that the guides were fishing, taking over the limits of halibut, fishing more than one line per client and failing to record the harvested fish, including several sharks that were killed and dumped into the sea, Peterson wrote.
    I'm not buying that excuse for a minute. So lame...especially that the majority of the fine was suspended. 15K = roughly 3-5 clients. Big whoop. With 4 boats running, this is like losing 3/4 boat for one week out of the season.

I'm curious what kinds of sharks they are referring to.

A nine boat operation, owned by a out of stater, and no regard for the laws.. What a nightmare.

Salmon Sharks, I imagine. Also, it doesn't seem like this is the first time they've possibly committed an infraction. I don't remember there being a 2 line regulation in effect in 2009 (and I may be entirely mistaken), but in this video I'm pretty sure that they're fishing at least 5 lines with what looks to be 4 clients on the boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkg5a...layer_embedded

The 3:11 mark...
    Last edited by Dr.No; 04-20-2010 at 20:39. Reason: correct Youtube time

good work. yup, they had 5 rods out.

Default turn the next one in and put them out of business.

I have a feeling this won't be the last such violation - so let's use it to end this:

If anyone sees an extra rod, undersized fish, guide fishing, turn their lameness into authorities and I'll betcha next sting they'll keep the boats, and sell them to pay the fine.

Sounds like they got of pretty easy

Default Sharks

I believe ANY shark that is retained (as in killed) needs to be recorded and by far the most abundant shark around that is regularly caught is the spiny dogfish...

I was wondering if they were dogfish.

60k is a rather steep fine, and it'll get some attention. As with all things, it'd be interesting to hear both sides of the story.

The guy deserved it. It gives all guides a black eye. Out of state ownership....unethical fishing practices...over limit....sound exactly what commercial fishermen have been saying is going on for years....They should have kept the boats too.
    I don't mind getting a ticket every year or so for a violation( helps support the troopers) but when guides are doing that much wrong every day - they need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    I believe ANY shark that is retained (as in killed) needs to be recorded and by far the most abundant shark around that is regularly caught is the spiny dogfish...
    Yeah, that is true in Cook Inlet at least. ANY species of shark including spiny dogfish has to be recorded immediately on your license of harvest card and you can only retain 2 per year.

Does anybody know if this outfit was run by resident Alaskans or the chumps who come up for 6 months fish and run back to the lower 48?
    Last edited by pike_palace; 04-21-2010 at 09:41. Reason: ???
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.