Thread: Looking for suggestions

Default Looking for suggestions

I will be rowing the Tatshenshini for the first time this year and am looking for some suggestions about Air Taxi's out of Dry Bay. We do need a large plane with a 10,000 lb payload as we are a fairly large group.

I am also looking for a shuttle service for Whitehorse to Dalton Post for the ones who are flying in.

I hope this is an appropriate query since I am new to this list.

Lori

Default Contact info

Quote Originally Posted by arivergoddess View Post
    I will be rowing the Tatshenshini for the first time this year and am looking for some suggestions about Air Taxi's out of Dry Bay. We do need a large plane with a 10,000 lb payload as we are a fairly large group.

I am also looking for a shuttle service for Whitehorse to Dalton Post for the ones who are flying in.

I hope this is an appropriate query since I am new to this list.

Lori
    I hate to speak for someone else, but if you send Jim Strutz a pm on this I'd bet he knows someone over that way. Or he probably knows someone who knows someone... He's hooked up with Knik Canoers and Kayakers, and those folks go EVERYWHERE...

Sorry for directing this to you, Jim, but this question has been sitting there a little while...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Yeah, I was thinking about this post. I know there is at least one KCK group heading out the Tat this summer, and I have some friends that have done it. I'll see if I can track down some info.

Hey guys thanks for your thoughts, I am continuing to research this but thought someone on this list just might know some folks who runs a shuttle service from Whitehorse to Dalton Post. Please do not go to any undue effort for this.

Thanks!

Lori

Default Tatshenshini info

Anyone reading this might be interested in Knik Canoers & Kayakers email list server. There are several hundred local paddlers (sea kayaks, river kayaks, canoes and rafts) that read the email and usually respond quickly. There is an amazing amount of information available from this. You can also organize and fill out group trips this way. You don't even have to be a member, but that only costs $15 per year anyway. http://www.kck.org for more info.

I posted a message on KCK's list server for informaton about Tat logistics. Here's what I got back.

There are two air taxi services that operate out of the Yakutat airport, both are reliable. Forget the names but found them on the internet under Yakutat air taxis. Talk to both about size of planes. They fly a lot if stuff around there.

Barbara Norris

Seeing several posting on the Tatshenshini, I thought I'd repeat this note on a guidebook. I recognize that part of the fun of floating a new river is not knowing what is around the next bend, but this guide can help out on a number of things.

The Complete Guide to the Tatshenshini River: Including the Upper Alsek River by Russ Lyman, Joe Ordonez, Mike Speaks. Available from: http://www.cloudburstproductions.net/

We flew out with LAB on our last trip with 4 flights total made with two Cherokee 6s. The strip is big enough for DC-3s, which historically have been used to fly fish out, but I don't know if there are any that you can charter.

Pete Tryon

DITTO DITTO the recommendation on the book.

I have no affiliation with the authors, just a happy customer. Every time you run the TAT you should treat it as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, you may never have the opportunity to do it again, and you want to make the most of it.

Last I heard the big plane was no longer available. (or at least the last time I checked it did not pencil out)

The last time I did it, the cheapest logistics were: Pay for the vehicle(s) to be shuttled to Haines. Charter everybody & as much gear as possible to Yakatat. Mail the gear home to ANC from Yakatat (I mailed collapsed boxes and clean cloths in advance to the air charter). One-way tickets to ANC. Charter a plane for drivers and “non mailable” items to Haines.

(you can make several trips to Yakatat for the cost of a single trip to Haines)

Most folks could fly to ANC cheaper than chartering to Haines then spending two days driving (plus hotels & food).

Steve Adams

I floated the Tat-Alsek in July 2000. Our eight person, three raft group shuttled ourselves to/from Haines, leaving my Subaru by the river at Dalton Post, and flew out from Dry Bay to Haines via three Cherokee 6s flown by (I think) the now defunct Haines Air. I think a Cherokee with full fuel only has a payload of around 1200 #s, but note that float trips tend to bulk out a plane before they max out the weight limit anyway.

Alkan Air (alkanair.com) charters out of Whitehorse and has a commercial use permit for Glacier Bay NP but I don't think they fly anything as big as what you're talking about. Sounds like you're looking for something in the size range of an HS 748 or Dash 8? Maybe contact Glacier Bay NP&P (see http://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisit/rafting.htm) or the Canadians to get an idea of what your options are.

Note that doing the charter in two flights or more offers the exciting prospect of stranding half the participants at Dry Bay for several days if VFR conditions suddenly deteriorate -- this happened to us, only after we had given away or burnt all our extra food to lighten the planes, of course. Fortunately some commercial trips with extra food took pity on our stranded members.

Cassie T.

Here’s some more info from KCK’s list server.

If I was flying out of Dry Bay again, I would go with Alsek Air-- Les is based in Yakutat, which has a lot better flying weather than coming from Haines. He's a great pilot. When I worked in the area I flew with him a lot.

Ellen M

If you're looking for a big plane, talk to Air North out of Whitehorse. They have a Hawkwer Siddeley HS748 They fly into Dry Bay. (867)668-2228

Pat Fleming

I found the folks who issue the permits for the Tat most helpful with all kinds of info, including what air taxi services are approved by them. They even discussed specific pilots with me. You might check in with
    them...they sent a very thorough packet of info with the application for the permit. And they were patient with my numerous questions.

RE: Glacier Bay National Park & Preserve and the Tatshenshini-Alsek Rivers. Please call us at (907) 784-3295 or e-mail GLBA_Alsek_Info@nps.gov if you have any questions or need any additional information.

This website has more info on contacts: http://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisit/rafting.htm

The guidebook that Peter suggested was quite helpful also.

Linda Hearn