Thread: Nosler Accubond COAL for 308 win

Default Nosler Accubond COAL for 308 win

I got Nosler accubond 165 gr bullets to load for 308 win caliber, but can't find the COAL data anywhere. Can anyone recommend a coal with this bullet that gives good accuracy results? I have been using Hornady interlocks and Sierra Matchkings with great results. Their manufacturers provide COAL data though, as opposed to Nosler.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

do you have it for the Ballistic tip? they have the same BC and COL... i will look at my books when i hit home this eve...

but my Lyman laying on the desk shows 2.735 for the Jacketed SP with a BC @ .338 and SD @ .226

the 180 runs 2.800 for the Ballistic tip...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

COL for ANY cartridge-bullet combination is a function of the particular rifle.

Specifically, the distance to the lands, and how much clearance you like. (.030 ???)

However, your COL may be limited by your Magazine Length, or even, your action length.

I don't know how likely, but it is possible to get into trouble using the COL found in a loading manual.

Factory Loads have, IME, Very Short COLs. I guess, this is to overcome any problems with them being too long. ????

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    COL for ANY cartridge-bullet combination is a function of the particular rifle.

Specifically, the distance to the lands, and how much clearance you like. (.030 ???)

However, your COL may be limited by your Magazine Length, or even, your action length.

I don't know how likely, but it is possible to get into trouble using the COL found in a loading manual.

Factory Loads have, IME, Very Short COLs. I guess, this is to overcome any problems with them being too long. ????

Smitty of the North
    Smitty is right on the money with his information.

I load the Accubonds to max magazine length minus .010 in my .308 and 300RUM. They're long and pointy so I have never even came close to the lands with that seated COL.

I have a buddy that pushes his out to the lands with his Rem 700 300RUM but they are way to long for the mag well and they don't shoot any better than mine.

Published COL's are what was used in the test barrel and really don't provide usable information. Your lands will be different than any other rifle unless the same reamer was used when your chamber was cut.

Thanks for your responses!
    In a number of publications I saw 2.810" listed as a max COAL for 308 win. Does it mean I should go with 2.810 for Accubonds if it fits in the magazine? I didn't measure, but by eyeballing I think my magazine will take rounds up to 2.900 - 2.950.

Quote Originally Posted by ftaba1 View Post
    In a number of publications I saw 2.810" listed as a max COAL for 308 win. Does it mean I should go with 2.810 for Accubonds if it fits in the magazine? I didn't measure, but by eyeballing I think my magazine will take rounds up to 2.900 - 2.950.
    Try 2.790 and bump out in .020 increments until you get to max mag length. Shoot three or four shot groups, somewhere in there you will find a winner.

I'm not sure what powder your using but pick a mid load and try the seating depth adjustments. Once you get the good one adjust your charge up if you feel the need.

Thanks for the suggestion, Marshall. I'll try that. I use Varget for powder and get very good results with 43.5 or 44 gr and 165 Hornady bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Try 2.790 and bump out in .020 increments until you get to max mag length. Shoot three or four shot groups, somewhere in there you will find a winner.

I'm not sure what powder your using but pick a mid load and try the seating depth adjustments. Once you get the good one adjust your charge up if you feel the need.

No, you should determine how far out you can seat the bullet to touch the lands and then back it off some, so it doesn't.

You need to know the Max Length that will work through your magazine, and if it's shorter than the above, go with that.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

How would I do that? (I'm new to reloading).

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    No, you should determine how far out you can seat the bullet to touch the lands and then back it off some, so it doesn't.

Smitty of the North

You need to buy a set of sierra loading manuals, and do some internet research for finding out how far your bullet is seated from your rifle's lands.

Default I was afraid you would ask that.

How would I do that? (I'm new to reloading).
    Like Vek said, you can do some research. It's pretty interesting, really.

There is a thread on this very forum titled "Overall Bullet Length Concerns" where this is discussed. You could do a search for it, and find at least some of the ways to determine OAL.

I posted the following, "Simple way", but please read the whole thread if you can find it, because there are OTHER ways too.

Put a wooden dowel down the barrel to touch the bullet, and mark the dowel at the end of the barrel with a knife. Then take the bullet out, and close the bolt and push the dowel against the bolt, and mark it again.

The Max OAL for (a cartridge with) this bullet is the distance between the marks. You can measure that with a Dial CaliperĒ.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks Smitty! I'll look for that thread.
    I appreciate everybody's responses!