Thread: spring-early summer

Default spring-early summer

I need some advice. I recently had back surgery. I feel born again. First time i five years I have been able to walk pain free. I want to get into the hills and soon.

I am a little worried about slips on snow and ice so, I am looking for good day hikes in the Wasilla area that are early snow free climbs. Views are what I am after with any and all wildlife a bonus. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Unless you've conditioned yourself id suggest something very very easy and work up to your goal hike as the season progresses..Maybe something flat along a river or the like. Dont go stressing yourself and losing more valuable time..

Good luck, my friend.

Default Good advice

I have been conditioning and am feeling strong. I wantto chace the snow up the hill. I feel that this will allow me to get into condition as the snow retreats, i will build strenght on short hikes at first and longer hikes as the snow line moves up the hill.

I was a personal traininer and have been in to fitness for years. I will not overstep my abilities. Just looking to enjoy the outdoors again.

Good early season hikes: Bodenburg Butte (south side, next to Reindeer Farm). Turnagain Arm and other trails from the McHugh Creek Trailhead just south of Anchorage. The first 4 miles of the Eagle River Trail (to "the Perch") were almost entirely snow free this time last year. In May, there's the lower section of the Twin Peaks Trail at Eklutna Lake, though there might be some leftover snow in shady spots down low. Lazy Mountain opens up sometime in May (and I think they finished the new less-steep trail up there last year, though I could be wrong).