Thread: Bear Creek?

Default Bear Creek?

I was hiking around the Hope area and i came across a gated trail that ran right beside Bear Creek. I wanted to hike up the trail but the gate was closed/locked but no keep out signs. Does anyone know who owns the gate/trail i would like to get permission to walk it or ride it.
    Thanks
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

The state has allowed the group of miners that own claims up there to put the gate up. It was basically designed to keep out 4 wheelers. Those claims are mainly if not all federal mining claims. They can not keep you from hiking up there. Just don't bring any mining equipment and you'll be fine. You may hunt, hike, fish, ect but you may not pick up "rocks"

Default Good deal...

thanks for the info
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

"you may not pick up rocks" unless they are in the creek.

I believe that is the way the law rights it unless someone can tell me differant.

I dont think you can claim a water way. you can claim the ground around it, but not the stream itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post

I believe that is the way the law rights it unless someone can tell me differant.

I dont think you can claim a water way. you can claim the ground around it, but not the stream itself.
    Placer claims (the most common type of gold claim) include the minerals in any waterway that is on the claim (most often the creek is the 1st area claimed).
    Also, claims are often not clearly marked & are not required to be so. They are only required to have clear markings on the corners. It is your responcibility to make sure you are not on a claim before you do any "prospecting" or mineral removal.
    As has been stated, you can still "recreate" on the land even though it's someone elses mining claim (unless it's patented land, or of course private land, but then that's not really a mining claim...) as long as you are not interfering with their operation (in other words stay clear of their gear & the area they are working) or extracting any minerals.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

So Vance as you put it if you have a claim on both sides of a river, then that section of river is off limits to people?

Smile Not off limits

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    So Vance as you put it if you have a claim on both sides of a river, then that section of river is off limits to people?
    Not off limits to recreational use,just off limits to prospecting or mining of any minerals.
    You can still do any other legal activity there as long as you don't interfere with their mining operations.
    You could still camp,fish,hunt,etc.. So long as those are legal activities there anyway.

BTW where does one find floating rocks in a stream? I have only found rocks on the bottom of a river/stream. so if you have a claim to the bottom of a stream unless the rocks float would you not have rights to them also at least if they were mineralized.That and gold does not float.:D
    That and why would you pick up rocks (rocks= minerals) unless they had value? Rocks (minerals) belong to the claim holder especially those of value ie Gold.
    A claim entitles you to the minerals on that ground including ones in the stream as long as you follow the rules and regs to get them out ( Salmon stream regs etc..). Hope this helps.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Chris is right on.
    As long as you aren't interfereing with my mining or gear, prospecting or taking minerals, you can swim, fish, or boat on the stream where my claim is to your hearts content.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

[QUOTE=kasilofchrisn;724610]

BTW where does one find floating rocks in a stream?

Alaska Peninsula, Volcanic Pumice Rocks.

[QUOTE=AGL4now;725428]
    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post

BTW where does one find floating rocks in a stream?

Alaska Peninsula, Volcanic Pumice Rocks.
    Thanks I didn't know about the floating rocks.
    I was just curious and not sure if he had a typo or not. It sure sounded like he was talking about floating rocks to me.:D
    I think the thought of someone having a mining claim on federal or state land is scary and confusing to some. I get the impression that some people who don't know think that land that was public is now closed to everyone else just because you have a claim on it.That and they feel people get their claims for free. Neither of witch is true.
    I do not own a claim but I do go panning ,sluicing ,and highbanking every summer. I think people also need to realize there are still places for the public to go to prospect in Alaska and they are not all that hard to find.
    Many areas are claimed up but with a little research you can find plenty of open areas many of witch have been set aside by our great state just for the general public.
    Just because where you want to go may be claimed up and/or gated off do not let that stop you from finding some open areas and wetting a pan.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default gate?

let me guess, the miners can ride their wheelers in there, but everybody else is locked out?

that does'nt sound right to me .

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    let me guess, the miners can ride their wheelers in there, but everybody else is locked out?

that does'nt sound right to me .
    This is always a hot topic for both the public and miners. I dont know what the legality is but there are always two sides to every story. Many/most of the trails and roads on the Kenai Penninsula that have been built to access mining claims are historic, well over/under 100 years old. They are not recreational trails. If they are used regularly they are used to haul equipment and access the claims. Allowing the public to use them brings in (not always but..) people camping, leaving trash and bottles, sneaking in to prospect without permission, etc. I know this is not always the case, but I have met some claim owners that are very jaded, year after year its the same problems.