Thread: Newbie Adventures

Default Newbie Adventures

Well I posted a few weeks back for some hunting tips for Alaska. Thought I would share my adventures and try to get some advice on if I am going in the right direction. As I said a few weeks ago I am a life time hunter in the military and am going to make Alaska my lifetime home.

The first problem I was having was just finding people who want to hunt hard, i.e.: backpacking miles and camping. I have found a few potential people who want to hunt but, most that are willing are in not so good of shape, which I know will be a problem. Anyways, I first started looking at bear baiting and went and checked out a spot near the Seward/Homer Spilt but, way too much snow still. I have currently been spending hours on Google earth and looking at the Fish and Game unit maps trying to find some more areas. I have really been thinking about trying to find some areas in Unit 14B and Unit 13.

In the last two months I have spent plenty of money on gear so I am covered there. It is just killing me becuase, I have never went this long in my life without hunting. Hunting is like my church, not killing things, just being outdoors away from everything. I am defiantly going to go north to hunt Caribou and maybe Moose when season rolls around but, only have August cause I am off to Iraq in September. In the mean time I am focusing on Black bear for some food and hopefully a Brown. I am not going to give up on finding a baiting spot but, really focusing on finding some decent areas for spot and stalk.

Just thought that I would share my preparation/learning adventures.

Chris

Wink

Seein's how you asked about the direction you are taking. Based on the frustration I am sensing from your post, you are not happy with the limited opportunities in your present location. Alaska is a big country. Look around the state before you decide to set roots. Of all the places I have been in Alaska, I can think of no other having fewer opportunities to hunt often, than Anchorage. The only advice I offer at this time, is to get used to the frustration or get outa town and live a better life in a place that isn't over-run with people.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Seein's how you asked about the direction you are taking. Based on the frustration I am sensing from your post, you are not happy with the limited opportunities in your present location. Alaska is a big country. Look around the state before you decide to set roots. Of all the places I have been in Alaska, I can think of no other having fewer opportunities to hunt often, than Anchorage. The only advice I offer at this time, is to get used to the frustration or get outa town and live a better life in a place that isn't over-run with people.
    I am hopefull and determined Maybe a little frustrated. Believe be I want to get out of town and I will. My problem is that the wife is not to enthused with me going out by myself. It is coming to that quickly though. Currently looking at houses to by. Looked at one on the Kink today but, will most likely wind up in Palmer or Wasilla. At least those places are a little further from the masses of Anchorage. I sometimes wish I was stationed in Fairbanks.

Chris - While there is some truth to what Akres said, you can certainly hunt often from Anchorage and surrounding areas if you set aside the time and make the effort to do so. The tough part is learning the area, but once you get it figured out, there are plenty of local opportunities. I live in Eagle River (which is technically part of Anchorage), and I do plenty of hunting within a 1-3 hour drive of home.

If you'd like to get together over coffee or a beer and talk hunting while looking at maps, I'd be happy to do so. No promises on joining you, as I've got a little one on the way in two months, but I'd be happy to kick around ideas. I'll even buy.

Default personal experience

just my two little bits Chris. been in squarebanks for almost 10 years and found that the state actually gets bigger every year so don't fret too much. if you hunt hard then don't worry about a partner.

i don't want to knock anyone but i'm sure you'll find more partners that will let you down (most of the time at the last minute) than partners that will hunt as hard as you, in all my time up here i've only met one guy that is willing to put in close to the same amount of time i put in (or put up with me)... and our schedules don't even work sometimes. every year i have people asking to go out with me but have given up on most of them because they seem to expect to go out and shoot an animal with plenty of time left to get home for dinner. so be prepared to go it solo and as long as you have a little woods smarts and go prepared for disaster you'll do well. and just in case you didn't catch it the first time alaska is deadly, be prepared for disaster.

B

Chris,
    Try hiking up Eagle River Valley for black bear late April early May. That should get you started until you find a partner who can keep up and more game.

Brian
    Hell Iíll take you up on the beer and a talk with Chris! We might even be able to drag Lujon in and make it a planning session! Of course all this changes if Lujon's wife is with child!

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Brain,

I will be glad to sit down over a cup of coffee or a beer and look at some maps, or in that case anyone. Just let me know time and place. Bet your looking forward to the birth of your child. Is this your first? I have three kidos myself. Also thinks for everyone else's words of wisdom.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    Brian
    Hell Iíll take you up on the beer and a talk with Chris! We might even be able to drag Lujon in and make it a planning session! Of course all this changes if Lujon's wife is with child!

Drew
    Sounds good, Drew. As for Lujon...he's going for another one? I hadn't heard.

Quote Originally Posted by gristec View Post
    Brain,

I will be glad to sit down over a cup of coffee or a beer and look at some maps, or in that case anyone. Just let me know time and place. Bet your looking forward to the birth of your child. Is this your first? I have three kidos myself. Also thinks for everyone else's words of wisdom.

Chris
    2nd kid. The first will be two in May. We've been blessed with a ridiculously easy kid, so we're bracing ourselves for what "real" parenthood might be like. So far it's been a dream.

Brian
    Lujon claims to be celibate from 1 Jan Ė Valentines Day in order to keep a pregnancy from impeding on his hunt plans. That is a man who is devoted to his passion! Personally I think he is full of smoke but that is just my opinion.

Watch out on that second kid thing. Youíre going from double coverage to Man-to-man. It gets real scary when #3 arrives and you move to the zone defense! I am speaking from experience (I have 3 and expecting 4 during this hunting season {hence the Lujon joke})

Iím on the slope now and wonít be back for two weeks. How does Friday 7 May sound? Beer of coffee?

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post

Watch out on that second kid thing. Youíre going from double coverage to Man-to-man. It gets real scary when #3 arrives and you move to the zone defense! I am speaking from experience (I have 3 and expecting 4 during this hunting season {hence the Lujon joke})

Iím on the slope now and wonít be back for two weeks. How does Friday 7 May sound? Beer of coffee?

Drew
    We're not going to be considering a zone defense, barring a medical miracle. Two will be plenty, thank you very much.

On Friday the 7th I hope to be packing into my bear hunting locale with my packraft. Hunt for two days, float home on Sunday. If the river still has ice, I'll be elsewhere running some beaver traps with my nephew. Stay in touch when you get back, though. We'll make it happen.

2 kids, 4 kids?~~LOL!!!~~ Ive got 7 and everyone of 'em follows along on the work. Great partners , there.

Hunt around and find some good ground, you'll get better with every trip.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Lujon claims to be celibate from 1 Jan – Valentines Day in order to keep a pregnancy from impeding on his hunt plans. That is a man who is devoted to his passion! Personally I think he is full of smoke but that is just my opinion.

My second was just born in February, when My wife caught on to the fact that I was pushing back trying for a few months because of hunting season she walked to the bathroom grabbed the pills showed them to me and then threw them away without a word. Good luck with that Lujon

Chris,
    If you cant find a partner that wants to hunt hard or keep up with you, roll solo bro. Get a nice Bivy shelter and go out on your own and hunt as hard as you like. I have seen tons of solo hunts on this forum, ranging from sheep to bear and even including a good story by Brian M about a caribou hunt. I would take him up on his offer too if I were you.

You could try and hook up with Martentrapper on here and do a spring grizzly hunt out of Nome. This can be a relatively inexpensive way to go. If you are interested get in touch soon.

Define relatively inexpensive

Default Don't wait

I wouldn't do too much waiting for a partner, or chances are good you'll be waiting for them in the woods, which really can get ugly

Sounds like you are a hard core hunter and in pretty tough shape so chances are High that you aren't going to find someone to run with you in the woods, they might even cost you more than you might think.....

I would suggest Don't wait, get out there by yourself and apply the same attention as you do to hunt prep and phys condition now to your awareness of the situation around you At All Times, you'll enjoy the Alaska Hunt more not worrying about some slacker getting lost. Which can also distract you from taking real care of yourself, that's been my experience anyway. Haven't hunted with a partner much since I was early twenties, Man that was some crazy stuff too back then. There are some real excellent hunters around, and maybe they want to go out with someone they don't know yet themselves, but........ I wouldn't hold out for that

Most of the time, You can take care of yourself better alone and focused.

Your wife might also be able to appreciate that logic, those women are pretty good at taking care of us, wanting to run out there too fast, but can also see when we've thought something through real well
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !