Thread: new rifle

Default new rifle

so 2 years ago i bought a brand new Ruger 300RCM and used it last fall to kill its (not mine) 1st goat...i wanna know what you guys think

Right on. Good job.

It worked!

Default Is The Goat Dead?

If so, you have the right rifle and all is well.

All that matters is if "YOU" can hit with the rifle.

Go out and practise, practise, practise.....shoot to thrill
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Congrats on hitting what you were aiming for....... looks like the barrel is not bent.

Default Another .30

Another .30 performs.........Thats what I think.

Default more of everything...

...and my only contribution for Hunter Mike is...

You have had this rifle for two years now...so physical condition more, practice shooting more, hunt more, harvest more, ect.
    Spring is here, so where do you have your black bear hunts planned for???
    (Don't answer, just do it [more].)
    (You can even post more here on the forum to obtain more of this fine guidance.)

dab

i was looking more for anything you guys thought about the gun...the only thing ive had problems with is the heavy bullets (180's) heat up the barrel (i think its too much bearing suface) and after like 2or3 shots the grouping grows to about 3inches at 100yrds but other than that its been an awesome gun!!! i love the short action and short barrel, it makes for an awesome goat gun!! and thanks for the replys though!!

The barrel heat is due to the explosion inside the chamber and the massive heat generated as any projectile is accelerated to around 3000fps by a column of hot gas. The amount of affect this has on a barrel is directly attributed to how much and what type of metal the barrel is made out of. If it is a thin light barrel then it will get hot quickly. If it is big thick heavy barrel then it will get hot slowly. Since you are using it to kill goats, I would not want the big heavy barrel and would simply advise you to get very comfortable shooting it and just kill anything you hunt with the first or second shot. Sounds like you are already doing that though.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The barrel heat is due to the explosion inside the chamber and the massive heat generated as any projectile is accelerated to around 3000fps by a column of hot gas. The amount of affect this has on a barrel is directly attributed to how much and what type of metal the barrel is made out of. If it is a thin light barrel then it will get hot quickly. If it is big thick heavy barrel then it will get hot slowly. Since you are using it to kill goats, I would not want the big heavy barrel and would simply advise you to get very comfortable shooting it and just kill anything you hunt with the first or second shot. Sounds like you are already doing that though.

killing stuff on the 1st or 2nd shot is the plan id much rather not have to do any tracking...and what makes me think that its the barrel heating up is the groups are stringing up and down...but im gonna try using the 165gr bullets that i got ...i think that by doing that it will help with the barrel heating...not completely but i think it will help...but the 165s are doing 3100fps haha and if it dont help then i guess ill just keep...and after the last goat hunt i think it my new goat gun