Thread: Whittier report

Default Whittier report

For those of you who've been I am curious how much snow is in the sound this year.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Default Lots...

15' of snow in the back of cochrane bay, from a friend who just returned.
    He mentioned lots of avalanche activity in the 2 days he was out.
    Be careful.
    BK

Here's some pics I took yesterday while fishing out of Whittier. The shorelines are all clear, but there is still quite a bit a ways above. It'll be quite some time before all that junk is gone though.

Default 9 Feet

Went to shore to get some snow in Three fingers bay on Thursday and there is a solid 9 ft of snow at water level. Also saw a couple small slides while we were in there.

Larsonvega--could you throw us less fortunate souls that can't be out till ntext wknd just one little bone? So could we get a catch update so far pray tell?
    (I can't contain my jealousy BTW)

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Larsonvega--could you throw us less fortunate souls that can't be out till ntext wknd just one little bone? So could we get a catch update so far pray tell?
    (I can't contain my jealousy BTW)
    No prob Fullbush, here ya go:

Shrimping = AWESOME!!!

Fishing = Crappy so far...

Some buddies of mine were out Thursday till today and are coming home with somewhere between 1,800-2,000 tails, and not a single fish. The only day I went out I also did well shrimping, but not so hot on the fish side. By not so well, I mean skunked. Oh well, it sure was nice to get out on the water again. This winter felt entirely too dang long, ya know?

P.S. We'll be out again all day on the first of May, then again for an overnighter from 7-8 May. Hit us up if you're out and about on the sound! Dirty Snapper to Fullbush, over?

Hilarious!
    Yeah I'll be trailering down toward the middle of the week.
    The shrimping sounds off the hook, can't wait and thanks for the update

Just got back to town. Pulled about 90 tails win 7 pots! Not bad At all for us! Had a blast. The weather was awesome! Can't wait for the fishing to pick up.

Default One of my buddies

was out by Naked Is. They got 1 yellow eye
    2 pacific cod and 1 irish lord

They were setting pots in the south side of McLure bay and south Culross Passage/Cochrane Bay
    He says they only got 10 pounds of tails or so.

He also tossed 2 pots, kept his eye in the bitter end to attach the bouy then realized as the line slipped thruough his fingers that he was looking at the beginning end of the NEXT line.

Steve, I told him to contact you for replacement pots and that slick limp sinking line you got (how much is a 600 foot roll anyway?)
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Default Yesterdays catch

My fishing partner went out yesterday and pulled 8 pots. He came home with just over 27lbs of tails. That is by far the best we have done in any single pull. We are thinking that our pot design is on to something.
    He said that the weather was really really nice!

Default Shrimp numbers

We spent the weekend out there and came back with 4 gallons of tails for the whole weekend. This was in the same area that I would expect to take that same amount or better from a single pull last year. I was steep and deep between 600' and 700'.

Last year I was getting those great numbers there later in the season (August/September). I had not fished this spot so early before. Also, I noticed more octopus and crab in that spot this year. I wonder if they are impacting the population. I dunno.

This sure taught me that last year's hot spot does not always carry over to the next year.

Shrimp numbers aside, it was a great weekend.

Heard some shooting going on in Pigot Bay Saturday morning. I'm curious how that turned out.