Thread: Fuel tanks for Super Cub usage

Default Fuel tanks for Super Cub usage

Hello Everyone,

Will someone please tell me the reason truck (that go in tuck bed)fuel tanks (AIH for example) say diesel only? Liability? Or does the material they are made of cause condensation in 100LL and/or gasoline?

What DOT law explains the maximum fuel tank I may carry in my truck or trailer for my Cub without HAZMAT labeling, special licensing, etc?

What are some of you guys using? Where do you get 30 gallon drums I saw mentioned on this forum earlier? Do the hand pump nozzles at AIH fit those 30 gallon drums like they would a 55 gal drum?

Thank you for any help.
    Brett

As I understand the fuel tanks at AIH are not baffled and there is the possibility of static electricity igniting the fumes from AVGAS.

As for the AIH pumps they are made for diesel and not AVGAS. Try talking to the folks out at ACE fuels by the Taco Bell across from Merrill field for more/better info.

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

The tanks AIH sells for diesel don't comply with DOT gasoline tank standards. But they work. So do the pumps. I've had a 100 gallon tank and Tuthill 12v pump in my trucks for years. I've got one from AIH in my truck right now.

On the subject, I believe Merrill prohibits self-fueling from trucks. I'm not a Merrill guy so I could be wrong. There's no such restriction at Hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    As I understand the fuel tanks at AIH are not baffled and there is the possibility of static electricity igniting the fumes from AVGAS.
    Drew

Iíve built a few fuel tanks and the reason I put in a baffled was to keep the fuel from moving around and to keep the sides from bulging out, never thought about static.

My AIH tank is baffled. Static isn't a problem until you go to dispense the fuel. How much static the tank carries is irrelevant until the static potential tries to equalize to your plane. That's when the spark will jump. Manage the risk. Use a bonding wire.