Thread: Weight difference in the Barney's Packs

Default Weight difference in the Barney's Packs

Anyone know what the weight difference is between the older style (camo/cordura) Barney's Hunter packs and the new kevlar/Gray version???

I talked to Barney's and they told me the newer Hunter pack is approx 3.9 lbs. They did not know how much the older style weighed. Wondering how much more the older style weighs.......

Thanks.
    Brian

Default Any other differences other than weight/strength of material?

Does anyone have any other opinions on the differences between the two packs other than material strength and weight? I found a Hunter pack for sale in the older material. Considering that pack unless I see a real need for the newer Kevlar style.

Thanks.

Brian

Default Info from a previous thread...

...courtesy of Kodiak Blacktails and Austin: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...?t=1231&page=2

"...Barney's Packs (including frame)
    -Super Moose - 4800 cu " - 6# 9 oz.
    -Packer - 5800 cu" - 7# 6 oz.
    - Hunter - 6800 cu" - 7# 9 oz - Kevlar, 8# 8 oz. - 500 d Cordura , 9 # 10 oz.
    -Pinnacle - 7800 cu" - Same weight as the hunter - the extra fabric is offset by the zipper and internal divider in the Hunter bag.
    - Frame 4# 10oz"

"I got these weight figures from Bob Hodson when I was researching the Pinnacle pack & frame combo:
    • black kevlar fabric (7 1/4 lbs)
    • 500d fabric (8 1/4 lbs)
    • 1000d fabric (9 1/4 lbs)

All the weights shown are without the freighter shelf. I personally went with the black kevlar to save weight. I don't have a suitable scale to verify these weights, but I think they are very close. A person could also remove the top crossbar and save a few additional ounces."

Thanks. Great info. Appreciate it.

Brian

Default add. thoughts...

Just a thought concerning the older style.....

Yes, they (older styles) did weight more than I like to think about, but....

....the comfort of those super deluxe padded shoulder straps and waist belt, two components that added some weight, were very much appreciated at mile 12 or 20 of the approach for a sheep hunt, or when loaded up with a moose hind-quarter.

IF, they have eliminated some weight but maintained the comfort features, then I may invest in a new(er) pack.

Note that I also have always removed the freighter shelf and usually removed the top extension bar. The top extension piece just seems to catch every branch in the alder thickets. And after hours and miles, the alder brush begins to win that constant battle.

dennis

The padding is still there the new dyneema grid fabric is very strong and much lighter which is where your weight savings comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Note that I also have always removed the freighter shelf and usually removed the top extension bar. The top extension piece just seems to catch every branch in the alder thickets. And after hours and miles, the alder brush begins to win that constant battle.

dennis
    I do the same thing. Being 6'6" I need all the help I can get when busting through the alders. I have never seemed to need the top rack. I am not sure while one would purchase any other make if they want an external frame pack.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Kevlar weighs about 12oz-1lb less or so. The kevlar is more rip stop (relative statement as cordura is tough as nails). The cordura is more abrasion resistant (relative statement as the kevlar is tough as nails). If the price is right on the pack get it. Otherwise go with the new kevlar and save some weight.

Brett