Thread: Seaark bow modification??

Default Seaark bow modification??

Hello from Virginia.. Love the boats I see on here. I have a Seaark 24 V-pro, and was looking at increasing the sheer height from about midship forward. The reason being that when I take this boat to the great lakes, the slightly down pointed bow takes a fair amount of water over the top. Anyone ever seen/done this kinda mod? If so, any input/pics would be greatly appreciated. Attached is a very crude pic of my idea..

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default not be cheap !

If you hire someone to do it, you will probably be looking at over $3000 for materials and labor. I considered doing the same thing to my old 18' Crestliner Sportsman to make it more ocean going. I know you should use 1 or 1-1/2 inch aluminum pipe for the new gunnel. Remember this will change what you can and can't see in front of the boat from the helm quite a bit. For it to be worth the bother with respect to waves, you should raise the shear line at least 12 vertical inches (18 might be even better). Also consider building a closed off area flush with the new shear line at the bow to provide strength, a place to mount stuff, and storage underneath, and helps to keep water out which is what you want anyway. If you are doing it yourself, get some stiff sheet plastic such as used to line shower stalls to cut and fit full size templates. I would consider raising the shear line to the bottom of the windshield all the way to the windshield from the bow. Might be cheaper (and better) to just get a different used hull ...................

Nice idea.

Thanks for the input. I was planning on 12+ inches of height. I have a raised deck in the bow already, so I was thinking that I would use stiffeners along the inside that were welded on to the existing ones and attached to the raised deck. Also, the consoles currently set inboard about 3" of the gunnel due to the curve of the boat at that point and once the sheer is raised they will be relocated back/outward along a straighter line in the hull and become part of the new sheer line. Any ideas as to butt joint, overlap, etc. on the new side metal attaching to the existing? I am trying to get a supplier as to the original Seaark gunnel cap and would like to use the same 3-3 1/2" material and have it turn down and into the existing gunnel cap at the back of the new sheer line. Thanks again.

Default templates

hear is a photo of the templates I made before bailing on the entire project and upgrading to a different boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images