Thread: Paper tune with FOB's?

Default Paper tune with FOB's?

This is my rookie year using the FOB's. Now that I am all set up the arrows back end will kick up every shot.

Is it hitting something?

Is paper tuning possible?

Is there anyone around the Fairbanks area who you would recomend to help set/fix up my bow for the FOB's?

Thanks,
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

I would email the FOB website and give them all your details. I have seen that they are very helpful.

Here is a link that talks about bare shaft tuning.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+st...ft-a0123755520

I use FOBs with my bow and have no issues, I can not recommend any place in Fairbanks. I have been to whats available and have not been impressed. I live in North Pole and would be willing to give it a look.

Sounds like you may have some contact. You could try using a crayon or similar method and look for color transfer.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherBob View Post
    This is my rookie year using the FOB's. Now that I am all set up the arrows back end will kick up every shot.

Is it hitting something?

Is paper tuning possible?

Is there anyone around the Fairbanks area who you would recomend to help set/fix up my bow for the FOB's?

Thanks,
    Fob help to the rescue!

Paper tune your bow bare shaft...without the fob. Your Fob is not hitting anything, most likely, causing your arrow to fly funny. When your fob hits your rest you will know it. Your fob will fly off, loud noises and your arrow will do who knows what.

Sounds like a rest tuning issue....get that thing shooting bullet holes through paper bare shaft and I bet that will solve your problem. If not let me know.

I bet Mark will get on here too and help as well.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Also remember to set you knock point LEVEL. this is very important with the FOB... also.. if you call Starrflight Paul will call you back and chat for hours not only about FOBs but hunting as well.Great guy.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

ArcherBob -- If you don't get it worked out soon give me a call. Sounds like you've got enough resources available, though!

Just for kicks, I'll add:

Shaft center of berger hole with launcher at full draw?
    Nock-level?
    Proper string loop?
    Launcher getting out of the way? (TL-1 Launcher if you're using a QAD rest)
    Nock too short for your short ATA bow?

Stick with it. Once you get this bug worked out it will be chiseled in stone!

Taylor

-[]--------->

ArcherBob,

I attached a resource that may help you out in the long run..
    Attached Files Attached Files

What range are you guys shooting up to with FOB's. I hear they are not very accurate after 40 yards, they loose speed pretty fast and start to wabble? Videos on Utube show shooting out to 80 yards, but it was all over the target. Just want to hear from you local guys how they really shoot out past 40 yards. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    What range are you guys shooting up to with FOB's. I hear they are not very accurate after 40 yards, they loose speed pretty fast and start to wabble? Videos on Utube show shooting out to 80 yards, but it was all over the target. Just want to hear from you local guys how they really shoot out past 40 yards. Thanks.
    Wow...that is so far from the truth. There are actually videos on the Starrflight website that show guys shooting at 100 yards, although that is not the norm I'm sure.

FOB's are designed to increase accuracy, not lose accuracy at longer distances. Have you been to the starrflight website? There is some great information there that may help answer your questions. Paul really lays out the design, tuning issues and why they work very well and it's very easy to understand.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i shoot a 3 inch group to 65 yards no issues. and that group is all me...

if i crank it up it will go further too.. still there is ZERO compairson in any kind of breeze..FOBS will go every time the fletch will flutter aside.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i shoot a 3 inch group to 65 yards no issues. and that group is all me...

if i crank it up it will go further too.. still there is ZERO compairson in any kind of breeze..FOBS will go every time the fletch will flutter aside.
    Yea....bingo. That is one major advantage.

I can't shoot FOBS up close, 20 yards, as I hit them too often. They really shine in cross winds and high winds. The idea that they are not accurate at a certain range is, as said by Don Young, Bladderdash!!

The only bad thing I can say is they look too futuristic. I mean it is mad enough I am shooting a compound. Now my fletching looks like something off Flash Gordon's spaceship?

Other than that, they do what they are advertised to do. You also do not need to refletch arrows ever again. So no special glue needed, no solvents for cleaning carbon arrows, no jigs, etc. They also leave a great marker for the beginning of a blood trail.

Cheers,

Matt

It's my experience that you don't really notice what FOB's are doing for you until BEYOND 30 or 40 yards! Anyone can shoot groups at 20 yards. Geez.

Make your first shot of the shooting session between 50 and 60 at a small target and you'll understand how important consistency really is.

Any inference that FOBs are less accurate at longer ranges is MIS-information, pure and simple. Whomever told you that, akrstabout, done lied to you! :-))

Taylor

-[]--------->

Default TNX

Thanks for the help, I'll put it to use when I get off work and back to town!
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Cool guys. Thanks for the info. I have looked at Pauls site a long time ago. Just going off what I have heard. I might give them a go with the new Z7. Just getting things set straight so I know what to buy and who to go to. Again, thanks everybody.

Default the only problem i have seen with fobs

a couple guys shoot them at the 3d shoot we're doing and I have seen them nick a stick between release and target and the nock and fob fall right off and the arrows go tumbling through the air were this has happened to all of us with regular fletching and if its not a real big stick the arrow will recover pretty well and still at least hit the target. I know this is target shooting but practice how you play, imagine that moose just trotting off because you got excited and there happened to be a twig in the way and your arrow smacked it sideways cause there was nothing attached to your arrow to stabilize it after the little twig contact.

I have tried the fobs and other than that i have no complants. just not ready to jump on the band waggon yet, ill stick to my blazzers.

Now you did it. You poked a stick in the FOB Militia hornets nest There is no forgiveness from those guys. (BTW, I'm with you man, I sure like Blazers)
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Wink

Hornet nest response:

In the spirit of "practice how you play" I'll say I usually don't practice shooting sticks between me and the target. ;-P Shoot over, under or around them and you will not have a deflection whether you are using a larger-diameter blazer or a FOB!

I can honestly say that I have NEVER had a FOB leave the shaft before contacting the target. Maybe it's just me.

Taylor

-[]--------->

never made stick soup here either... though... i would rather the FOB pop off and miss then... go astray and wound

meet on face book here

ya ya ya
    you all a bunch of FOB lovers...ha ha. I thought i would get that responce... I guess you can call me as much of a traditionalist as you can be in the compound world. i think im going to have to stick with my boring blazzer fletchings tell some other person trys to make a better mouse trap (and puts it on the outdoor channel enough for me to buy into it)jk. Also in the spirit of practice how you play if you have never practiced in thick trees or brush to shoot through you might as well not practice with your broadheads either cause im sure that animal will walk right across that big open spot, the sun wont be in your eyes, the mosquitos wont be resting in your peep sight (happend!), you'll be standing on perfect level ground just like in your back yard and last but not least you wont be the least bit excited and everything will go just acording to plan!

In summery there's nothing wrong with FOBS....HA HA