Thread: 4/23-4/24 Fishing

Default 4/23-4/24 Fishing

Trying to decide my last run for the Kenai before closure. What would you do?

1. The Bridge
    2. Float from sportsmans to Jims
    3. Walk in above skilak
    4. Walk in Below skilak?

I've never walked in so any advice or locations where to start are appreciated, Thanks!

Default Other fishers

Keep an eye open for bears that are up and about if you do the walk.

all of the above
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default if iwas going to hit it again

I would definently opt for the middle if its open. Other than that, I would say your better off fishing sports mans down. To jims. Or if u can take a boat with a minnkota or somethin and float, Bridge to princess chute and then motor back up. I'd stay away from the canyon as the water is very low and bears are starting to poke their heads out. And I would imagine them having an appetite. Good luck! Post a report!
    Go Fish

Default FLoat

Once you motor back up you're "technically" not allowed to float back down again right, well at least not fish? I'm a rookie floater and nervous about taking some rapids, like the princess corner rapids. Are they really that bad? Or can you navigate around them? Sometimes they look big and other times they look like nothing. Thanks

Between markers located at the outlet of Kenai Lake downstream to approximately river mile 80.7, a person may not sport fish from a vessel during motor use or after a motor has been used to propel that vessel on that same day.

Wink

Correct, after motoring your done fishing on the upper kenai. As far as the princess rapids, just point it! Keep your bow straight and you'll be fine. Right now those rapids are nothing more than a few bumps. Any raft or driftboat should have no problem in these rapids at any water level. Heck, you could go down them backwards without much of an issue.

Most people float sportsmans to jims. If I were you I would float from the bridge to sportsmans. Doesn't get fished as hard as sportsmans to jims.

Default Length

How long does it take to float that, from the Bridge to Sportsmans? Compared to ferry to jims hows the difficulty compare?

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    How long does it take to float that, from the Bridge to Sportsmans? Compared to ferry to jims hows the difficulty compare?
    It is a longer float than sportsman's to Jim's. It starts out slower and mileage-wise it is longer. The only two spots that I can think of that would be more difficult is the princess rapids (which I have found to look worse than it is) and the turn after going under the bridge (with the road out to the Russian river camp ground on the left).

IMO Bridge to Sportsmans has a better view and for the rower has some more down time, do to slow water and a few strait-a-ways. I would chose sportsmans to jims. During my floats I have always had better luck fishing that stretch. Which ever you decide don't for get the camera!

Hands down the Middle if you want a shot at a fatty. In the spring you can sight fish if the water clarity is decent as it should be. I don't know if Skilak's open yet as I'm on the slope, but I've caught some super nice fish this time of year between the dunes and the Upper Killey.

Default Location

How and where do you start walking from to get there if you are walking in? I've never walked in on the lake before. Thanks