Thread: Free Winchester

Default Free Winchester

Hi

I recently won a Winchester mod 70 Classic in 270win. It is blued with a walnut stock. 270win would not have been my first choice for a new rifle but who can complain about a FREE gun... I am looking for suggestions. What would you guys do with this rifle. What type of finish, hard chrome? Re chamber? 270 win would be great for sheep, goat, or deer. I live in the south east and spend a lot of time on the salt water so leaving it blued may not be a good option.

Thanks

Woody

Give it to me of course
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I would have it Armaloyed and give it to a young deserving up and coming hunter. Obiously this is not your shooter and would make a fine shooter for a beginner. I know there is a guy in Fairbanks that coats the barrel and action with this product.

Default Armaloy

Tell me more about Armaloy. What kind of cost and how does it hold up to Salt spray. Do they do the bore?

Angry

Whats wrong with a 270 some of the best hunters I know use a 270 and don't even get me started on the whole blueing thing. Most of the people on this forum need to get out and go hunting and spend less time staring at a high dollar box. And for what to do with this 270 you won shoot it or you can put it in your safe and show everyone you meet the gun you won.

Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    Whats wrong with a 270 some of the best hunters I know use a 270 and don't even get me started on the whole blueing thing. Most of the people on this forum need to get out and go hunting and spend less time staring at a high dollar box. And for what to do with this 270 you won shoot it or you can put it in your safe and show everyone you meet the gun you won.
    Nothing truly inferior about the calibre or bluing method of protection. That said they have both been improved upon, by a wide margin of hunters. Sort of like the tried and true 30-06 Mod 70 Pre 64. Highly sought after, yet not in production. Why you ask? Not enough demand, as the newer caliber's, SS and optional finishes attract the gun buyers. Don't ask me to get into the ballistics and weather thing, and I won't "get you started on the blueing thing"

I wouldnt put a penny into it. Use it for Black bears on down till you die. Just give the metal a good coat of wax to stop the rusting and shoot the hell out of it. You will be tickled pink every time you shoot an aniaml with your "free" rifle.
    Good luck!
    Tennessee

OK that is the advice I was looking for. When I came up here i got caught up in the bad bluing thing. Now I am sitting here looking at my grandfathers model 94 30-30 that was built in the 30's some time. This gun has killed more deer and black bear than I could shake a stick at and the bluing is still in great shape other than his hand print worn on the bottom of the receiver from carrying it. What kind of wax do you guys use on the metal? will a good coat of corrosion block work as well? 30-06 has always been my caliber of choice. the 270win is close . a little flatter from the lighter bullets I have loaded up some 150 serria SBT's. I will get her out this week and sling some lead Oh yea.... Did I mention it was FREE!!!!!!!!!!

Woody

Default Free gun

Use it for black bear down (and moose) is great advise. Just use good bullets.

The only thing I would do to this rifle is put a synthetic stock on it since you are in a wet area. Wood swells and will affect it's accuracy quite a bit. I found that out years ago with my Ruger M77 .280 Remington on a sheep hunt.

All of my serious hunting guns now have synthetic stocks. I put the wood ones back on the ones I want to display at home, but the wood stays in the closet when those guns go to the field.

Tape the muzzle and you won't have to worry about getting moisture in there. Run a oiled swap and brush through it nightly and it will stay clean.

Then, enjoy this free gun as is and if you keep it oiled and cleaned every night while in the wet spray, don't be too concerned about the bluing. ANY gun, whether stainless, coated or blued will rust if not taken care of. Coated and stainless are just a bit less prone to it.

Enjoy it and consider yourself lucky!!!!
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Send it to Walter Birdsong and have him put the Black T finish on it, mines down there right now getting it done. Guaranteed not rust!

Buy a thing of rig and you don't have to worry about corrosion, I should know I hunt the juneau wetlands
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I lived in Sitka for 12 years and never had a firearm rust from the weather conditions. That's what they invented RemOil and Paste Wax for.

Cool Congrats!!!!

Wish I had won a new BB gun much less a 270 win., already got 1 though. Makes a dandy light weight rifle for animals up to about 500 lbs. or so. Just coat the exterior metal parts with RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease) and enjoy your new rifle. Consider adding a synthetic stock as wood stocks will swell and warp when wet and freeze and twist when cold. GOOD LUCK with your new rifle.

Thumbs up Free Gun!

Thats great. A coworker of mine won a .300 Win mag at an SCI banquet but wanted to give it to his kid, soooo he did some dealing with a local gun shop and ended up with a great rifle in 30.06. He got a good deal because it hadn't been fired.