Thread: moving to alaska from oregon

Default moving to alaska from oregon

hi had a question what is the best route?we will be moving up that way this summer from oregon up I-5 thru wash.is it better to cross the border thru I-5 and travel to Vancover or cross at Abbotsford.We are traveling with 2 rigs pulling a 5th wheel and a travel trailer.And what is the best route to dawson creek?would really appreciate any help thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by Strohz View Post
    hi had a question what is the best route?we will be moving up that way this summer from oregon up I-5 thru wash.is it better to cross the border thru I-5 and travel to Vancover or cross at Abbotsford.We are traveling with 2 rigs pulling a 5th wheel and a travel trailer.And what is the best route to dawson creek?would really appreciate any help thanx.
    A little more information would be helpful. Are you looking to make time or taking your time to see the sights? Hopefully you have some time to enjoy the trip.

Starting out, I wouldn't bother with Vancouver. I would look at taking 539 from I-5 to the border (just west of Abbotsford). It is a straight shot from I-5 and was really quick getting across the last time through. After that, there are some options depending your desire for what kind of trip you are looking for.

Only once did I make the mistake of going thru Vancouver. Never again! Luckily I was only driving a car that trip and was heading to Whistler anyhow. The smaller the border crossing the better. You may still get stopped and unloaded, but you really run the risk of a big hassle at a larger crossing. From the west side after crossing the border I have always gone hope, cache creek, 100 mile house, williams lake, prince george, chetwynd, dawson creek, muncho lake, watson lake, etc...

Cross the border at Sumas, WA.
    #1 most important never leave at home item: www.Milepost.com. Pick up a copy.