Thread: To Lube or not Lube Drag Washers?

Default To Lube or not Lube Drag Washers?

I'm a bit confused on this one. I'm dealing with ABU drag washers. I have carbon fiber and smoothie drag washers. Some say to degrease the washers and some say use Cal or Shimano drag grease. What say you folks?

THIN coat of Cals on carbon fiber.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default same as Doc

Many bad reel problems start as a drag problem that gets neglected or ignored. With carbon fiber and Cal's grease, you'll likely never experience a drag problem unless you really contaminate things by dropping it in Ship Cr mud or something like that. If that happens, you'll need to break it down and clean it up.

I don't recommend you mix smoothies and carbon fiber, if that's what you're doing. Go all carbon or smoothies. The carbon ones seem to perform better, longer, in my experience.

Ambassadeurs, Bantam Mag 50s, Calcuttas, Triton 100's and 200's--I've replaced all the factory stuff with carbon fiber and Cal's. Best preventative maintenance and performance improvement I've ever done on my reels. Very smooth, predictable, long lasting drag performance is what I got for the effort.

I also use Cal's grease on the gears of the aforementioned reels. That way I don't have to worry about cross contamination between the gear grease and the drag grease.

Default where

where can I get some Cal grease in anchorage?

Cal's works great for me but don't over-do it.....very light coating!

If any further doubt, check with teh reel gurus on Allcoast Sportfishing forum or Bloodydecks.com forum......those tuna fishermen really put some starin on a reel.

Default Cal's

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Cal's works great for me but don't over-do it.....very light coating!

If any further doubt, check with teh reel gurus on Allcoast Sportfishing forum or Bloodydecks.com forum......those tuna fishermen really put some starin on a reel.

http://www.smoothdrag.com/