Thread: Thompson water seal for canvas wall tents?

Default Thompson water seal for canvas wall tents?

I was curious to see if anyone has used thompson's water seal to treat and condition canvas, like wall or army tents? I know they make canvak and other water proofers but I was curious to see if anyone has used Thompson's and what luck they had, in other words, I'm thinking of using it...
    Thanks Billy

Yes, I've used it. I've tried it on both lightweight nylon and heavy canvas tents. Application is fairly easy with a sprayer (set up the tent, close everything & spray the outside). It takes a couple days of warm, dry weather for it to dry. It seemed to work just fine. My only complaint was that the odor of the sealer remained in the tent for a long time.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Ditto what JOAT said

Thompson's works great. I used it on a home made boat top and it shed the water very well, but the smell lingers forever and will give you a headache! There may be a flammability factor for a tent as well.
    The smaller that government becomes, the bigger my support for it will be. The opposite is also true.

I've used it on wall tents for 40 years.....works great .....I lay my tent out on garage floor and spray it with a garden sprayer.....does concrete floor at same time....seals floor and makes for easier sweeping....good stuff!

I just buy a gallon or two of canvas sealer like the one sold at AK Tent & Tarp, Cabela's, and a lot of tother places. Thompson's is just too flammable, specially the fumes. Both smell, however.

You want to use:
    -Canvak: I have used this one. It stinks like Thompson's, but it's made for canvas tents. After using it, leave the tent outdoors for a few days to air-out before you sleep in it.
    -Iosso Products Water Repelent (supposed to be good, but I have never used it)

I don't know about this one, but you can use it on natural fabrics like cotton:
    -http://www.trek7.com/what-is-the-best-way-to/waterproof-fabric?gclid=CPPOq62Cl6ECFRkcawod7UFBag

Years ago I was told about Thompson's for my Cabela's tent fly. I pour some in a bucket and soak the fly in it. I then air dry the fly for a day or two. Fumes and smell all dissipate. Never had any failure nor flammability issues in the field
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather