Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hundreds of shrimp pots lost every year

Default Hundreds of shrimp pots lost every year

One interesting thing I heard when I went to the shrimping seminar at the sportsman's show a few weeks ago was the every October when F&G is in PWS doing whatever it is they do out there, they find hundreds of pots that are floating around suspended beneath buoys. I know that pots do get stolen every year, but this goes to show that there are also lots of pots that simply float away. I was surprised to hear those numbers.

Default I lost 1 last year......

when I tried to pull it through my anchor puller....bet they didn't find that one!

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    One interesting thing I heard when I went to the shrimping seminar at the sportsman's show a few weeks ago was the every October when F&G is in PWS doing whatever it is they do out there, they find hundreds of pots that are floating around suspended beneath buoys. I know that pots do get stolen every year, but this goes to show that there are also lots of pots that simply float away. I was surprised to hear those numbers.
    Not surprised, we see buoys floating out in 1200 to 1500 feet all the time. My wife won’t let me get close to them; she likes to leave all buoys alone unless you find them washed up on the beach. Think about it, you try and hit a 650ft spot with 200ft of extra line, but if they drift just 100 to 150 feet out then you’re in 1000+ feet…off goes your pots. The current down 200 feet can be moving in a different direction than on top, so often times it is a crap shoot trying to hit a depth line down 6 to 7 hundred feet.
    I always set uphill if on a slope that goes deeper than the amount of line on my set, this way at least the line is acting like a drag while the pots settle…just my theory.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I realize this fly's in the face of conventional wisdom offered by many including the State. Try setting parallel to the shore! It's a lot easier to "hit" that depth line AND in most locations any current is traveling back and forth in the same direction you are!
    No problems yet and haven't lost anything either.
    Mike

We have found pots floating in the middle of Port Wells and Nellie Juan and have returned them to their owners. If a buoy is obviously a shrimp buoy based upon the info on it and is found floating in 1,500+ feet of water, we'll pull it and return it. It's only happened twice on our boat, but I don't doubt it is a common occurance. Incidentally, both strings we found were no more than 200' total.

On a side note, just because a buoy is in deep water doesn't mean it is a shrimping line. We longline sablefish in 2,000' and deeper. Granted, we mark our lines with flagpoles, but not all fishermen do.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    We have found pots floating in the middle of Port Wells and Nellie Juan and have returned them to their owners. If a buoy is obviously a shrimp buoy based upon the info on it and is found floating in 1,500+ feet of water, we'll pull it and return it. It's only happened twice on our boat, but I don't doubt it is a common occurance. Incidentally, both strings we found were no more than 200' total.

On a side note, just because a buoy is in deep water doesn't mean it is a shrimping line. We longline sablefish in 2,000' and deeper. Granted, we mark our lines with flagpoles, but not all fishermen do.

I have not brought the pots back to town, but I have pulled them and re-set them properly and given the owners a call with the location, a couple of times. I have always been a bit gun shy having someone elses pots in my boat. One set had been floating around the Sound for half the season.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I have not brought the pots back to town, but I have pulled them and re-set them properly and given the owners a call with the location, a couple of times.
    Probably a wise idea. I'll take that approach if there is a next time.

I wonder what F& G does with all these "recovered" pots?
    Do they try and contact the owners?
    Do they auction them off?
    If they don't try and contact the owners and the info is on them, are they not guilty of stealing...
    Just a thought.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I wonder what F& G does with all these "recovered" pots?
    Do they try and contact the owners?
    Do they auction them off?
    If they don't try and contact the owners and the info is on them, are they not guilty of stealing...
    Just a thought.
    BK
    Also if they are picking these up after the close of season aren't these people still shrimping Illegally?

I heard they contact you by calling the phone number that is hopefully on the buoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Also if they are picking these up after the close of season aren't these people still shrimping Illegally?

I was unable to pull my pots by the end of the season several years ago due to nasty weather. I went back out the following weekend and my pots were gone. When I got home there was a message from AST. They had my pots as well as a healthy ticket for me. I told them that I tried to get out to pull them, but the sea conditions did not allow for a safe retrieval. After a lot of talking I ended up with a warning and they kept my pots! Not sure what happens to them bought I suspect that there is a pile of them stored somewhere including mine!

Default Girdwood State Troopers Office

Girdwood State Troopers Office is the ones who are said to be for that distric, but I have not been able to get a lot of info. Called and talked to someone once. I also wonder where the pots go?
    A lot get floated away , log could catch and so on, some get stolen but for some reason I have lost to many in the last couple years after a lot of years out there.
    I started marking mine with Stainless Steel Tie Wraps stamped with DA and colored Tie warps and a picture,so if I ever see in a garage sale, bingo.
    Often wondered what it would be like to set the pots and go hide and watch?

Default Leaving pots

Whenever you have a problem picking pots the best thing to do is call the Troopers. We have had boat problems and weather problems before. We call the Trooper, explain the situation, and it has never been a problem.

Picked up pots or confisicated pots used to be kept out on Raspberry Road at the barn.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs down

That's pretty crappy right there spoiled one, not that I'm surprised based on what interaction I've had with state troopers. They should have returned your pots at least.

Default dayum

Was the fine healthier than the cost of the pots and line? Holy macaroni tomato salad....... You should feel defiled..........

I suspect that in the future if you notify AST/ADF&G on the last day of the season that you want to retrieve the pots but are unable b/c of unsafe weather they would be more friendly.

just a thought. seems like if you don't let them know then you haven't really covered your butt.

This occurred back in 2001 or 2002. I am not sure if I was told what the fine was or not. I was told that I was being cited for fishing out of season. I had two pots that were cheap and did not fish well compared to the gear I use today. I really did not care about the pots, but would have liked to have been able to recover my buoy and line. In hindsight I probably should have been a bit more proactive and called the troopers. I am not whining or complaining, just stating my experience.

Check craigslist for your pots that you say AST has. There was a guys last year that said he worked in whittier as an AST helper that was selling them for real cheap. I wondered where he got all those pots but now that you guys mentioned it they could be yours.

Interesting you would think that AST would recognize that there was dangerous seas and give the benefit of the doubt up front. It isn't like the weather is a secret, you would think that they would appreciate you not going out in bad weather and potentially requiring a rescue thus putting trooper and CG lives in danger. I guess a call is a good idea but I would have expected some common sense...

Is it usually a matter of the pots not having enough weight?

I mean given the huge tide swings (bigger even than we have here in BC) a person must need 5# a trap easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast