Thread: 96 Evinrude fuel/oil pump

Default 96 Evinrude fuel/oil pump

I noticed oil accumulating on my fuel/oil inlet hoses and began troubleshooting for the leak. As I pulled the fuel line off the engine connection and squeezed the line inside the cowl going to the fuel/oil pump oil came spitting out the fuel connection. I didn't think oil should be backfilling the fuel line from the pump, so I'm assuming the pump is bad? Anyone have any experience with this situation?

Justa thought...did you fog the engine last fall?
    BK

Actually, no I forgot to fog the pistons. I'm using the Evinrude D-30 I believe, which is red. What is coming out of the fuel line appears to be straight oil based on the color, with very little fuel dilution.

I dismantled the VRO pump and it appears the oil mixes with the fuel in the fuel chamber and the mixture is then fed to the outlet. I'm wondering if i'm just getting too much oil in the mixture. I did have some problems with idling this summer and more than usual smoke. The VRO pump internals (seals etc.) seem to be fine. I'm also thinking my "one way" inline fuel filter is bad due to the oil backfeeding beyond the fuel filter.

well, I think it's just time for a new motor.