Thread: Winch line

Default Winch line

I broke my winch line yesterday and it broke where I can't salvage it. If I did it would only be 15 feet long Anyhow where at in anchorage can I buy some more line and what do you guys think of the synthetics to replace the original wire line it is a warn winch 4500lb rated as well. One last thing buddy found some stuff online that was rated up to 8400lbs that is what I'm looking for... Thanks

I bought the blue synthetic rope on Ebay...great stuff. I had my 20' Seark Predator, overloaded for moose camp wedged on a silt bar. The guys with me saw the little 3/8" synthetic rope and said no way that line would handle pulling ~2000lbs off a silt bar. It handled it with no problems.
    It's not cheap, but well worth the price. I'll be replacing the cable on my ATV winch with it when needed.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Six States is a Warn dealer and should have cable. I don't know where to find synthetics in town and most folks here order it online anyway. As far as I know you will need to go back to a hawse fairlead or a special roller one to eliminate any issues with the synthetic stuff. I know people that still use the roller fairlead for cable but you have to be careful at certain angles.

Post Synthetic Winch Line

Here is a site for synthetic winch lines. They also make some nice recovery gear.

http://www.masterpull.com/

Default Try AIH

I saw some there.

Arctic Wire&rope has spectra rope.
    Only thing on the synthetic rope is not to get grease,oil and fuel on it.
    Will weaken and degrade it.
    Also wash out the rope if it drowns in dirt/silt as this puts extra wear on them.

Quote Originally Posted by rednexrus View Post
    Here is a site for synthetic winch lines. They also make some nice recovery gear.

http://www.masterpull.com/
    Thanks I found this site as well, Just hoping soemone here in the Anchorage area has some of this stuff

AIH local or go to motoalliance.com for a kit with hawse for a good price and delivered quickly. AIH will honor the warranty on their rope as well. You will have to switch to a new hawse (you could use a quality new roller as well) fairlead or you will continue to break the rope until you do.

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default 323

The PX has the synthetic in the sporting goods section, and I also seen both the synthetic and metal at AIH the other day. That was the AIH in Mt View, I think Commercial Drive.

The PX has an orange synthetic around 80 bucks and AIH had a Blue one around 77.

One was 3/8 inch the other 5/16 if my memory serves me correctly. Can't remember which was where though.

Ralph

Donaldsons fish loft (c-street and Potter)
    I was just asking the owner about winch line and he sells some pretty stout stuff. I forgot what he called it but it wasn't spectra. Spendy though.

Donaldson's net loft I mean

I've been eyeing a super light kevlar winch cable by Cabellas. $70 for a 50'. I've also thought of buying it to use as rope for my snowmobile in the winter (for those "super stucks" where you have to get some leverage to pull it out). Weight is always a concern when sledding, not as much of a concern for ATV riding. It has a 4000 lb max working load, which would be more than adequate for my needs ATV'ing and sledding, and unlike cable doesn't store energy so if it snaps it doesn't lash back.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te....form23&Go.x=0
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.