Thread: Taxidermists in Ketchikan

Default Taxidermists in Ketchikan

I am coming to POW island in May and I wanted to get pricing on bear rugs. I'm debating on having a local taxidermist do it here in Texas or have someone do it there. Any suggestions??

I would get plenty of picts of the bear from all angles and take tape measurements of head-width, length, dimensions between eyes, etc. and take it to Texas.

Default ktn taxis

But Kingfish he will have a Texan looking Black Bear ...

There are two Taxidermists here in town ... but they do 'medium' quality work and one charges a high 'quality' rate while the other charges a medium quality rate. There are 2 new Taxidermists starting out on POW ... at least new to POW ... the new sealing agent in Craig's brother I believe is going to do work through his brother referal ... and there is a new to the area Taxidermist starting up business up in Coffman Cove ... can't remark on quality of work.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    But Kingfish he will have a Texan looking Black Bear ...

There are two Taxidermists here in town ... but they do 'medium' quality work and one charges a high 'quality' rate while the other charges a medium quality rate. There are 2 new Taxidermists starting out on POW ... at least new to POW ... the new sealing agent in Craig's brother I believe is going to do work through his brother referal ... and there is a new to the area Taxidermist starting up business up in Coffman Cove ... can't remark on quality of work.
    I have some of the local "medium" quality work and am suggesting he might be able to do better else where.

Do you guys know the going rate? The taxidermist here charges $200.00 per foot.

Smile restrictions

I too have some of the "medium" work from Ketchikan. I'd find someone else to do it.

Depending on the initial quality of the animal you harvest.....the final product is something you'll look at for a long time.

If you need to have it shipped to a good tannery and save your coin to go with a high quality taxi. $200 a ft is fairly normal. Brown bears are more $275 a ft. This is based on the nose to tail demension of the animal after tanning. Clarify this detail or you'll get charged an extra ft.

Look around at what others have and inquire as to who did their work. If you like the features of the face thats a start.

The rugging is often different too. Some glue felt......some sew it. The sewing is gonna cost you but then you have a durable rug. Look at the ears...some post em up, some just let em flop. Look at the paw....some take the time to splay the claws, some let em flop.

You pay for all the little things with taxidermy. Artistic quality is a unique and special talent for individuals in the taxidermy proffession. Art in it's nature is subjective. Take the time and analyze bear taxidermy. Someone that does alot of bear work is your best choice normally. Then again......some taxidermists just have a hand and eye for many animals and just do it right.

I've got a few bears......I've made the mistake of thinking a taxi is a taxi and just paid my bucks and got "medium work". Now I've got a Brown Bear at a high quality taxidermist. I won't even share his name. He's the type that does work for friends on a limited basis because he focuses on every piece and doesn't want his work to suffer because of volume. He's also got my Dall Sheep. He's been calling me to discuss forms, sending felt samples, and going over every last detail. Even the fleshing, drying, and salting process was heavily discussed. You'll know a good taxi that cares when you meet him/her.

With modern shipping I wouldn't hesitate to ship anywhere in the USA. If you flesh, salt and dry that hide well it's gonna be good for enough time that you can continue researching.

Sorry I didn't give any specific recommendations. I hope the above info helps. Good luck!