Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hope and Sunrise C&T use of kenai mtn caribou herd...

Default Hope and Sunrise C&T use of kenai mtn caribou herd...

looks like a "subsistence hunt" is on the way... despite the fact that the mining community of hope was instrumental in the original extirpation of the herd.
    i have a PDF that has a lot more info, but it is too big to post.
    maybe brian can help...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Woopie, this means NO More "DLP" Caribou............ Wack-em, and throw them into the Otter II, and let the Subsistance Ski-Doo Superwide track pack-em out. Now I can brag that I bring out my caribou in "ONE" Load......

Here's the pdf that Dave sent along.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thumbs up OK

I am OKDOKIE with it if the rest of you are.

This is no different than any of the other priveleged hunts. More coming, way more, because too few Alaskan's are willing to stand up for their constitution.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default alaskan's turning on alaskan's

very, very sad what this -continued dividing of neighboors- is going to cause.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by hooternanny View Post
    Rest assured hoot, it is being carefully orchestrated. This is no accident. Merely one more stepping stone in the path to a land you have yet to imagine. We have watched it happening all along, with increased temp. All but a few have sat back and allowed it. This time will be no different.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Looks like I need to move to Hope. I really do like the Kenai Mts caribou hunt.

Hey, AGL...do you know if the school needs a high school teacher?

So is this completed? I read the pdf. file but could not, or did not see the effective date. next year? When?

i thought they were possibly closing the school in hope a while back?

or at least there was talk. if my memory is right 10 students is the threshold for the state funding a rural school and they were at 7 so students so there was talk of closing it. must have been a few years back.

if the federal harvest limit is 5 caribou, that should not impact the regular draw permits too much...barring future changes...

Don't see a divideing of neighbors as both get the same. It may divide more between the folks with cheap food and fuel that want the best of both worlds

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    i thought they were possibly closing the school in hope a while back?
    Yeah, that was in the news a couple years back, but I think they managed to attract a couple families to town and thus saved the school.

I was kidding, by the way.

I am sorry to see this happen, as it sets a rather ridiculous standard for what should be considered "customary and traditional". Selfish motives aside (and I certainly have some here), this sets (or furthers?) a very bad precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    if the federal harvest limit is 5 caribou, that should not impact the regular draw permits too much....
    actually, since the current harvest success is about 10% of the available tags (150) then we could potentially expect to see the number of permits reduced by 1/3.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

is the kenai herd even strong enough for subsistence hunting? i know theres not very many. and will you still be able to put in for a tag?

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Looks like I need to move to Hope. I really do like the Kenai Mts caribou hunt.

Hey, AGL...do you know if the school needs a high school teacher?

We have a temporary school teacher now who lives in Soldotna. Note one teacher has all 14 children from grades 1 through 12. Contact the KPSD.

Default what you don't see is

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Don't see a divideing of neighbors as both get the same. It may divide more between the folks with cheap food and fuel that want the best of both worlds
    it is a dividing of neigboors, hunters and alaskan's. they are drawing lines between us all on the ROAD SYSTEM and it's the road system where it don't belong. any balanced opinion can rationalize that we'll all feel one way or another about it- depending upon what side of the road your on, but i see these people daily but we live by different rules? i can not see how this is good for any alaskan's no matter what side of the line your on.

for example, i know a 2 people who work at fred meyer who live in ninilchik and i don't know if they subsistence hunt or not-but they could. i know 5 people who live in ninilchik that work on the slope, 3 of which claim subsistence- and i assume you know how well that pays. tell me they don't shop in anchorage to boot.

the facts are plain. the planets population has doubled in the last 50 years. pressure on resources means your resources too and use of them is growing exponetially. if we can't back off of them collectively, then we'll all back off of them individually.

i got neighboors who need a couple extra months to shoot they're moose legally and because they couldn't get one when we all had our chance. and thats eventually going to hurt the very one's it's supposed to serve by increasing hunting pressure and demishing everyones chances afield. i could write a book on everything that's wrong about subsistence on the road. anyone who eats what they harvest is performing subsistence by definition. tell me anchorage hunters shouldn't divided up neighboorhoods to hunt squirel's with pellet guns. this is bad news for all. the state ain't doing it. it's more federal crap in our pant's. or maybe that depends on where i put my closeline. some pant's get crapped in and some don't for now. but mark my words

this maybe good for you personally right now, but give it some time. my offer still stands. i'll send a sympathy card to anyone when what happened to me- happens to them too. afterall, no matter what direction i go- it's just right down the road......

Default DC001 is in it's 2nd year from closing

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    actually, since the current harvest success is about 10% of the available tags (150) then we could potentially expect to see the number of permits reduced by 1/3.
    when you consdier the time of year they'll hunt and they type of motorized access they'll have at that time.....and if they can harvest 5 animals each.

-the herd aint that big........nor that stable.

DC001 is..................byebye

Default .......sniffle

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    is the kenai herd even strong enough for subsistence hunting? i know theres not very many. and will you still be able to put in for a tag?
    no worries mate!
    the fed's got this
    DC001 say byebye

it is a dividing of neigboors, hunters and alaskan's. they are drawing lines between us all on the ROAD SYSTEM and it's the road system where it don't belong.....

Soldotna, AK. is 85 miles from Hope, Alaska. I sure hope you are not inferring we are neighbors. I feel you have more right to the resources in your area than I do, just as I feel Homedave has more right to the resources in his area than me, Fish or Game.

And yes, after having lived here 41 years, I feel I should have more right to the Caribou in my own back yard, than someone who has never seen Alaska, and won a Draw Permit, and then asks, "Where is Hope, Alaska", and where do I park and shoot a B&C Caribou with-in 1/2 mile of the road"....?????

At this time there are few people in Hope, Alaska who have ever field dressed any game. And only two or three who are serious hunters, so I don't expect much impact from this change. Yes, there could be hunters who will now declare their residency Hope, AK. but with the town so small they risk discovery and maybe the loss of their PFD as you can only have one personal residence.

Default responces is red for contrast-

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Soldotna, AK. is 85 miles from Hope, Alaska. I sure hope you are not inferring we are neighbors. I feel you have more right to the resources in your area than I do, just as I feel Homedave has more right to the resources in his area than me, Fish or Game. cooper landing is about 40 road miles from me, and so is ninilchik.....and so is hope as the crow flies. i have no more right to any resources than you do. infact now, quite the opposite will occur. i don't get any extra kings on the kenai, nor do you get more pinks. same as towns like eagle or circle or central, it's end of the road living... but you can get to anchorage and back much faster than i can.

And yes, after having lived here 41 years, I feel I should have more right to the Caribou in my own back yard, than someone who has never seen Alaska, and won a Draw Permit, and then asks, "Where is Hope, Alaska", and where do I park and shoot a B&C Caribou with-in 1/2 mile of the road"....????? i agree

At this time there are few people in Hope, Alaska who have ever field dressed any game. And only two or three who are serious hunters, so I don't expect much impact from this change. Yes, there could be hunters who will now declare their residency Hope, AK. but with the town so small they risk discovery and maybe the loss of their PFD as you can only have one personal residence.
    i'll take your word for it and pretend it will remain that way. but keep me posted on large vacant land for sale. 10-40 acre parcels. my choice is cooper landing of the 3. just not much for sale coming outa there yet.

when you consdier the time of year they'll hunt and they type of motorized access they'll have at that time.....and if they can harvest 5 animals each.

-the herd aint that big........nor that stable.

DC001 is..................byebye

On this issue, I agree 100% with you hooternanny, but the above quote is not accurate...they are going to allow 5 TOTAL fed caribou to be harvested...for now.. and I honestly doubt those 5 will get harvested with snowmachines..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast