Thread: Bottom Paint Advice

Default Bottom Paint Advice

I am planning on leaving my boat in a slip more this year, with some time in Whittier as well as in Seward. My boat is only a year old, and is aluminum. I spent around 6 weeks in the water last summer, although it was not continuous. I have heard the advice about using bleach to clean it, which I am planning on trying and will see how often I need to do this. What I am curious about is others experience in botton painting a boat. Does it add much weight or drag? Do you have any recommendations for a reputable place to do this in Anchorage? What cost should I expect for a 31' boat? What product do you recommend applying, or do you just go with what they say?

Thanks,
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Jim I think Seward Dry dock and Ship Chandlery. I've seen them doing bottom paint.
    Boatless

I have a Kingfisher 2825. It's about 31' overall. A year ago a guy in Wasilla (I don't remember the company name) was going to come in (ANC) and look at and give me a quote, but said it would be somewhere around $3000. That's when I talked to Steve (Potbuilder), and he told me the bleach method. I leave mine in the water all summer (March-October), and I cleaned it three times with bleach, when I had it out for oil change, etc. It worked really well. My experience is, most of the growth ocurrs from the end of May until the end of August, when the harbor temp is at it's highest, along with the most daylight. I use a garden sprayer and a gallon of bleach each time. After I spray it on I take it over to the car wash (Homer) and high pressure it off. It costs me about $15.00 at the car wash plus the gallon of bleach. I highly recommend goggles and clothes you don't care about when applying it, as the wind can blow it back. It can sting a little. Don't need to ask me how I know.

Default I'm getting mine done right now

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I am planning on leaving my boat in a slip more this year, with some time in Whittier as well as in Seward. My boat is only a year old, and is aluminum. I spent around 6 weeks in the water last summer, although it was not continuous. I have heard the advice about using bleach to clean it, which I am planning on trying and will see how often I need to do this. What I am curious about is others experience in botton painting a boat. Does it add much weight or drag? Do you have any recommendations for a reputable place to do this in Anchorage? What cost should I expect for a 31' boat? What product do you recommend applying, or do you just go with what they say?

Thanks,
    Hey jrogers I'm in the process of getting mine done right now in Palmer. The fella is doing mine and one other one as we speak. If you wanna come by the shop its by the fair grounds PM me I'll give ya directions. The guy doing it is the man Jeff From Perrigrine/Sea State one (formerly Grayling) and Reynolds Marine in Anchorage hires he's supposedly the best guy in the state at bottom painting aluminum. After watching the process there no way in heck I'm gonna do it! Supposedly he painted the bottom of a 90'grayling landing craft and he went though 4 helpers in the process (lol) anyway this is my boats 2nd season as well. Its 32' x11' and its costing 2600.00 I know I'm gonna pick up some speed cause its supposedly slick as all get out. thats not the primary reason I'm painting the bottom, corrosion is my biggest worry and the green snot and barnacles can't grow either

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Hey jrogers I'm in the process of getting mine done right now in Palmer. The fella is doing mine and one other one as we speak. If you wanna come by the shop its by the fair grounds PM me I'll give ya directions. The guy doing it is the man Jeff From Perrigrine/Sea State one (formerly Grayling) and Reynolds Marine in Anchorage hires he's supposedly the best guy in the state at bottom painting aluminum. After watching the process there no way in heck I'm gonna do it! Supposedly he painted the bottom of a 90'grayling landing craft and he went though 4 helpers in the process (lol) anyway this is my boats 2nd season as well. Its 32' x11' and its costing 2600.00 I know I'm gonna pick up some speed cause its supposedly slick as all get out. thats not the primary reason I'm painting the bottom, corrosion is my biggest worry and the green snot and barnacles can't grow either
    Sounds interesting. Can you give me contact info for him? Is he doing it in your shop or in his? How does he prep it before paint? How is he lifting the boat off the trailer? I don't have time to drive up, but I will be interested to hear what you think about it when he is done.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I sent ya a PM..

I would suggest sending Cliffhanger a PM as he recently had his new Bay Weld's hull bottom painted down in Homer.

Doug