Thread: HUGE "Survival Kit" sale ( Hip flask to 1.75 liter)

Question HUGE "Survival Kit" sale ( Hip flask to 1.75 liter)

Interesting that so many Alaskan ATV and Snow Machine operators carry lots of liquid survival gear, but no sleeping bag, or first aid kit, Vaseline soaked lint, or highway flare......

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Interesting that so many Alaskan ATV and Snow Machine operators carry lots of liquid survival gear, but no sleeping bag, or first aid kit, Vaseline soaked lint, or highway flare......
    Probably too many people don't carry any survival gear but a lot of folks do. I don't carry a sleeping bag but do carry one of those reflective bivy bags, highway flares, candles, extra clothing, a little food and water, tinder, knife, flashlight, compass, medical supplies, etc. Along with my avy gear, my gear gets split between a small backpack and a tunnel bag. Most people I know carry some basics. I carry even more on my ATV than I do on my sled, mostly because I can, and because (somewhat surprisingly to some) 50 degree summer weather can be more prone to cause hypothermia than 20 degree winter weather both because people don't dress for it and because they get wet. I even added a nice sil-tarp this year.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.