Thread: Will an A-1 float two shrimp pots?

Default Will an A-1 float two shrimp pots?

Will an A-1 buoy be adequate for a 2 pot string, 2 of Steveís non-folding pots weighted with like 12 pounds a piece? I really like the size verses the A-2s, they take up less room on the boat and I can use them for bumpers. I guess what I am wondering is, will the A-1 float the string if I miss the spot and the pots drop below the line length or current moves them off the mark. Iím using 3 lines, two pots each with about 600ft of sinking and 200 foot of floating.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Pretty close

A-1's will do close to 30lbs. A-2's close to 70lbs. Weigh your gear to figure it out. The water will lighten your load due to specific gravity, but not much.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Da!! I finally found that info on-line 29lbs for A-1 and 68lbs for A-2. Guess I will get out the scale or just chance it. I do know that one A-2 will float 4 of Steveís pots because I pulled them with that size of buoy. The Ace is only good for 2 potsÖand sometimes barely that.

No Steve, I am not ready to buy your super pot puller yet.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

The most pots I've made the Ace pull at a time was 3. But the only weight I have is a 10-lb. mushroom anchor at the end of the line holding things in place. Ace now has a supposedly new and improved motor for their pullers that is supposed to be 40% faster. I called Ace and ordered one. We'll see if it's any better. I'll keep the older (5 yrs old) motor for a spare. The Ace salesman at the sports show said the motors they use are windshield wiper motors for big rigs. They must swing a pretty big wiper blade is all I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Ace now has a supposedly new and improved motor for their pullers that is supposed to be 40% faster. I called Ace and ordered one. We'll see if it's any better. I'll keep the older (5 yrs old) motor for a spare. The Ace salesman at the sports show said the motors they use are windshield wiper motors for big rigs. They must swing a pretty big wiper blade is all I can say.
    Skydiver, How much for the new motor? I have 5 years on mine also with no complaints but faster is better.

Default A-1

I have used an A-1 for years with 5 pots. The only place in town that has any left is AMD on commercial. Everyone else including BJ's was out of everything. West Marine had one A-2.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default AIH

AIH on commercial has a whole shelf full of bouy's - looked like 4 different sizes or so......

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Skydiver, How much for the new motor? I have 5 years on mine also with no complaints but faster is better.
    Mine was new last year but don't think it's the fast one. The problem with fast is it stands to reason you would comprimize some power.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Strange

My Ace is like 4 years old, I pull 3 pots on one string and 2 pots on the other
    10 pounds of lead in each pot
    350 feet of sinking line
    600 feet of floating.

It will pull the almost 1000 feet in under 7 minutes with a load of shrimp in each one.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Da!! I finally found that info on-line 29lbs for A-1 and 68lbs for A-2. Guess I will get out the scale or just chance it. I do know that one A-2 will float 4 of Steveís pots because I pulled them with that size of buoy. The Ace is only good for 2 potsÖand sometimes barely that.

No Steve, I am not ready to buy your super pot puller yet.
    Thats OK Jay, the day will come but try tying the 2 pots on to the buoy and throw them over the side in the harbor that should give you a good idea if the buoy will float or sink.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Salesman at the sportsman show said $150. I called Ace and they said something like $235. I told them what their salesman told me and they said the best they could do was $197 I think. I was all ready to pull the trigger so I said ok. Add something like $21 for shipping. When the new motor comes in I will compare RPMs of the old to the new.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    My Ace is like 4 years old, I pull 3 pots on one string and 2 pots on the other
    10 pounds of lead in each pot
    350 feet of sinking line
    600 feet of floating.

It will pull the almost 1000 feet in under 7 minutes with a load of shrimp in each one.
    Maybe thatís my problem, been running 600 feet of sinking and about 300 feet of floating. I have been thinking of going the other way only because it makes sense for shallow sets, and 350 feet of sinking should keep 600 feet of floating from rearing itís ugly head on the surface. For now Iíll just go with the A-1s and be cautious where I set.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

To anyone wondering if the a-1 buoy will work. It's not supposed to float your pots
    it's supposed to float the line and it will float 900' of 5/16 weighing a total of 22lbs. If it is floating your pots then your line is to short and you need to add more
    poly. It's like your anchor @ night add extra to account for tide
    and drag of boat or bouy. If you have any worries still then add crab floats so that you have a tag line to grab, something that makes yours stand out against the rest, and lastly for those *********s shooting bouys and more so seals!! They love buoys ask any commercial guy that has tenfold our water time. All got most this info from Fonz @ B&J's last year and killed it!! I went in last week to get prawn bait and they had leadline, poly, buoys any size you could dream, and the bullet crab floats I use. Going out tomorrow! Got 25lbs of tails last week in 4ft seas!! Good luck!! Ask fonz about it he's probably still eating them, the little hobbit!!

We pulled in about 20 gallons of shrimp last weekend with 3 picks using 6 pots. My son and his friend had a blast popping the heads. The A1s worked fine. Pictures show one pot with out 3 gallons or shrimp, 7 gallons total for this pick. Need to take along some bigger buckets next time.
    Sinking line is way more buoyant than leaded, thatís why I use it. Donít know why some stores sell it for shrimping; itís to be used as ground like halibut skates.
    I am really thinking of trying some ľĒ line from Donaldson net loft that has 1700lbs backing strength. It floats so I will have to snap on some weight, but will take up a lot less room in the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Talking Donolans

I got a roll of the floating line {1200 ft} there, split it in half, and then butt spliced each to 400 ft of sinking. The pots attach to the floating end and the bouys to the sinking end
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Default Floating pots

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepncast View Post
    To anyone wondering if the a-1 buoy will work. It's not supposed to float your pots
    it's supposed to float the line and it will float 900' of 5/16 weighing a total of 22lbs. If it is floating your pots then your line is to short and you need to add more
    !
    I think the point is that if you drop your pots and as they fall they drift into water that is deeper than you intended that your pots will be floating and not sink out of sight. That way you can retrieve them and reset everything.
    Also some people use the buoy pull method and in this situation you definetly want a buoy that will float your pots.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"