Thread: Seattle to Anchorage

Default Seattle to Anchorage

My Army buddy is driving back to Ft. Rich and I'm tagging along. When I drove up a few years back (when I was at Ft Rich) I remember seeing a ton of ptarmigan, grouse, and hares along the highway between Tok and Anchorage. We were thinking of stopping to shoot some hares and ptarmigan in the areas where birds are still open. I always hunted around Anchorage and never made it that far up to hunt. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by new2town View Post
    My Army buddy is driving back to Ft. Rich and I'm tagging along. When I drove up a few years back (when I was at Ft Rich) I remember seeing a ton of ptarmigan, grouse, and hares along the highway between Tok and Anchorage. We were thinking of stopping to shoot some hares and ptarmigan in the areas where birds are still open. I always hunted around Anchorage and never made it that far up to hunt. Any suggestions?
    Can't help on the suggestions for where to hunt, but keep in mind (you may already know since you have done it before) that you will need special permits to transport any kind of firearm through Canada. There are a few threads on here addressing that, but you can always contact the border stations and get the details.

Default Something to consider....

You may want to check out the regs. I don't think the small game season will be open in the area when you are coming through ( but you didn't say when...). Be sure before you hunt, and have a great trip

Here's the link to the small game regs.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...dfs/smgame.pdf