Thread: What to do with my trolling motor

Default What to do with my trolling motor

I brought a Minn Kota trolling motor up here with me when I moved a few years ago. Now that I have an ocean boat with a kicker this trolling motor is just sitting in my garage collecting dust. Its a Minn Kota 24volt, 65lb thrust with Autopilot. I've tried selling it on Craigslist here in Anchorage but haven't had a single call. I'll be headed to Reno here in a couple weeks and thought about taking it down and selling it there given very few people seem interested up here.

So is there really no market up here for such a motor or should I keep trying to sell it up here rather than ship it to Reno?

Smile

You could send it to me; C.O.D. of course!

I'd bet you'd be able to sell it in a month. I don't think a lot of folks have their boats out tinkering on them yet. Mine is still in the side-yard and a good 2-3 weeks before coming out. I think you'd do better to post it in May. Just my .02.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by FLIFSH View Post
    You could send it to me; C.O.D. of course!
    Sounds like a plan.

Maybe you're asking too much.

So, how much are you asking for it?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Maybe you're asking too much.

So, how much are you asking for it?
    Well that's a good point and something I wondered about. Down near Reno where I bought this one, they are going for $500 used. They're over $700 on Cabelas. I thought $450 was a fair price. What do you think?

Point is, if I can't get half that up here then it might be worth shipping it down to Reno so I can sell it when I'm there in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Well that's a good point and something I wondered about. Down near Reno where I bought this one, they are going for $500 used. They're over $700 on Cabelas. I thought $450 was a fair price. What do you think?

Point is, if I can't get half that up here then it might be worth shipping it down to Reno so I can sell it when I'm there in a few weeks.
    I think for Alaska, the price may be too high due to the fact there is not really a need for a remote system up here. Its more of a bass accessory IMO. Most folks that use an electric troll motor use it for a dingy or skiff in a lake due to the fact that gas motors are not allowed. You may get your price out of state easier.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I think for Alaska, the price may be too high due to the fact there is not really a need for a remote system up here. Its more of a bass accessory IMO. Most folks that use an electric troll motor use it for a dingy or skiff in a lake due to the fact that gas motors are not allowed. You may get your price out of state easier.
    Kind of what I was thinking but I wanted to get a bigger audiences opinion before I went to the trouble to ship it back south.

I used it to slow troll for cutthroat trout at Pyramid lake. Just point it where you wanted to go and it would take you there while compensating for wind and waves. Sure was nice down there but I don't think there's much of a use for it up here.

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I was thinking exactly what he said. my .02

So far that's 3 for 3. Guess my inclination was right. I guess I'll look into shipping it down south.

Thanks for the help.

Default Too bad...

I've got the perfect little glass 10' boat for that motor. But $450 is a bit more than I'd spend for it given the application. I'll buy a couple oars instead (which I'd have to get anyway).
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I've got the perfect little glass 10' boat for that motor. But $450 is a bit more than I'd spend for it given the application. I'll buy a couple oars instead (which I'd have to get anyway).
    Well no offense. I've been around here for a bit. But as helpful as that response was, I grace your comment with ........

So, to those that answered my questions....thanks again and hope to see you on the water.