Thread: Your thoughts

Default Your thoughts

Used to shoot alot 25 years ago, now the family is raised, my eyes aren't as good. I would like to start shooting a hand gun again and renew my carry permit. I had a 1911 and shot it well. Where do I start again, where I left off and purchase a new 1911? or should I start over with maybe a Ruger Mk III? Wheel gun and red dot or scope etc. Just curious in some of your opinions.

For Personal Defense, if your comfortable with the 1911, why not get another 1911 with laser grips.

I think that lazer sights have there place, mostly inside buildings. I consider my highest risk to be outdoors and being accosted by someone at close range. In this case, statistically, it's going to happen inside 20'. At this distance I see a lazer, or even good eyesight, to not be a big deal. I find with regular practice I can hit 6" steel plates at 20' instinctively without any sights at all. A good high quality handgun with large standard sights is all you are going to need out to 20 yards. We're not shooting bullseye, we are shooting at a 12" center mass circle.

If you are comfortable with a 1911, go for it. I loved my 1911 carry gun. The only problem with it is that it cost as much as three Glocks or XD's to get it as reliable as either of them. For my house gun I have an XDm in .40s&w. I also shoot the XDm for fun. For carry outside the house it's an old K frame snubby in .357 or an old Sigma .380. I found I left the big autos at home more than I carried them. I'd rather have some gun than no gun. The nice 1911 is in the safe to pass down to my son when he gets older.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Dance with who brung ya

Well my father has not so good vision and he likes the larger sights on my taurus revolvers. He can still shoot the others but he says that they are harder. I don't realy know if you can get the semi autos with similar sights.
    Do you know any one who would be willing to take you shooting and allow you to try a variety?

Amigo's giving you good advice - If the 1911 was good for you 30 years ago - it'll do you well today. You might have to go to a red dot for accuracy, if your eyes are giving you problems, but it could be worse. If you need a red dot you might want to consider this type among the many.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.6.1.php

I can relate to having eyes that aren't so good any more. You might look into tritium sights. I got one on my Smith j-frame, and it's easy to pick out with or without glasses. I think one of the manufacturers even makes a "Big Dot" model.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Thanks for the comments. I like the laser grip and red dot ideas they are good ones. I can't pull up the link right now on the red dot suggestion but will look later. Are there any of you that have red dots on 1911s? How do they work for ya?

The gun doesn't matter as much as the sights. Though, if you've been out of the game for 30 years, there are some really nice guns on the market now. They've even been making a lot of guns out of plastic, believe it or not. But they shoot great.

For your eye issues, just get some Express big dot sights and you're all set.

http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html

They work very well.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

If you want to master the handgun, start with a quality 22rf. Most of us can't afford sufficient ammo in centerfire rounds to get in enough shooting to be very proficient pistol shots.

For me, I have to shoot at least once a week with a handgun to be at my best.

Quote Originally Posted by ldh1187 View Post
    Used to shoot alot 25 years ago, now the family is raised, my eyes aren't as good. I would like to start shooting a hand gun again and renew my carry permit. I had a 1911 and shot it well. Where do I start again, where I left off and purchase a new 1911? or should I start over with maybe a Ruger Mk III? Wheel gun and red dot or scope etc. Just curious in some of your opinions.
    You really want to train with the same gun you will carry.
    Will you REALLY be carrying a 1911?

I started with a full frame Browning HiPower, then got smaller with a Commander length 1911, and even that was too big for comfortable CCW for me.

NOW, I have switched to a S&W Snubby, and have found this to be a JOY to carry (I forget it's there, even with Arizona shorts/t-shirt). AND, after jacking with semi-autos I have also come to appreciate the simplicity and reliability of the snubby revolver.

MANY will tell you that it's short "snubby" barrel is "inaccurate"...however, I have found that in my TRAINING CLASSES I can shoot just as well as the full frame semi-auto shooters. MOST training (and most self defense scenarios) take place at LESS THAN 21'...and MOST at "contact" distances.

This makes a longer barrel (and fancy sites) somewhat redundant. A NICE large RED front site is about as good as a person REALLY needs. Sure a laser is NICE...and I'll take one...but not really necessary. Don't worry too much about your eyes not being as they were before. Just as long as you can see 21' or less. (yes, check out Express Big Dots).

5 RELIABLE shots. Easy to CCW. Never a failure to fire/misfeed to clear in an "emergency". Just point and pull the trigger 5 reliable times. HARD to beat! Maybe go with a 3" barrel just for improved volocity.
    But, GO with a GOOD .357 snubby...and TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN with(and carry) it.
    S&W640 or a RugerSP101.
    PUT the extra money into training.

I routinely carried a glock 22 concealed in t shirt and shorts in SC middle of the summer. I currently prefer to carry my kimber tactical entry 2. The Glock and Kimber are both thinner than a revolver. That being said a revolver can be a great choice. Find what is right for you not what we think is right for us.

One of the biggest factors in concealing a firearm comfortably is your choice in a holster. Do not go cheap on a holster. Find a weapon you are comfortable with and than get a holster or holsters to fit your needs. One holster may not do it. I have 3 different types for my kimber. I use the one that fits my need for that day and what I am wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Diashan View Post
    The Glock and Kimber are both thinner than a revolver. That being said a revolver can be a great choice. Find what is right for you not what we think is right for us.

One of the biggest factors in concealing a firearm comfortably is your choice in a holster. Do not go cheap on a holster. Find a weapon you are comfortable with and than get a holster or holsters to fit your needs. One holster may not do it. I have 3 different types for my kimber. I use the one that fits my need for that day and what I am wearing.
    Great post...and some places have a range where you can rent and try various handguns. DO that!!!

It will pay off in making sure you get what FITS you! (just make sure YOU try the simplicity and FIT of the revolver as well as whatever else they try to sell you). What I should have done first...and advise it to you.

Perhaps decide on which carry method you may use FIRST, then get a gun/holster that fits/works FOR YOU!

I GO with the most comfortable (for me) which is OWB (outside t/waist band) with a loose summer shirt over it.

Some folks like IWB, but I'm not one of them.

Some even carry in a fanny pack (some folks call this a "sissy" method) but it's a good alternative if you just customize a small Belt Pack that says "NIKON CAMERA" on it. Then it looks like a "cool camera bag" instead of a "girly-man purse" kinda thing. (commonly heard at gunshops in regards to fanny packs).

Some like a shoulder holster...and you can carry a bigger weapon in one. But, again I want a smaller easy to carry weapon...yet still has .357 power. I also like the "non-snatch" capability of my Blackhawk Serpa "retention" holster.
    It's as much a part of my gun as the sites or grip is now. Clips over the waistband on a pair of shorts OR over the belt/waistband of a fine pair of Suit Pants. Check it out for a good holster.

Default Hard to beat for comfort and reliability...

I do not like paddle holsters. The 3 main I use are.

1. Blackhawk Serpa with belt loops ( I wear this the most )

2. Galco Royal Guard inside the waistband ( most concealable )

3. Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig ( I wear this while running, wearing pants with no belt loops things like that )

If you use a good holster and learn to use them like you do clothing, as part of an outfit, you will be much more comfortable.

Go to a good store if possible and try on the holster. Buying them on-line only works if you are sure what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Diashan View Post
    I do not like paddle holsters. The 3 main I use are.

1. Blackhawk Serpa with belt loops ( I wear this the most )
    I thought the same thing until I tried the PADDLE on the Blackhawk Serpa...it's made with a couple little "barbs" that lock into the clothing...and is VERY stable.

PLUS, most of the time I'm wearing SHORTS (YUP! you heard me right) and that doesn't usually involve a belt. The Serpa Paddle is VERY stable compared to most. Clips onto ANY waistband VERY secure. Either way, look into the BlackHawk Serpa retention holster for a GREAT option. Belt or Paddle style.

Highly recommend a .357 to put in it.

Thanks for all the input. This is a great site with lots of knowledgeable people that share, that's awesome. Now I need to do some shopping, will let you know how i end up.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    For your eye issues, just get some Express big dot sights and you're all set.

http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html

They work very well.
    Do you use these on your G22's?