Thread: Questions about gear

mshoemaker

Default Questions about gear

I'm moving to Juneau soon and would like to bring along most of my fishing gear. I have fished quite a bit in the lower 48 but am not very experienced in fishing the southeast. I'm looking to mainly fish in the local lakes and streams/rivers mostly freshwater. As of now I have a simple Berkley rod and a Shakespeare reel. I mostly use this rod for catching bass, etc running about 4lb test.

Will this rod/reel be expectable for use on lakes, rivers, etc?

Thanks in advance

Default First Time Up There...

When I discovered AK I also discovered broken fishing poles and burnt out bearings. In other words, inexpensively priced equipment that I used in the Lower 48 simply could not stand up to the power of what's in the water up there.

Be specific to what you have in order to get some opinions...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

A light or ultralight rod is great for fishing lakes for rainbows and grayling. I ended up changing from 4# test to 6# because with 4# the lily pads would keep my hung up lures, with 6# I'd get my lures back. Definately a worthwhile rig to have and sometimes it sees the majority of my fishing when I mostly visit local lakes.

Asside from that use, you'll find that in the rivers you need to get a medium weight rod with 10-12# test for the smaller salmon and a heavy rod with 17-20# test for the larger salmon.

mshoemaker

Thanks for the advice!

I'm in Juneau and for lake fishing, I use cheap spinning rods. I've always wanted some nicer rods and reels, but my money goes towards good fly gear. I've broken the chep spinning rods & reels, so you get what you pay for. But for trout, the set up you have should be fine.

If you get into fly fishing, I would definately recomend getting some quality gear.

Once you get here you will soon discover what will work best for the kind of fishing you'll be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by mshoemaker View Post
    As of now I have a simple Berkley rod and a Shakespeare reel. I mostly use this rod for catching bass, etc running about 4lb test.

Will this rod/reel be expectable for use on lakes, rivers, etc?
    I'd say that kind of depends on what kind of Berkley rod or Shakespeare reel you have. They both make some very respectable equipment that I wouldn't think twice about using even for salmon. Though if they're typically used with 4 lb. test line they might be a little on the "light" side for most salmon fishing. But I'm originally from upstate NY and used to fish for bass a lot and still use some of the equipment I used back east for any sort of "ultralight" and "light" types of fishing like lakes for 'bows and grayling. You're going to want something a little stouter for the majority of river fishing you're going to be doing, though.