Thread: prepared for a good canoe trip.

Default prepared for a good canoe trip.

Hey Everyone.

I live in Cooper Landing and have been canoeing since I was a little kid. I love take trips along the Kenai River. Since I was young I've always brought along something to satisfy my hunger along the way. Over the years I have been learning how to reduce my load while canoeing to make it easier on myself. I have been bringing freeze dried food as my main source of food. For one it completely eliminates any need for a stove. Also, It is much lighter, reducing the weight of your entire load, and making your trip easier on yourself. Let me know if this tip was of any help to ya, I've got a lot more!! thanks much!

Devon

What if you are trying to plan your trips on a budget? How does freeze dried food measure up cost wise? Haha leave it to a poor college kid to ask about saving money

Default Food

I vacum pack leftovers and freeze them. Heat a big pot of boiling water, then let them come to temp takes about 18 minutes , do not continue to boil or bag may come apart. Good hot food cheap and no mess. A small cooler will pack a lot of food.

What KK said. In addition to what we make at home, we buy some of the prepared foods at Costco like enchilda's, chicken alfredo, pizza, etc. Vacuum seal and freeze it. Drop into a pot of boiling water when ready to eat, toss away the bags and no clean up.
    Tennessee

Default Canoe Food

It some times amazes me how good food tastes when you are out in the boonies for extended time..
    I don't eat the flavored Oatmeal at home,,, EVER,,, but I eat it every day for breakfast when I am out on a float,, and I love it,,
    I Love to snack on dried fruit on the river also... anouther thing I seldom eat at home..
    One of my favorite canoe trip breakfasts is,,, a peeled orange, a cup of hot chocolate, a bowl of apple cinn oatmeal, and a toasted bagel with butter or cream cheese..
    that is one cheap breakfast,, its easy its fast and its filling....
    I like boil water only breakfasts..
    For lunch, I oft times don't eat much, as I snack as I go on dried fruit, and homemade trail mix, or the Costco or sams club stuff that is cheap by the pound.. I do like to stop for a while and boil water for lunch and have a cup of Hot orange Tang or Tea or chocolate,A sandwich I prepare at breakfast time ,maybe some crackers and some cheese, and even a cup o soup is nice.... Again,, boiled water only..
    For dinners I spend a little more time depending on what time i find camp and what is going on ,,, such as,,, there might be a nice fishing hole and I keep myself working that for a while, or I have meat in camp to tend etc.
    For dinners where I set up camp in the dark or near to it,, or exhausted,,I do use the Dehy prepared meals, a hoagie roll toaste over the stove flame with butter and jam and sometimes I make some instant pudding using pwd milk and cold water,,, I take a special plastic container with a good wide mouth tight fitting lid that will hold the ingredients for the pudding,
    I add them to the container and shake vigorously for a few minutes intil its smooth,, then let it sit as I eat my dinner,, its a great desert, costs little and weighs almost nothing..
    Other nights I might cook up some Meat dish or fresh fish, some dehydrated potatoes with some garlic and butter and garnish with some crated cheese,,, sometimes I make quesadillas on my fry pan... the best ones I like I use either canned chicken or canned beef,, the cans you can get at costco are good quality,, I butter one side of a tortilla and lay in in my fry pan, put the some of the shreaded beef or chicken on in a thin layer about 1/4 inch thick, add some shredded mexican blend cheese, and then put anouther tortilla on top, put a lid on your fry pan.. I use a metal dinner plate for the lid,, fry on low heat until the toritlla is browned, flip with spat and do the other side,,, when done I cut them into the little pizza pieces and add some salsa and sour cream,, great finger foods for dinner,, I can make a half a dozen for a group of 3 guys and they eat until full,,
    These are just a few of the things I do on my river trips that are easy cheap and good, and require little time to prepare..
    I find that on canoe and rafting trips, I don't want to spend much time in the camp kitchen, as I do when I have a setup camp that I return to each day..
    Oft times I don't build fires at all when hunting, and that is sometimes because wood cathering takes time from hunting and fishing, and I don't have any scientific proof, but I don't think most animals like moose and caribou etc. come to fire smoke on purpose..
    lol..
    Some think that camping has to have the wood fire and thats fine for you and your desires...
    Last year I spent many hours hauling firewood to our camp on the Yukon. I was in a power boat though and had a set up camp.. I used my dutch ovens for almost every meal, and enjoyed our lounge chairs around the fire every time we were in camp...
    I just find them less attractive when I am moving camp every night or so and not needed.
    I fire up a coleman lantern and hang it in the tent and play cards on our sleeping bags, read books etc. but seldom on a canoe foat do I build fires.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    It some times amazes me how good food tastes when you are out in the boonies for extended time..
    No doubt about it man.

Best meal I ever had was grayling gumbo and garlic biscuits from the dutch oven. Being on a remote river in arctic NW Alaska with my best friend and brother, the bear walking in camp, the caribou walking by earlier, the sore arms from catching dollies all day, of course had nothing to do with it

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default baitem pay attention to this

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Being on a remote river in arctic NW Alaska with my best friend and brother, the bear walking in camp,
    So, basically, you attract bears no matter where in Alaska you and your partner go, right?

Jess might want to run some test on you next trip to see what's bringing them; I'm betting its your cooking.

Cool tips 4 tips, good spirit in yer post

Quote Originally Posted by devon fletcher View Post
    Hey Everyone.

I live in Cooper Landing and have been canoeing since I was a little kid. I love take trips along the Kenai River. Since I was young I've always brought along something to satisfy my hunger along the way. Over the years I have been learning how to reduce my load while canoeing to make it easier on myself. I have been bringing freeze dried food as my main source of food. For one it completely eliminates any need for a stove. Also, It is much lighter, reducing the weight of your entire load, and making your trip easier on yourself. Let me know if this tip was of any help to ya, I've got a lot more!! thanks much!

Devon
    i have done some of my adventures with freeze dried foods and some with home cooked great tasting dynomite meals from left-over's.

i learned that the cheap top ramen noodles really strech out a mountain house meal and go very well with many of my adventures. it give's a hot meal, weight's little, cost's little, pack's small and swells big in the belly so long as you mix it with something. if nothing else for taste.take out the seasoning and it goes with virtually anything-

tip for tip!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    So, basically, you attract bears no matter where in Alaska you and your partner go, right?

Jess might want to run some test on you next trip to see what's bringing them; I'm betting its your cooking.

Ha ha.. yeah, it seems so. Never had any trouble on remote floats. Bears just being bears and walking around. Some are curious, some not so much and run off. Much like humans when you think about it. Only time a bear caused a "problem" was on the Upper Kenai last year. Bent tent pole and ripped fabric, took my jeans and boots out and chewed on them a bit. We were floating the river at the time. Ironically, no cooking was done near the tent at that time. No food in tent of course. Nothing stupid like that. Just bad luck I guess.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Economical Mtn House...

Well, about $3.50/serving at least.

We don't use freeze dried for everything, but find them handy when weight's an issue. Trying something new this season - bulk Mountain House (link below). Ten servings per can. We'll divide 'em out and vacuum seal them.

Reading about the different foods folks use on trips is interesting in its own right. AKTroutbum told me awhile back about how he's cooked chicken with onions and fiddleheads in foil. Sounded good and getting to be that time of year (fiddleheads) too!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te....form23&Go.x=0

RMK

Default Light weight and cheap

Ask any college student, they know the secret. Top Ramen! that stuff is about a quarter a pack at Costco and it's down right tasty!