Thread: Bigger boat, what am I getting into?

Default Bigger boat, what am I getting into?

First of all I have been quite happy with my 26 Osprey .... but I have run across a deal in Washington state that looks real good, a 2007 Silverton 38SB with the big 440 hp Yanmar diesels and they will take the Osprey in trade.

If any one has experience with the downside of owning a bigger boat could you fill me in on what I might be supprised by. Can I even get it serviced up here? What are the typical expenses? do I have to haul it out and store it on dry land in the winter?

Thanks for your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    First of all I have been quite happy with my 26 Osprey .... but I have run across a deal in Washington state that looks real good, a 2007 Silverton 38SB with the big 440 hp Yanmar diesels and they will take the Osprey in trade.

If any one has experience with the downside of owning a bigger boat could you fill me in on what I might be supprised by. Can I even get it serviced up here? What are the typical expenses? do I have to haul it out and store it on dry land in the winter?

Thanks for your thoughts

Look 1st at slip availability and the costs for the larger boat. Winter time if you leave it in the water(not recommended) but must have a heat source and then have regular checks done. Harbor selection and ice consideration would also drive removal during the winter. Bottom/Drive maintenance is more if left in the water. Lots of growth on the bottom when left inactive. I am going to hazard a guess and say that the boat is over 10 foot wide.....need a pilot car. Over 12 foot wide and you need 2 pilot cars. Next do you have the equipment to move it or will you hire out if not keeping it at port.

As far as having the boat worked on in state is no big deal. Finding a place where you are comfortable leaving it year round may be a different story.

Fuel consumption would be another.....twins, even diesels is going to be a bunch when pushing down the water. The 382 gallon fuel tank would be a give away. I am going to guess at 25 to 30 gallons an hour at cruise. With a cruise speed of less then 20 knots(I believe). Quite a bit more then your 26er.

Do not get a gas engined boat in that size.....most run at 30 to 40 gph at less then 18 knots, most never get fully on step.

Here is a link to the Silverton Forums...just like here good reading to be had.....http://www.yachtforums.com/

A few years ago, I made the leap from a 26' Osprey LC (single i/o gas engine) to a 30' Seasport Voyager (twin i/o diesels).

Upsides: Much more comfortable in every way. Can accomodate my wife and me and our daughter, son-in-law and two grandkids on week-long trips.

Downsides: Much more expensive in every way. Maintaining and repairing two diesels is much more than twice as expensive as maintaining the single gas engine in the Osprey. Hauling and moorage costs are also considerablly higher for the bigger boat. And the bigger boat also uses a lot more fuel. Also, bigger boats just take more time and effort to keep clean, waxed, etc.

I think you can safely assume that the maintenance and operating costs of the bigger boat will be at least twice as much as you're paying with your Osprey, and probably closer to three times as much. And the bigger boat will simply demand more of your time and attention. OTOH, the rewards that come with a bigger boat can be considerable. Only you can decide if they're worth it.

Default bigger boat

Dupont Spinner

Your cruise numbers and what I am being told are very different.

PDF ad says

Engines
    Engine(s): Yanmar 440 X 2 Engine(s) HP: 440 Engine Model: 6LY3-STP X
    Hours: 260 Cruising Speed: 27 Kts Max Speed: 30+ Kts

I love the fact that I can get to Montague from Seward in less than 3 hours and it looked like I could still do that with this kind of speed. I'm thinking that using most of the 880 hp would eat up a bunch of diesel ...

I pay $107 per month for prime downtown storage for the Osprey and it looks like about $500 more per year to get a slip in Seward, if available.

Transport would be to drive the boat up from the seattle area with myself and a couple of friends. Ground transport would only at the docks and for winter storage.

One thing that people will tell you is that parts for a diesel are expensive. It is true. I would guess that the parts and fluids needed for your annual maintainence will exceed your slip costs. I suggest getting a manual for this motor and then go and price all of the parts and fluids. Also, with a 14' beam, you will be much more limited as to where you can take the boat. When researhing my boat I found that the highest price boat was right about the max size you can trailer. There is more 'value' when you get bigger, but that makes sense when you look at the added cost of ownership. I have several friends with 40+ size boats and they love them. It is just a matter of personal preference.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I think I just spotted your boat online. If so, it appears to be a very nice boat at a very good price.

That said, I have little doubt that your repair, maintenance and operating costs for this boat will be more than three times what you're currently spending on your Osprey. And I also have little doubt that the time you personally spend cleaning, waxing, painting, and otherwise tinkering with this boat will be at least three times what you're used to now.

This isn't just a bigger boat, it's is more like a second home. Which is just fine, as long as you can afford the additonal commitments of time and money.

There's a saying that as a boat get's bigger, you use it less. Given our short boating season, and the trouble and expense of maintaining a boat at a remote marina, I'd think long and hard before getting the "good deal" bigger boat. Unless I was going to live on a boat for the summer, I'd be loath to get a boat I couldn't relatively easily trailer.

Looks sharp on the interior, but you sure don't have much cockpit/deck space!

Why is a boat like this appealing to you over something like the Ocean Sport Roamer - basically a 33' Osprey?

Just curious - perhaps you'll do more cruising and less shrimping and fishing?

Default Bigger boat

OK .... What it kinda boils down to is we are at the point of getting a second home / vacation home (old dude 58 and counting) and have spotted a few around Seward that fit the bill. OTOH ... why not get a home on the water, if the deal works out payment would be about 1500 per month about the same as a second home. As to the utility question this boat comes with a 12 ft rigid hull AB inflatable with a 30 hp honda that has a center steering consul and a hydraulic davit to launch. Think of it this way, take your condo out to Pony cove anchor up away from the action, launch the inflatable and go get your salmon.

Looks like I would have to keep it in Homer for a couple of years as Seward has a healthy waiting list. That is OK because Homer is only an hour away in the Cessna C-180.

Oh, so you've got a Cessna 180 too. Very nice. And when are you going to tell us about your helicopter and chateau in the south of France?

And, BTW, I'm 56 and counting, and I am not an "old dude."

Just kidding . . .

Sounds like you know what you're getting into. That's the way the wife and I think of our boat--sort of a mobile cabin. And although it's a lot of money and work, we really do enjoy it.

So, if you're going to buy that thing, seems to me you better hurry before someone else beats to you to it.

Ocnfish,
    Are they giving you a fair price for your boat?
    I presume you are taking the Osprey to WA. to make the deal?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Default bigger boat

First of all ... no helicoptoers, no chateau's just an Alaskan lifestyle for the last 33 years. Bought the Cessna when they were cheap and my mechanic is a good friend. The broker thinks that the 2003 Osprey is worth between 70 & 80 thousand. I would think that is about right for a gas powered one in good shape.

What I have started to think about is the comittment of time and money to make it work. From what I can see right now I will be putting about 2500+ per month to make it happen and a lot of my time. I am begining to think that it would be better to save for a few more years and pay cash to buy a bigger boat outright then a thousand to fifteen hundred a month for fuel maintenance, slip & insurance is a better way to go. Might miss an opportunity in a down economy to buy a good boat cheap.

Default think again

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Look 1st at slip availability and the costs for the larger boat. Winter time if you leave it in the water(not recommended) but must have a heat source and then have regular checks done. Harbor selection and ice consideration would also drive removal during the winter. Bottom/Drive maintenance is more if left in the water. Lots of growth on the bottom when left inactive. I am going to hazard a guess and say that the boat is over 10 foot wide.....need a pilot car. Over 12 foot wide and you need 2 pilot cars. Next do you have the equipment to move it or will you hire out if not keeping it at port.

As far as having the boat worked on in state is no big deal. Finding a place where you are comfortable leaving it year round may be a different story.

Fuel consumption would be another.....twins, even diesels is going to be a bunch when pushing down the water. The 382 gallon fuel tank would be a give away. I am going to guess at 25 to 30 gallons an hour at cruise. With a cruise speed of less then 20 knots(I believe). Quite a bit more then your 26er.

Do not get a gas engined boat in that size.....most run at 30 to 40 gph at less then 18 knots, most never get fully on step.

Here is a link to the Silverton Forums...just like here good reading to be had.....http://www.yachtforums.com/
    I went from a 28 footer to a new 32' footer.The Yanmar guy dropped off one of those engines because I thought was going to go twin Yannys in front of Hamilton 241 jets. They wanted 36k a piece for the 420 yannys and 38 for the D-6 Volvo. I thought long and hard. I opted for the 8.1 vortec gas engines plug and play for 12 k a piece. Its a no brainer. My partner w/ the my sister craft went w/ the D-6 volvos. I perform hands down better. I travel at 29 knots at 3100 rpm. I have 800 more rpm to play w/! I don't know the top speed but the GPS was still climbing at 45 kts its was just to scary to hold her there lol. Anyway the main thing I hate about the new diesels is the electronic gadgetry, you are no longer protected by the dependability diesel offers because theres so many sensors and diodes for emissions plus theres an ECM the throttles are electronic and thats scary to me. Way to many things to go wrong. Oh btw I burn 25 gallons an hour and he's at 23 gal an hour w/ the diesels. diesel is way more expensive. Plus he spent 72k on his engines and I spent 24k. I guarantee there is no longevity difference. My other buddy w/ a big 42k Cat diesel missed most of the sound sockeye season waiting for parts. No to me theres no comparison gas all the way.

Definitely not trying to talk you into buying the (much) bigger boat, but bear in mind that the longer you wait, and the older a dude you become, the less willing or able you may be to put in all the time and effort that a big boat requires.

All boats are a lot of work. But the amount of work seems to increase geometrically with the length of the boat.

I bought my current 30' boat from an older guy who had maintained it in top condition. But he got to the point where he decided he was no longer able to maintain it the way he wanted--just didn't have the energy any more. So he sold it.

I'm still willing to do the work on our boat, and still enjoy doing much of it. The wife and I just finished three solid days of work on it, getting it ready to go back in the water. But I see the day coming--hopefully still a few years off--where it will all get to be more than I'm willing to do. Then I'll sell it.

Or maybe I'll just start hiring teenagers to do it for me.

FullBush- How much was the total cost of the engines and pumps on your boat. Were the Hamilton's $10k+ each?

Quote Originally Posted by Powderpro View Post
    FullBush- How much was the total cost of the engines and pumps on your boat. Were the Hamilton's $10k+ each?
    15k per jet w/ the weed rakes...