Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danger on Anchorage Hillside!!!

Cool Danger on Anchorage Hillside!!!

Subzero Windchill? No.
    Avalanches? Perhaps.

Vandalism at the hillside parking areas. Right On.

Saturday I parked at the Glen Alps parking area at 8:00AM. Only two vehicles preceded me into the the Glen Alps parking lot area, which is the one at Flattop Mt and Powerline Pass.

When I returned three hours later there were only about twelve or fifteen vehicles, but two of the new arrivals had been vandalized with their windows smashed. So, be aware...

I don't really know how to protect our vehicles against this type of crappy deal.
    Be aware of suspicious looking people? Well, that probable includes more than a few of us.
    For sure, do not leave anything of value visible in the vehicle.

I a prior lifetime I drove an old van that looked like hell. For the last ten years I drove it, I never locked it, 'cause two (of four) of the door locks fell apart. During that time twice I could tell that someone had been in my truck, but at least my windows did not need replacement. OK, I'm not seriously suggesting that we should not lock our vehicles while hiking from the Anchorage hillside trail-heads and parking areas....

What other suggestions might any of you have???
    Keep in mind that liberal lawyers and our current legal system discourages vigiliante justice.

Be safe, think about security....

dennis

on multiple occasions I have employed the unlocked doors with as few valuables inside as possible technique. it is about the best i can hope for, have never had any damage though I suspect there were visitors once or twice. it beats the broken window. when I used to go climbing in the deltas there seemed to be a rash of "trailhead" vandalism on the side of the rich not far from black rapids.

prospect heights is fairly notorious for bad apples. CSP does the best job they can. I'm sure they would appreciate any info you have. we should all keep a better eye out.

Talking

Leave a couple 5 gallon gas cans full of water in your open bed pickup.

no, no, no. you have to mix in a few cups of sugar. do it right.

ha a friend of mine did that once at his cabin, hed been havin alot of trouble with the kids ( so he thinks) in the area stealing his generator fuel. he had 2 5 galloners, and he filled them both with 1.5 gallons of gas and the rest with water, and added a little fuel injector to give it some color and smell.....yea he was bored, well we went out there the next weekend and yes they were gone..... dont know what happened if anything did but you can only hope someone was sorry.

Release Lake Trout

no,no a 5 gallons of gas back of pick up with this as an adtive.......... You will have to replace anything that has to do with the fuel system. $$$$$$$

seriously? if you not jokin ill remember that.. ive had boat fuel, "gotta have it to get back to anchorage" gas, and 2 cycle gas stolen from the bed of my truck.

Release Lake Trout

it may just be the looks of the vehicles that I drive but I have never had anything stolen from my truck(s).

I do know that around the workplace years ago there was some fuel that seemed to keep disappearing, this was in the 80s. so the farm foreman left a 5 gal. out front with a few cups of sugar mixed in on friday evening.

well, the prime suspect called mon. AM and had problems getting to work. he was asked if he wanted to quit or wanted to be fired.

A quick chain and a padlock will help keep your fuel jugs where they belong, unless you are dealing with thieves with tools. still it will help.

Default Really guys? Sugar? Gimme a break!

The vandalism is a serious problem that needs to be dealt with, but I have to comment on the gasoline aspect that's come up in this thread. I can't believe how many tall tales are still rolling around concerning sugar in the gas tank. It is an urban legend that has been proven false countless times over several decades.

Sugar will not dissolve in gasoline. It simply sits in granular form in the bottom of the can or tank. Shake it all you want, it won't dissolve. Sugar will not harm a gasoline powered internal combustion engine. The best you could hope for is that the loose sugar might plug up the fuel filter. It will not get to the engine and even if it did, it wouldn't hurt anything.

On the other hand, putting 5 gallons of water into your gas tank is a sure way to make the motor stop. And it will take some effort to get that cleared out of the system and make the vehicle run again. (Sugar will dissolve in the water, which might make a bit more of a mess to clean out of the system).

As to the OP's problem with vandalism, I would suggest a Taser wired to the vehicle body. Just make sure you tie in the disable feature with your remote door locks.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I would suggest a Taser wired to the vehicle body. Just make sure you tie in the disable feature with your remote door locks.

I like your thinking with the taser. maybe attached to a deep cycle battery to up the kick?

i guess i'm guilty of being unenlightened. but please don't be such a donkey about it. the sugar/water syrup sure disabled the guy's rig, that's all i know.

In the future I'll make sure to check all my anecdotal experience before posting. i've learned something, but if you asked me to put sugar in my gas tank to prove it's innocence i would have to decline.

Maybe a trainhorn wired into an alarm system, that would scare the crap out of him and get LOTS of attention you would definitely hear that too while up on the trail and have time to get down the hill catch the perp and hold him at gunpoint lol Taser sounds like a great idea too. Thats too bad about the vandalism, hope some of these scums get what they deserve someday....

This has been a problem for over 20 years. Maybe longer.

It happens in your drive way as well as the trail heads. It happens in business parking lots, too.

The only way to keep your gear safe is to pack it with you or leave it at home.

Any time a thief can see something that may have value sitting in your car they will take it. They work in a two man team with one guy staying in the car while the other guy works the parked cars over.

I do believe they have only caught one team in action all these years. They were at the parking lot at Far North when a cop pulled in and spotted them.

One day we came back from Bird Ridge to find a kid going through a car next to ours. The wrecked car idling nearby made me start looking around and that is when I noticed the kid trying to hide in the back seat right there in front of me. They managed to escape since my hiking friends refused to engage the kid, and the plates were so mud caked that we could only tell the Trooper it was a mud covered wrecked tan subaru wagoon about 1983 model year. Two teen boys with brown hair. They were never caught to my knowledge.

One day at work I see a strange guy come out of an office and leave the building through a side door. I get a partial plate of the little toyota truck. He walked in through the side door that the smokers left open and took someone's wallet. Never caught them even with the partial plate and easy to find truck - red first gen 2WD toy pickup with tan drivers door and black canopy with no rear glass. The coworker spent the rest of the day on the phone canceling credit cards and what not. Strange thing is that this is the second time it had happened to him. The first time it was the "delivery girl" that was operating in the early 1990's. She would come into an office with a stack of envelopes and just walk past the receptionist. She would wander around for a while and go through purses and coat pockets. She would spend up to 30 minutes in a large office. She was eventually caught by some folks that paid attention to visitors. If stopped by someone she would always say "oops, wrong office/address," and then leave quickly.

At work a lady left her car parked right outside the window of her office and looked up to see a guy walking away from it. She had us guys go out with her and found she had left her car unlocked. Missing emergency gear bag, CDs, and dirty gym clothes. Dark car might have been a grand-am. The guy was tall and really overweight in dirty carharts. Never caught.

One morning I woke up to find some kids going through a neighbors fixer upper. I called it in but could not get a plate due to the fence being in the way. Turned out to be the morning that the kid was killed at the Taco Bell drive through on 6th ave so there were no cops to help out due to the manhunt they had going on. Never caught the kids, but they missed over $2,000 sitting in the tow truck drivers clip pad in his truck next to the fixer upper. Took his tow tools from the floor of the truck.

Several times I have watched people walk through parking lots doing door checks. Any unlocked vehicle they will climb in and see what is laying around for them to pocket. I have stopped two of them over the years, but they were never arrested since they did not yet steal anything. One time the guy failed to check if someone was in the truck he was trying to open the door to. He was very surpised to find me grabbing his shirt collar once he opened the door. He was not arrested either, but he wanted me to be arrested for assault.

Two co-workers loaded up their truck for a weekend camping trip. They locked the canopy and went to bed. In the morning they found the truck empty. Every piece of gear was gone and the canopy was still locked but there was obvious damage where they had forced it open and then closed it again. Bootlegger cove down town.

Everytime I park my truck at Mud Lake to go duck hunting I am expecting it to be trashed when I get back, but as of yet nothing has happened to anyones truck while out there hunting. Since it is part of "Jim Creek" I find this most confusing.

Default Glen Alps break in

The red Ford Explorer with the two busted out front windows was my buddies vehicle. Four of us went out camping Fri.-Sat. night around the weekend you describe. We came Sunday morning to find the vehicle broken into. We left nothing in that car to steal. They actually climbed into the rear and took out the jack. Tried using the jack on a third vehicle but it had a sleeper inside. Our good samaritan woke up and confronted the guy. Chased him in his skivies. His get away driver took off without him. The cops were called and caught the guy. What's cool is that we actually met our good samaritan Friday night while getting ready to leave. He just moved up from out state and was wanting to know about the local area hiking. My buddy had a chance to call him and thank him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishon4mks View Post
    His get away driver took off without him. The cops were called and caught the guy.
    ^^That's great! I hope a criminal prosecution is successful.

Good way to teach the little punks a lesson.

Take an empty beer bottle- pee in the bottle making sure to fill it up, then recap it. Do this 2or three times.

Place the piss bottles in a 6 pack container with some empty bottles and leave it on the hood of your car, picnic table near at the campsite, boat, or in the back of your truck.

The little punks will get a lesson they will not soon forget.

For added entertainment take a few cigarettes and tap the tobacco out of them. Refill with paper shavings or cotton and the tip with tobacco so that it appears normal. First couple puffs are normal, the next puff will be nothing but burned paper or cotton. Leave these with the piss bottles.

Yes, I am evil.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Default @ Joat

Joat,

If you really believe that putting sugar in your fuel system will not damage it, please, by all means, pour some sugar in your next tank of gas an prove it. I happen to know from experience, this will put a fuel injected vehicle in a state of despair. I have personally witnessed sugar get into every stage of a fuel system from a 3 musketeer bar being shoved in a gas tank fill hole. From the chocolate to the peanuts all dissolved in fuel being put into the tank each fill, everything from filters to injectors was ruined.

Sugar does kill motors, the same way any foreign debris in gas or fuel will if built up.

Take it easy and have a truly blessed day.

Thumbs down Sugar in gas

If you guys watch Mythbusters they proved just putting sugar in your tank will not kill the engine. At leeast not in a few hours of running it.
    A candy bar with chocolate and peanuts and what not else is not the same as a cup of raw sugar. Neither is a gas jug filled with water and sugar. I would guess the water is the real culprit in that one.
    I would like to see these punks get caught or at the very least pranked real well.
    When I was a kid my dad had an underground gas tank on the farm. We had some neighbor kids who were pot heads and thieves. Dad ran the tank dry left it unlocked and filled it with water. I still remember hearing the neighbors try to start their vehicles. They had filled them all up with pure water.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Well if this starts happening at certain trailheads regularly I wish the troopers would set up a sting to catch the kids. Then publicize the heck out of it to set an example. Park a car there for the weekend and put a nice stereo and wallet in full view, maybe a laptop and watch the car....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Well if this starts happening at certain trailheads regularly I wish the troopers would set up a sting to catch the kids.
    This has been a very, very longstanding problem at that particular trailhead, and I believe that is Anchorage Police jurisdiction (I could be wrong about that). A "sting" would be wonderful, sort of like the special cars that are left out for car thieves. They'll actually lock the thief in the car until police arrive to arrest him.

What grinds me is that most of the trailheads have fees for parking there.

Is it too much to ask that as part of our fees one camera gets installed at the entrance that can catch license plates of those entering/leaving and view the lot?

I know people that have talked about putting one of those motion activated camouflage game cameras mounted somewhere near the parking lot to catch thieves. Others have used nanny cams in their cars.

The police should do a sting. Thieves operate in these areas with impunity and it's ridiculous.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast