Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Standing His Ground

Default Standing His Ground

Beartooth: My hunting partner had a photo session with this fellow coming out of the woods this morning. He didn't even gobble. Be careful where you yelp over in MS these fine mornings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another reason for me to stay in Alaska. I hate snakes.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default Nice Photos

Awwww Man, that first is one Awesome Photo.

Is that Beartooth the Weatherby guy? Tell us more about that story, and where is MS?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Does he know they can strike almost twice their length? Most people think it's just half their length and believing that almost got me bit when I was a kid. They can literally jump at you when you tick them off enough and he looks too close from the pictures.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Awwww Man, that first is one Awesome Photo.

Is that Beartooth the Weatherby guy? Tell us more about that story, and where is MS?

Kodiak: I was just joking with Beartooth as he seems to like a good meal of rattlesnake. Beartooth lives in Mississippi and is probably out chasing turkeys also. The photos were taken out on the Eglin AFB Ranges this morning in North Florida while we were turkey hunting.

Beautiful time to be in the woods down here, but it pays to watch where you put your hands and feet.

That is my second reason for not living in New Mexico. A much more venomous reason is my Mother-In-Law. Now that is scary!

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Does he know they can strike almost twice their length? Most people think it's just half their length and believing that almost got me bit when I was a kid. They can literally jump at you when you tick them off enough and he looks too close from the pictures.
    AD: I was not there when he took the photos, but he has a zoom on that little digital camera he carries. He was probably using that. Like you, I don't push the distance either. Could turn out to be "Old Stretch" and he does look ticked off.

Default Actually

they can strike much further than that. I was stationed in Arizona for many years and I am one of the crazy people who catch rattlesnakes. I have had some very upset rattlesnakes coiled up and they would strike so hard that they would actually launch themselves. About 90 percent of venomous bites involve alcohol. You have about a 30 percent chance of getting a dry bite. It takes a tremendous amount of the snakes energy to produce the venom, so they use it sparingly. BUT, if after rattling, coiling, warning strikes and you're still there messing with it, chances are pretty good you're going to get popped with a hot bite. Not good. I had 2 close encounters, one I should have gotten bit and I didn't, that one was a mojave. They have both kinds of venom, hemotoxic and neurotoxic. Very, very bad snake to get bit by. I figured I'd pushed the envelope enough and quit handling/picking them up with my hands after that. Oh yhea, they taste like chicken...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    they can strike much further than that. I was stationed in Arizona for many years and I am one of the crazy people who catch rattlesnakes. I have had some very upset rattlesnakes coiled up and they would strike so hard that they would actually launch themselves. About 90 percent of venomous bites involve alcohol. You have about a 30 percent chance of getting a dry bite. It takes a tremendous amount of the snakes energy to produce the venom, so they use it sparingly. BUT, if after rattling, coiling, warning strikes and you're still there messing with it, chances are pretty good you're going to get popped with a hot bite. Not good. I had 2 close encounters, one I should have gotten bit and I didn't, that one was a mojave. They have both kinds of venom, hemotoxic and neurotoxic. Very, very bad snake to get bit by. I figured I'd pushed the envelope enough and quit handling/picking them up with my hands after that. Oh yhea, they taste like chicken...
    Then why not just eat a chicken....seems like a whole lot less fuss to me!

I recon if I was starvin I might try to drop a 40 lb rock on a rattlers head so as to use him for table fair......most likely I'd just steal me a chicken!

Default Yummy...

Used to run into the Western Diamondback while Quail hunting back in Arizona...occasionally I would shoot one as they are very tasty fried up...was sitting by the fire in camp one fall and had one slither up and poke his head over the fire ring rocks...he quickly turned and went the opposite direction...must have been the heat signature he was attracted to. Was eating bacon wrapped grilled Quail and had a beer so he caught me off guard...was pretty cool...

AZinAK

Default Testosterone Poisining

The local Emergency Room nurses in Phoenix here call it "Testosterone Poisining", as when the victim comes into the emergency room with a snake bite they are usually a male between the ages of 17-24years old, and the strike is usually on the hand...with some form of Alcholhol being held in the other hand when they were struck.

That being said, they do get into things and under things and are JUST NOW starting to get active because of the warmer temps.

We had several rattler dens on the ranch back home. I have caught and or killed plenty of them when I lived with my folks. Heck back there they even have a rattlesnake festival every spring, guys go catch snakes and sell them to the people that run the festival. They sometimes bring a pretty good buck and my dad used to be very active in hunting them to sell for the festival. When I was about 7 or so he would start hunting them in the early spring when they are close to the dens and he could sack them up afew at a time, do you know who the coolest 7yr old in the neighborhood is? you guessed it, the one with a box of 20 or so rattlesnakes in his garage.

Fear not the box always had a padlock on the lid, but when a bunch of kids whack the box with a stick they make a heck of a buzzing sound.

And yeah people drove from hundreds of miles away to see if they really taste like chicken, well guess what. They remind me of eating a bunch of chicken backs, much easier to just eat chicken as they have far fewer bones.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    they can strike much further than that. I was stationed in Arizona for many years and I am one of the crazy people who catch rattlesnakes. I have had some very upset rattlesnakes coiled up and they would strike so hard that they would actually launch themselves.
    Yup, grew up in Arizona on a ranch. Been in Alaska ten years and still turn things over with my boot and look for snakes, centipedes, and scorpions before I reach down to grab it. People laugh at me about this but I know Alaskans that live in Arizona who get all spooky looking for bear when walking in the brush next to the rivers down there.

I had a timber rattler I was trying to make lunch out of jump between my legs (I thought he had latched onto the middle leg) and land just behind my heals between my feet. The bottom half of me took off running so fast the top half almost fell on the snake. He was a 5 footer, I was at least 7 feet away chucking rocks and he grazed the crotch of my pants, they can jump farther than most people can from standing still.

EKC fresh chicken is more tasty but hard to come by out in the Arizona backcountry and the way I see things concerning poisonous snakes is if I see them the population needs some thinning and I don't like to see food go to waste. If you ever do eat one make sure he has not bit himself during the battle . . . it can make you sick if you have any mouth sores, chapped lips, stomach ulcers and things where the poison could get in your blood.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

still turn things over with my boot and look for snakes, centipedes, and scorpions
    This might be a dumb question...but I've never heard about centipedes. I know what they are, but what can they do to ya?
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

As some of you know I'm down here in Arizona.

I've killed three Diamond Backs this week alone. They have really started coming out of there holes. The temps Sunday were up to 96 degrees.

I have a cousin in Anchorage that came down and spent four days. We went on a few hikes in the Superstition mountains. I'm trying to drop a few pounds and develop better legs and lungs for an August Dall Sheep hunt with my brother.

One of the rattlers was in my back yard another in my neighbors garage. The big nasty one was sunning on a large flat rock when we were hiking. Some liberals get all twisted when I kill a snake. Snakes put me and everyone one else in danger when they come in and around the house.

The picture is a friendly little King snake. This guy was warming his belly in the street about a block from my house. I was on a walk with my wife and caught it before it was hit be a car. King snakes will eat rattle snakes and other critters. I put this guy in a sunny spot in a nearby ditch so he could continue eating other bad snakes.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUX View Post
    This might be a dumb question...but I've never heard about centipedes. I know what they are, but what can they do to ya?
    They are poisonous, I don't know how much so but they freak me out just the same. I was digging a fence post hole and had a huge 5 centipede run up my leg inside my pants. I didn't feel him till he was almost to my knee because I was wearing high top cowboy boots and he was to the important parts before I could shuck my britches. So every since then they freak me out bad and even though that was 35 years age I can still feel him when I think about centipedes.

They are here in Alaska too, I found a little tinny one in a pile of wet rotten lumber I was burning here at the house. I was surprised because I thought I left them behind in Arizona with the snakes and scorpions.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yup, grew up in Arizona on a ranch. Been in Alaska ten years and still turn things over with my boot and look for snakes, centipedes, and scorpions before I reach down to grab it. People laugh at me about this but I know Alaskans that live in Arizona who get all spooky looking for bear when walking in the brush next to the rivers down there.
    That is so true. Having grown up in AK, I was clueless when I first got down here. I was hiking out at Lake Pleasent on some rocks, and folks came RUNNING over to me yelling at me that I was CRAZY to be climbing up this pile of river stones. I didn't know better. Working construction (for golf/gun money) I've been stung by more Scorpians than I can count. Got a Black Widow bite on my lower leg, and had to have an antibiotic shot as the RED LINE of infection was running up my leg from the bite spot.

I'll take the chances of a BEAR or angry moose over these sneaky little b_____ anytime.

i hated snakes even since i was a kid and my older brother that it was funny to throw into the car as we where driveing by my mom stoped the car garb the snake threw it out the window ..back the car up and told my brother that when she got home not to be there or he was a dead.. ..

we killed them all the time around the cabin in Texas ..i kept a suppressored pistol with a red dot scope set up for killing them in the yard .. so not to make the people jumpy in the house ..my grandkids played alot in the front yard of the cabin ..so i would go and walk the grounds a couple of times to make sure the area was clean before letting the little ones out to play ..

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    As some of you know I'm down here in Arizona.

I've killed three Diamond Backs this week alone. They have really started coming out of there holes. The temps Sunday were up to 96 degrees.
    Marshall, are you on the EAST side? You're freaking me out!

I've been down here almost 10years, and I've seen 2 snakes. (both up by Lake Pleasant). And I get out and hike and do wildlife photography.

You make me wonder how many I've probably stepped over and not seen.
    I'm great at finding Deer, Elk, Antalope, Coyote, WildHorses, Wild Burros, Scorpians, etc etc...but I've seen only two snakes in 10years. I think it's going to be a bad summer for them though.

The worst story I remember was the guy (couple years ago) that was cleaning out his BBQ ashes for the summer BBQ season...and a nest of Babies had hatched down in the ashes inside the BBQ...and he got bit 10 or 15 times by a bunch of BABY rattlers through his gardening gloves.
    I believe he was dead before he got to the hospital.

I play a little paintball here, and I keep wondering when I'm going to jump behind a bush and find two fangs striking out at me!!

You know what scares the crap out of me as much as snakes is the darn Africanized Bees we have here.
    About 5 people a summer end up getting attacked by swarms in the valley here.

Jumpin snakes? I have been in AZ since 76, caught and killed plenty of rattlesnakes and have never encountered one that struck more then a couple of feet. I have come across Diamond Backs, Mojaves, Blacks, Sidewinders and Blacktails.
    I'll have to keep that in mind. I have had quite a few different types of non-venemous snakes as a kid and adult but the most agressive ones I encountered were a Moccasin in Lousiana and a Diamond Back in Colorado Springs. Both survived the encounter,because the moccasin was too fast and the DB was in Garden of The Gods Park and I had an audiance of yuppies and no hunting license.
    I always wack them when our paths cross. Always.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast