Thread: Chenega Cell phone use?

Default Chenega Cell phone use?

Anyone know if Chenega has cell phone towers, or anywhere in the area? WIll be fishing in the area this summer and would like to know if the cell phone would work if I needed it to.

There is a cell tower on Naked Island, but as far as I know only ACS customers get service. With Knight Island in the way, I think reception would be spotty at best. Perhaps with an external attena you'd be able to get reception.

If you really need reception, rent a SAT phone.

Paul is correct. No coverage there, yet. I have an external antenna and ACS as a provider, and cannot pull signal around the new village. GCI or Digitel (can't remember which) are talking about putting towers up there in the near future. You will get signal at the north side of Latouche if you have ACS, if that helps.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default 3 watt cell booster

I sort of got luck on e-bay and found a 3 watt cell booster for $60, think the cell phone is 1/2 watt not 100% sure, added maybe 30+ miles to range.
    used them at point Kustatan across from Kenai where you couldn't get a single bar to adding booster for 3 bars.
    modern tech stuff anyway

Last year I couldn't pick up the signal from Naked Island even when I was within eyesight of the tower. Tried both ACS and AT&T. Was able to pick it up a year or two before, so don't know what happened. I've heard you can pick up a signal outside Main Bay.

I can usually start getting service just north of Chenega (the Island) and gets better as you continue North.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Last year I couldn't pick up the signal from Naked Island even when I was within eyesight of the tower. Tried both ACS and AT&T. Was able to pick it up a year or two before, so don't know what happened. I've heard you can pick up a signal outside Main Bay.
    Interesting. I had no problems pulling signal in that area. I was able to get a signal even in Dangerous passage and anchored all the way back in Eshamy. The external antenna makes a world of difference.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I've been able to get reception from the lagoon in disk island, it was week but considering Elanor, Ingot and Disk island were in the way of the signal, I was impressed. I also got reception tucked in behind Applegate after having an interesting trip across from Knight to Crafton, up the coast to Port Nellie Juan and finally getting out of the snot when getting into Culross.