Thread: Review of Rugers new 375 rifle

Default Review of Rugers new 375 rifle

Tennessee

Sounds interesting, but I'll wait til I hear some first hand (or 2nd) with real field expieriance.

I just got to shoot one and came away very impressed. Recoil didn't seem as bad and the rifle was accurate.

I like the ion coating that makes up the Diamondback finish. The Ruger reps told me it was impervious to rust and corrosion as it treats the metal, much like a new-age galavanized steel. Very cool.

Alaskan's are in the warehouse, but the African models will take another two months... this straight from the marketing director of Ruger.

That's a very interesting article, and the author shows the case dimensions compared to the .375 H&H's and the .375RUM.

I can deduct from the article that the .375 Ruger is much a .375H&H without a belt, coupled to a lack of ammo for it. It's supposed to be lighter than the average .375H&H rifle, which may be a good thing, but so would be a .375 Taylor, except that this wildcat has a belt.

Default 375 Ruger - how fast?

When Ruger and Hornady talk of 200 fps second faster than the H&H, they are comparing it to conventional 375... not Hornady's heavy magnum loads. Hornady heavy magnum loads pack the powder into the case so well, tht pouring it out and trying to get it back in is useless. So, the 375 Ruger is a short version of the 375 heavy magnum load.

I am bothered by the lack of ammunition. DId they find something wrong with the present ammo production? Is Hornady helping ramp up US gov't brass needs? Hard to say.

There is a BIG push on big bores these days. Just like the 458 WIn Mag... most never make it to Africa. Look at Cabelas offering of a really nice 470 NE double from France.... yes they make some good guns.... aways have... just never had an army use them long enough to prove it.

Default 375 Ruger

I think the 375 Ruger is a great idea for a cartridge but I just can't go with a Ruger center fire rifle. I sent a FN Mauser action to my gunsmith last october and he has a order in to Pacific tool and die for the first reamer the produce. Hopefully it will be ready for spring bear season.

DR B, who's your 'smith? I also have a Mauser action I'd like to see made into a .375 Ruger.

338-06
    Kevin weaver is my smith he builds a great rifle. The 375 Ruger will be the 4th he has built for me. They are all tack drivers.
    DR B

Weaver Rifles,
    16850 Sage Creek Rd.
    Peyton CO 80831
    (719)683-3024
    (719)337-0501

http://www.weaverrifles.com/

On that Cabela's 470 double, I was out with the TV guys when they did some target shooting with the gun for a video review and an upcoming bison hunt. Wow. But at $17 a round for ammo...

Saw video footage of it dropping a bison with one shot. The bullet fragmented and took out the spine, one lung and the heart.

AS for Hornady, I was told they had all three 375 Ruger loads in stock for delivery.

Question Great...

the thing is tho it was down about 4 or 5 yeara ago by steyr. it was called the 376 steyr. the steyr flopped so will the ruger, say good-bye to a possibly a great round.

roo,

The Ruger has two things going for it that the 376 didn't...It is a much better designed round, and we don't have to buy an overpriced European rifle. I think Ruger solved the problem. If Holland & Holland were designing a 375 today, it would be the Ruger 375, or something very close.

Default The New Ruger one piece at a time...

What do you think of this trigger?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default .375 ruger

Sounds like ruger didnt have all their s41t in one sock.

Hope they come out with a .416 version and do it right this time.

I saw the African model yesterday.
    Plus a 375 ruger dummy round. Looks very interesting..

xx
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Ammo

Looks kinda like a beltless 375 Taylor. Not a new concept but a workable one. Whem ammo becomes readily available I might get interested.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Apparently Boondock's in ER has a half dozen of the Alaskan's on order along with 15 boxes of ammo that has already been shipped. I would expect to prob see some of them at the Great Alaskan Sportsmans Show in Apr....if not sooner....depending on buyer interest.