Thread: Seating Depth priority?

Default Seating Depth priority?

I'm hoping you guys can help me settle this in my mind as I learn to reload and focus on more pertinent(right?) stuff first, like powders and load strength, etc.

Can I put off the bullet seating depth question for later and just load to max mag length until I get other stuff figured out ?,

Some stats, .270wsm has a long throat 2.99 is "to the lands" COAL for several of the longer bullets 130-150 grains that I am using, my max magazine length is only 2.93 and I am loading for the field so the "lands" is a bit unreachable anyway, now for shorter bullets and even some longer ones the book says COL 2.75 or 2.80 usually which I underrstand to be just a suggestion from their lab results, not something to work with much, so my question is

Can I just figure "Longer is Better" and go out to 2.90 or 2.93 to max out mag capacity, figuring this is as close to the Lands as I can get? Just stick with that until I figure out the best powder and chg weight, etc. for a given bullet?

ON shorter bullets like the 110gr Vmax, I can get to 2.85 or so, in that cae, the lands are so far away, are there other factors beside the "jump to the lands" that should dictate how I set the depth and stick with it til other stuff is figured out?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    I'm hoping you guys can help me settle this in my mind as I learn to reload and focus on more pertinent(right?) stuff first, like powders and load strength, etc.

Can I put off the bullet seating depth question for later and just load to max mag length until I get other stuff figured out ?,

Some stats, .270wsm has a long throat 2.99 is "to the lands" COAL for several of the longer bullets 130-150 grains that I am using, my max magazine length is only 2.93 and I am loading for the field so the "lands" is a bit unreachable anyway, now for shorter bullets and even some longer ones the book says COL 2.75 or 2.80 usually which I underrstand to be just a suggestion from their lab results, not something to work with much, so my question is

Can I just figure "Longer is Better" and go out to 2.90 or 2.93 to max out mag capacity, figuring this is as close to the Lands as I can get? Just stick with that until I figure out the best powder and chg weight, etc. for a given bullet?

ON shorter bullets like the 110gr Vmax, I can get to 2.85 or so, in that cae, the lands are so far away, are there other factors beside the "jump to the lands" that should dictate how I set the depth and stick with it til other stuff is figured out?
    My priority for bullet seating, or OAL is to make sure that the bullets DO NOT touch the lands, with some safe clearance.

If your magazine length limits the OAL length to one that doesn't allow the bullet to reach the lands anyway, you gotta go with that, unless you wanna load single shot.

I think that DOES indicate that you can,,,,,,,,,"just figure "Longer is Better" and go out to 2.90 or 2.93 to max out mag capacity, figuring this is as close to the Lands as I can get".

That's OK, IMO. Seating close to the lands may, or may not, help accuracy. It's just that many people think so, because someone originally said so, and others have attributed their success to that, when it could have been something else entirely.

I like to seat bullets to where the base of the bullet is at the base of the Neck. (That just suits my ideas of how a cartridge should be designed.) (I make no claims of any real advantage.) I can't always, of course, but when I can, I'm happy.

"I don't give a < hoot > HOW the do it Outside". (Even outside my house.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty pretty well hit it. The base of the bullet at the bottom of the neck on short bullets is not a bad idea. One thing I do like is to make sure the bullet is seated at least one bullet dia depth into the case. If you seat the short bullets really long you may not have enough in the case to align the bullet properly and keep it there during handling/carrying of the loaded rounds.

kodiak,

What make/model gun are you shooting?

Default Sako

It's a Sako 85, in .270WSM, and I'm using the dowel rod method for measuring "to the lands" so it is a COAL on tip of bullet length, pretty consistent on all the longer bullets I have measured, tried the Hornady tool method also but like the dowel rod method for consistency.
    So, I think that is right terminology, "has a Long Throat" or distance to Lands(2.99), even .05 back is always beyond the max mag length of 2.93
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Bummer.

I have a 270wsm built on a Rem 700 action and all Barnes bullets make it nicely to Lands, and still fit easily into the magbox. The 140TSX has the shortest COAL.

My boys really love the 270wsm for some reason. One of my boys took a Black Bear with it last year, with a 130tsx. It was a dink, but he wanted it, so I let him shoot it! I told him nothing but 7ft'rs from now on!

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post

If your first piority is accuracy then the answer is"it's where the rifle wants you to seat for the best accuracy", Next is the compromice length. It all depends on where your prioritys are. A lot of my barrels want the bullets seated hard into the lands and that is where the bullets go. some want it .010 off the lands. But then I'am all ways looking for the best accuracy from that rifle, or any rifle for that matter.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Seems fine off a ways

Yeah, I was surprised after reading all about the "just off the lands" factor to find out my mag doesn't really permit it, I did a little Single Shot experimenting and didn't really see the .02 off or .05 off the Lands increasing my accuracy at all. Though I admit I am figuring out sooo much other stuff right now I can't really be sure of that yet.

Then, as it is (usually at 2.90 or 2.85 Coal) this rifle is really shooting nice for accuracy, so as Big Al says I think I am finding what "my rifle wants"

Thanks guys this has been real educational and good to know I can dial that in later.

Had a good day at the range today, Loving this reloading

270, that's a fine looking boy there, good picture, Bear looks just right

I'm working on Blk Bear loads as we speak, Hornady 140gr SST, Speer 130gr BTSP, and may even take some Barnes 110gr TTSX after 'em.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Smitty pretty well hit it. The base of the bullet at the bottom of the neck on short bullets is not a bad idea. One thing I do like is to make sure the bullet is seated at least one bullet dia depth into the case. If you seat the short bullets really long you may not have enough in the case to align the bullet properly and keep it there during handling/carrying of the loaded rounds.
    Oh Me:

One time my neighbor and I went to a gun show, where he bought a POS, 6.5 Carcano. He also got some 6.5 bullets and some loading dies.

I helped him and we loaded some rounds. We picked a moderate to light load and I seated a bullet out to the lands, then backed it off some, and loaded the others to the same setting on the seating die.

When he got around to firing them, the primers were backed out. (I then discovered the bullets were barely in the neck.) I figgered there wasn't enough neck tension, so I seated them all deeper, and the primers looked normal.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.