Thread: Hot melt glue for eggs

Default Hot melt glue for eggs

For those that use it, where do you get your colored glue sticks?

sportsmans warehouse has some a few years back... not sure if they still stock it... any good fly shop should have some.... when you do get it, try mixing two colors together, like pink and pearl...

I have picked it up at 3 rivers here in Wasilla.

Has anyone had decent results (fishing with them) from glue gun eggs? I had an order for a couple thousand several years ago, bought the sticks to make them, then had their shop go out of business and cancel the order. Well I have lots of this stuff to make the eggs but I haven't personally used glue eggs. With thousands of painted beads I haven't spent the time to make any to try either. Are they as effective as beads when fishing egg "patterns"?

They can be hit or miss at local shops. I just bought 3 or 4 bags of the 5/16" sticks in various colors from Mountain View. The FF selection in that places always amazes me!

I sometimes spin them with my Nor-Vise in front of a Dolly LLama instead of the traditional conehead, calling them an Egg Drop LLama or Egg Flower Soup!

You beat me to it wyatt. i was just at Mt. View saturday and they have a bunch of glue sticks. def need to see one of your egg drop llamas there wyatt! i used them a few times back in michigan and caught a couple steelies and browns.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Has anyone had decent results (fishing with them) from glue gun eggs? I had an order for a couple thousand several years ago, bought the sticks to make them, then had their shop go out of business and cancel the order. Well I have lots of this stuff to make the eggs but I haven't personally used glue eggs. With thousands of painted beads I haven't spent the time to make any to try either. Are they as effective as beads when fishing egg "patterns"?
    I have used glue eggs, sort of modified pattern someone sent me from the internet, in which a very small ~4-5 mm glass bead is tied on the shank of a hook, and the glue formed around the glass bead so it doesn't affect the hook gap, the whole thing is maybe 10 mm diameter; I use ~#8 hooks. These work at least as well as troutbeads, often much better, and I have compared them side by side.

It took some practice figuring out how to make the glue round like an egg.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    I have used glue eggs, sort of modified pattern someone sent me from the internet, in which a very small ~4-5 mm glass bead is tied on the shank of a hook, and the glue formed around the glass bead so it doesn't affect the hook gap, the whole thing is maybe 10 mm diameter; I use ~#8 hooks. These work at least as well as troutbeads, often much better, and I have compared them side by side.

It took some practice figuring out how to make the glue round like an egg.
    What style of hook are you using, I have tried to do this with the egg-style hooks and it didnt work out so well.
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by jarredbehrendt View Post
    What style of hook are you using, I have tried to do this with the egg-style hooks and it didnt work out so well.
    It's not the fly-tying hook used for typical globugs. I use a red, gamakatsu hook with an upturned eye and a wider gap than the globug hooks with the downturned eye. I've used two stock numbers and don't remember them off hand - I vary the size up and down as needed. Most fishing stores have it. If this doesn't make sense just ask and I can post the stock# later.

Of course - after the initial glass bead is tied on, the glue-bug is held in a forceps when applying the hot glue, as this involves turning the fly to keep the bug round, and dipping it in icewater to solidify it.

I saw some glue at mossy's on dimond and arctic last week. i've also been making them on tooth picks in 6/8mm sizes and using them instead of regular trout beads lately. if you have a rotary vice, it makes spinning out glue beads alot easier.

Skier- how do you get them off the tooth picks?

its a little crude, but its the best way i've found so far. i just build one up on the end of the toothpick and keep rolling it to desired shape then dip it in cool water for around ten seconds. after that i grab the tooth pick, bite down just behind the bead, and pull. if it works out right u end up with i nice glue bead with a hole big enough to peg. it also helps to stretch out the hole a little bit after the bead sets up a bit more. i just work it up onto the main section of the toothpick and let it sit for awhile. anything over 8 mm, you may have to do some layers. i dont know i haven't got that far yet.

also, been putting these glue beads on my tubes for egg drop leaches and they are looking pretty sweet.

Thumbs up

Awesome! thanks def gonna try it out.