Thread: scope recommendation for Rem 760 Carbine

Default scope recommendation for Rem 760 Carbine

30.06 pump Remmington 760 Carbine. Looking to put a scope on it. 18 inch barrell. Don't need anything fancy, the gun is for my 68 year old mom who will use it to hunt Bison this year. Thanks for the advice.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    30.06 pump Remmington 760 Carbine. Looking to put a scope on it. 18 inch barrell. Don't need anything fancy, the gun is for my 68 year old mom who will use it to hunt Bison this year. Thanks for the advice.
    Lots of options. A good used 4X Leupold would be an excellent match. For about the same money you could buy a Weaver Classic V7 or V9--both are very good values. You could look at a Sightron SII 3-9X42 for under $200 new which is more money than the others, but its also a bit more scope. The Bushnell Elite 3200 in a 2-7 or 3-9 are also very good values in that price range. Some guys like the Nikon Prostaff line of scopes which is in the same price range--but I'd take anything I've mentioned over them. You should be able to get a "good" scope for under $200 with a little internet surfing.

Ebay yourself up a used Leupold M8 fixed 4 power. Excellent scopes, about right in the magnification dept, tough as nails, and also importantly they can usually be had at bargain basement prices. I got one on my 06 and I wouldn't put anything else up there.

Hard to argue with a Leupold 4x.... makes way too much sense on a rifle like that (and most other rifles as well).

Bison are big, with a big kill zone- no need to mount the Hubbel on your rifle. Unlikely you'll shoot long range with that rig either...or shoot prarie dogs...or, well you get the point.

Fixed 4x- simple, cheap, and effective.