Thread: Rod Repair

Default Rod Repair

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a fishing rod worked on. I need to have an eye re-wrapped. I have been to the one on Arctic before in Anchorage and although they have done a good job for me in the past, they have been grumpy and rude to me. So I am trying to find someplace that does good work and has good customer service.

Tony

What brand of rod is it?

grumpy and rude lol..show up with a beer, amazing how a can of barely pop changes things in a hurry.

It is an older model Cabela's Black Lightning.

Tony

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    grumpy and rude lol..show up with a beer, amazing how a can of barely pop changes things in a hurry.
    COFFEE for Eldon the rod repair guru, or Arizon Iced tea for the reel master.!!! that will get it taken care of!

I had them repair a couple of rods last year, great work, reasonably priced and quick turnaround.

I'll take crabby and competent over happy and clueless. That said I've never had an attitude problem with those guys, and when I need a part to fix a reel, they have it in stock.

The alternative is get a replacement eye from Mountainview Sporting goods, a roll of thread and some rod building cement. You can use a fly tieing bobbin for the thread and make a simple rod holder out of scrap wood.

Those guys out on Aritic Blvd. are the rudest people around. Last time I was in there I brought a reel that had a few broken pieces and the guy behind the counter started slamming parts down and cursing like it was my fault the reel was broken. I picked the reel up at a garage sale and it was already broken I told the man. Be ready for rude service if you go in there. But they do have the parts.

Well I guess their is no other rod and reel repair shops other than the one in Anchorage. I want to thank all those that replied. I will just take my rod to them and if they get rude with me again I will just give it right back to them.

You can try this guy. He is in Anchorage too.

http://www.k-kustomrods.com/

Ah, but there is another Reel Repair guy now out in the valley......ME. Drop your Reels off at 3 Rivers in Wasilla and I'll take care of them for ya... www.bobsreelrepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Bob View Post
    Ah, but there is another Reel Repair guy now out in the valley......ME. Drop your Reels off at 3 Rivers in Wasilla and I'll take care of them for ya... www.bobsreelrepair.com
    Hey, Bob. They gave me an infraction for even suggesting MY business. Be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by TA1095 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a fishing rod worked on. I need to have an eye re-wrapped.
    Nobody seems to have mentioned this, Tony, but it's pretty easy to just replace it yourself. That's what I do on all of mine. There are plenty of places you can buy replacement eyelets and a little thread and epoxy does a very sufficient job. Unless you want a "custom job" done why spend the money?

Default Do it yourself

I have never had a rod repaired but, have taken a few reels to Tag's reel repair in Ninilchick. He is an authorized Penn reel warranty/repair center. Good work quick turnaround and reasonably priced.
    I would also suggest you try the repair yourself. It really is not that hard to do a decent job. Like others have said a good bobbin of thread some rod cement a new eyelet and a little time is all it takes.
    If you can't find rod parts localy try one of the places:
    http://www.jannsnetcraft.com
    http://www.barlowstackle.com
    I have had good service from both of these companies.
    Last edited by kasilofchrisn; 04-23-2010 at 14:06. Reason: fixed link
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Cabela's has a pretty extensive rod building section, too, if you use them at all.