Thread: Best fishing in May

Default Best fishing in May

OK. The AF is moving me back to the lower 48 and I leave before the sacred 11 June opener for Reds. I need to get some fishing in before I go. Where is the best place for trout or early Kings in May?

Kasilof & Kenai River will be producing some kings by the end of May. Also the Anchor River, Deep Creek, Ninilchik River will open for kings as well. Check regs as they are all a little different as far as dates & gear restrictions.

Trout is a tough one. Kenai closes after May 1 and all flowing water is also closed for trout on the Peninsula. That leaves the lakes to pursue the trout in. Lots of choices there so... Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    Trout is a tough one. Kenai closes after May 1 and all flowing water is also closed for trout on the Peninsula. That leaves the lakes to pursue the trout in. Lots of choices there so... Good luck.
    There is much much much much more than the "Peninsula". Plenty of flowing water just north of the base.
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    There is much much much much more than the "Peninsula". Plenty of flowing water just north of the base.
    You're just angry cuz the flippin Kenai is going to be closed here soon.
    Woooosaah. Eat another scone.

Theres no need to lie to people. There is no water North of the Pen.

Lake fishing for trout in May right after ice-out has always been one of my favorite things to do. No crowds and hungry fish make for a good day.