Thread: Root cellar in Alaska

Default Root cellar in Alaska

Any here use a root cellar. My wife wants to build one beside the house here on Anchorage. It's not that I don't think the idea is a good one, as much as I don't think that the ground here in town is suitable to build a root cellar in. I was wandering if any one in town or in Alaska has built one.

A root cellar is basicaly a hole dug in the ground. Weather you can do that in anch. without a permit I dont know. If you can go for it. Once you get far enough below the frost line, insulate the upper part of it, you have the perfect refrigator. Line the inside with oak or something like that,( get some old dunage) makes a great place for the taters and what not.

That is our plan of sorts, we started digging last week. We are going to go down eight feet then it will be 12 feet long. We are going to line it with cinder blocks filled with concrete and re-bar then line the floor with weather proof wood and make a heavy insulated sealing out of blue board ply wood that is it in a nut shell any way

They can be made and function in alaska. My father has one we built. It works but we wound up having to put an old freezer in it because the rodents got in and ate everything.