Thread: Dogs and Injuries

Default Dogs and Injuries

Hey everyone, just curious to poll the audience and see how many folks have dealt with their dogs and injuries. Today, I was playing with my two labs down on the river and Banks split his front right leg when he hit a stick. He was running perpendicular to the stick he hit and it made a loud crack however he wasn't vocal. In fact, he kept running wide open like it didn't even bother him at all.

Once I looked over his leg I noticed he was bleeding pretty good and determined it was vet worthy. 10 staples and a lamp shade later Banks is still on high idle but I'm trying to keep him calm so he recovers without ripping out any staples.

lets hear your stories...

yeah, Ive had a couple close calls, ecpesially with the sticks running through the dogs,, Ive pulled two of them out of our dogs, The only time I took the one to the vet he was frreaking out shaking his head and mmoaning and this was a service dog. (so he doesnt spook easily), rushed him to the vet..... seemed he got a stick between the molars and into his gums, quick pull, rinse and home we went... He had to be in pain because he wouldnt let me near his mouth, and he even let me pull porcupine quills from his toungue before.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Sorry to hear about Banks injury. These dogs do run full tilt for us. I've seen lots of small abrasions, cuts and bleeding pads and run ins with porcupines. Fortunately nothing major. Nothing a few weeks off wouldn't take care of.

Two weeks ago had to take time off from work to take one of our Springers to the vet as we had discovered the night before that she had somehow split a nail all the way up going into the paw pad.... that'll run you $255 (anesthesia included) at the Dimond Hospital.

With my other Springer, we had an incident similar to yours less than a year ago - hugh gash going down her foreleg runnin' in the field.... that one cost us $450+ for 3 stitches & anesthesia....

I can't tell you the amount of $$ we have spent within the last 2 yrs fixin' injuries. Anymore I just open my checkbook and sigh as I'm telling myself "could've been worse....."

Here's to a speedy recovery for your friend.....

RMK

Default First Aid Kit for Dogs

I carry a separate first aid kid just for the dog. He is always getting in to some sort of trouble. He got a splinter all the way through a pad last summer.

Every trip to the vet seems expensive. I wonder if I can get him on one of the new insurance plans?

glad to know its not just me who is having issues with the pup...haha. How long was the recovery process for the splinter through the pad?

Several years ago my vet asked "gee, haven't you met your quota for the year?" Torn pads of various sizes/degrees (superglue & moleskin to stitches), broken toes, torn open flanks, stabbed above the eye going through deadfalls grouse hunting, scary & ugly falls from hitting holes/going through brush/root wads/hitting banks & such, busted open ear & tail tips, etc. Yup, stuff happens!

Karen

Yikes! We always check feet before we kennel them after a run, but the neon orange chest protectors are going back on in brush.

Sorry about Mr. Banks getting hurt. Sounds like he'll pull through just fine. I've got lots of such stories. I run my hands all over my dogs once back at the truck and before I kennel them. Did that to my oldest dog Buddy one day and found a deep puncture wound in his chest, obviously from having impaled himself on a branch. I figure from the looks of the wound that the dog hunted a long time with that wound and it didn't fase him one bit. Didn't bleed much at all. Buddy is a tough one. I doctored him up with super glue and didn't resort to stitches, but I almost did.

Rudy's latest was just last year when he showed up with a 6 inch slice in the side of one leg. Didn't cry or anything, but when I went to put up into his kennel he whimpered. I palpated him all over and eventually saw blood on my hand. It was a nasty cut from who knows where. Rudy got stitches.

Lots of stories, but the same advice. You can't closely check over the dog enough. Carry a well stocked First-Aid kit and know how to use it. And know that eventually your hard working huntaholic will get hurt.

Best of luck.

Jim

The latest,,My Shorthair took a tumble off a boulder this year she bruised and tore some muscles in her shoulder . Vet told me the muscle would die in about a month then he would have to go in and cut it in two in order to free up the other muscles, but the muscle recovered. Vet was surprised said he has never seen that type of injury that he didn't have to operate on.
    We lost 5 weeks of bird hunting, it was tough on both of us.
    It was a long walk back to the truck having to pack her, Soon as i got home i ordered one of these,,,,,,,http://www.uplandidaho.com/Shopping/Shopping.htm
    Could of used one of those several times through the years..

A buddys dog was fetching a stick last summer, had it in her mouth pointing down her throat the stick caught the ground and it stuck back in her throat about 3" ,, it was nasty.
    Trying to keep her calm on the way to the vet was a nitemare, we called the vet on the way and he told us not to pull the stick out, that poor ol dog really wanted that stick out..

Sorry to hear about your hunting buddy. Did you have to carry him back to the truck? If so, how long of a hike was it? I have to say thats a pretty neat piece of gear and would really come in handy once an injury has occurred.

Had to carry her about three miles up hill through some steep country loaded with cliff bands. Ended up leaving my shotgun and pack behind in a cave,went back a couple of days later to fetch em up..

One time i was Chukar hunting and my dog got her leg caught beteen two boulders while jumping from one to the other, snapped her leg clean in two.
    I was over 8 miles from my truck and it was below zero out,i knew it would be tuff for both of us if i was to carry her back to the truck, i could see a road about a mile down hill.
    I carried her down to the road tied her to some brush then covered her with my coat and hunting vest. I husseld back up to my truck and dang near froze even though i was on a steady march up the hill it took about 3 hours to get there.. when i finnaly made it back to my dog she was bout froze to death, man she was miserable got her loaded up and was hauling butt to the vet took two and a half hours to get there and she never did stop shakeing the whole way,, I sure did feel bad for her.. vet got her fixed up and i ended up hunting over her till she died at the ripe old age of 16...

My CBR/mutt Harley just turned 15 on tax day. As a 2 year old she tasted a salmon egg...with a hook in it. The hook was snelled and as she pawed at the line dangling out of her mouth she managed to get a toenail in the loop and set the hook into the back of her tongue...on a Sunday of course. Then we took a hike up Bird Ridge one winter day and she sliced open a front paw pad on a sliver of shale imbedded in the ice on the trail. The cut was deep...down to the muscle and cut a small artery...again on a Sunday (weekend call-outs are extra at the Vet's office)

BTW as your dog gets older and arthritis sets in, try baby asprin or low dose asprin (it's all 81mg). 1 pill per 30lbs up to twice a day. It really helps with stiffness and it's way cheaper than rimadyl. Never ever give your dog Tylenol (acetaminophen) or any of the NSAIDs i.e. Motrin (ibuprofen), Advil, Aleve etc. Those drugs are very hard on a dog's liver function.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Default First aid kit for dogs

I just got a wound stapler from Coldspot Feeds in Fairbanks. It was cheaper by far than a visit to the vet, especially the after hours clinic which we've been to 3 times for stitches. Antiseptic wipes, antibiotic ointment, tape, couple of gauze pads, and vet wrap and you can do a lot of good for the dog. Add to that a small pair of forceps and/or a small pair of med scissors if you have room.
    If you close a wound be sure it is as clean as you can get it.

after paying the vet bill I was wondering how much one of those staplers would run. I was also curious after watching the vet do it because it sure wasn't anything fancy nor pretty. Any who, Banks is coming along just fine. He hasn't even acted like he has staples in his leg. Well, I come home from lunch today to let him out and this is what I see...

I know it was cruel but I had to grab the camera and take a couple pictures before giving him a hand. I'm sure he wasn't happy with me.

Default Cut repair gear

Coldspot Feed:
    Stapler w/ 30 odd staples = $35.00. They say one time use only, but alcohol, bleach, or Benzalkonium Chloride should sterilize it just fine.
    Remover= $12.50
    $37.50 is a lot cheaper than going pro. If a guy thinks he is smart enough to close a wound, I'd hope he is smart enough to assess and care for it before and after too.

Nice photo of Banks. You are learning that the lampshade is a deterrent, but not a fail safe. Roca would chew on those just to get her day started. She spent most of her time w/ it on and in the kennel to boot just to keep her slowed down.

Nice pic! Poor guy. That's some look he's givng you! I see he's started chewing on the e-collar a little....had a friend with a husky that decided enough was enough so he just ate the e-collar off piece by piece....and then the pieces got stuck in his intestines. Needless to say my friend was really excited about that.