Thread: Talk to me about the Remington 798

Default Talk to me about the Remington 798

I am sure a few of you have either owned or fondled one. I am considering picking one up in 375, no special reason other then I like the caliber.

Think Interarms Mark X in a laminate stock. I think that the laminate stocks are rather bulky but with a good synthetic they would make a darn nice rifle.

In my honest opinion they are a lot of gun for the money!

They have a very nice deep polished blue job (better than anything coming out of the Remington plant) and the wood to metal fit on the ones I handled was good. The reviews on the 798's say stuff like "they're not as smooth as a 700" etc. Well I can't say that I have ever seen a commercial 98 that was as smooth as a 700. Thats just the way they are! They are vintage 98 in that they are rugged, reliable and with proper care will last a life time and more.

The ones I handled were in a gunshop in Des Moines Iowa. A high polished walnut 308 had a price of $699 on it and the 375h&h and 458 win mag were tagged at $875. Those are out of line prices so I walked.

CDNN has(as of friday) 375hh's and 458 win mags for $499. I have one in 458 coming and also bought a 798 in 308 off gunbroker(CDNN was plumb out of 308s). They should both be here next week. I'm not sure what the heck someone in Iowa needs with a 458 but then whats need got to do with it!

For what it's worth I was thinking hard on buying a Kimber at the Des Moines gunshop but after cycling the bolt on the $1200 dollar Montana and then cycling the bolt on the 798... I couldn't see a nickels worth of difference other than the Kimber was a cute, dainty little thing! I will own two 798's for less than what the dude wanted for that Kimber!

Default Rem. 798 Discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    I am sure a few of you have either owned or fondled one. I am considering picking one up in 375, no special reason other then I like the caliber.

Hello - Saw your post just now and thought I'd tell yaa that the Remington website says they Discontinued the 798 / .375 H&H..

I'm not sure exactly why they discontinued it , but I did read a gun review ( someplace) and they compared the CZ [American] Safari in .375 H&H - iirc - with the Serbian made "Rem". model 798 in .375 H&H. The CZ got better marks on the "report card". Maybe Rem. decided to save some $ . ? ?

The CZ from Czech-land was favored over the Zustava Serbian -made weapon. Especially after firing. The shooter/reviewer said (iirc) that the Rem.798 really took extra effort to raise and pull back the bolt after it was fired.

They had a Rem. 798 here at one of the stores in town and I did the touchy-feelies ,,, and unlike the poster from Iowa - I thought the action/bolt could have used some polishing , { not for shiney/pretty sake , but for smoother functioning } , and the wood to metal fit was not what I would want/expect for something that list prices at well over $700.00 .

... but hey - that's why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors - right ?!

There is not much left of the Mauser bolt in .375 but just like original in .458. They probably discontinued because to many guys did not recognize the Mauser bolt in .375. Gotta stick with the shorter cartidge.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Boddington did a piece awhile back on the 798. I think he was Cape buffalo hunting if I remember right. He sounded like he liked the 798 just fine.

For me, the main reason I'm not interested in one in .375 is because they put the 26" barrel on instead of 24" or shorter.

Charles Daly was the importer of that action/rifle between Interarms and the Remington 798. Mine is a Daly in 30-06 that shoots excellent groups with almost any factory ammo. All I have fired in it is 165 grain bullets. But it has not failed to load, fire, and eject anything even though I have fired numerous rounds as quickly as possible. In my opinion, that action whether from Interarms, Charles Daly, or Remington is one heck of a buy for the money.

Is anyone importing it now since Remington pulled the plug?
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    Is anyone importing it now since Remington pulled the plug?
    Supposedly it's in the works but I haven't seen them yet. If I recall, EAA was going to be the new importer, but my memory is sketchy sometimes.

Midway USA has had Zastava actions listed as "coming soon" for months. That will be the best deal going if/when they ever get them. Standard bolt face action for $279 then slap on the barrel and stock of your choice. Talk about a bargain.

I have a Charles Daly action built into a custom .358 Norma and I absolutley love it. Sure it could be a little slicker but it does fine as is.

I bought the Charles Daly 30-06 with the intention of changing it to a 35 Whelen. The rifle shot so good with off the shelf ammo that I changed my mind and just left it alone. The action could be a bit smoother but it is getting better as I fire the rifle.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Boddington did a piece awhile back on the 798. I think he was Cape buffalo hunting if I remember right. He sounded like he liked the 798 just fine.

For me, the main reason I'm not interested in one in .375 is because they put the 26" barrel on instead of 24" or shorter.
    I totally agree. The 458 that is headed my way is also a 26 incher. Thats like a crow bar with a hole in it. I don't get the 1 in 14 inch twist rate either, especially in a 26 inch barrel.

Professor Murphy once guided my thinking in 458 build on a Ruger 77 action. It had a 1 in 20 twist and was 22 inches long. It shot minute of angle with everything. The one in 14 twist will obviously work but in my opinion it is overkill.

I may send mine clear to Alaska to our sponsor and let them shorten it a bunch and move the front sight back accordingly. What would that cost me guys?

I like the amenities on the CZ, the Ruger MK2, and the Kimber Caprivi more for a dangeroud game rifle. All are chambered in .375 H&H. Just my personal preferance though.

Brett