Thread: 2010 Spring Mushing Pics #3

Default 2010 Spring Mushing Pics #3

Same tributary creek as previous posts, April 17th mush. It hit +55 during the heat of the day, and I had an encounter with the first mosquito of 2010 at the turnaround spot <grin>.

Had to cross a foot and a half of liquid green overflow on the main river to get to the side creek, and the creek was running green water with thin newly frozen ice and pretty gnarly for the first half mile, until I veered off on the first overland trail:

That distinctive debarked and broken off black spruce in the above pic is one a bull moose has been rubbing on with his antlers.

After that flat, was good going on the creek, overflow ice was solid with some fresh snow. A shot farther up, so cool how the whole valley is filled with overflow ice:

Decided to go explore up a small side creek that had overflowed a bunch and not bad going:

Here's a shot looking back down that little side creek to the main creek:

Default continued...

Was concerned about heading back down, is steeper than it looks, so I chained up:

Here's a closeup shot after going a bit with the chain on...I've mentioned "chaining up" in the past and others have asked me about it. It's really the only way to get down steep hills without wiping, wrapping a chain around the bottom of the rig, which along with your weight on the back really slows you down. You can see the chain has gathered brush we've gone over already:

Back down on the main creek and heading home, west-facing slopes are pretty bare:

Default continued...

And closer to the mouth of the creek we get back to liquid overflow:

And the creek narrows and you have to be on the brake pretty good to keep from sliding out and hitting trees:

Mouth of the creek, and we gotta get back across the deeper overflow on the main river, home is just across from us:

Another fun day fo' sure!

Great pics Mark, we used to call them " rough locks" on the cat train's, except they were 1" chains , lol, you have 80,000lb's coming down on you, it's a scary feeling, I know the feeling of something getting away from you, ( you guy's dont even want to know this story, it belongs in the oh dang thread, I should post that one.)

Beautiful weather. So what are the dog's going to do this summer? How's the ice looking out there?

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Great pics Mark,So what are the dog's going to do this summer? How's the ice looking out there?
    Rock, I bet I know what the dogs will be doing this summer. Who doesn't like a boat ride and some fishing!

If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

E.S.,

Well Lori filled ya in on what the dogs do in summer <grin>.

Haven't been too far up or down on main river, some green overflow atop the ice all around here though. Some is draining back into our little high-water channel, going upstream, and flowing into our water hole. It created quite the whirlpool and has eaten the water hole out quite a bit, and I see it's eaten out another hole in the ice below that. Ice was three feet thick when I chopped the last hole a month ago, so I don't think it's gonna take too long to rot out this year. +56 right now, definite signs of more bare spots on hills...I think it's gonna be an early breakup if things progress as they have.

How about the Tanana, what's it looking like?
    Best,

Not sure yet, just pulled the boat out about an hour ago. lol. Thought about putting it in at the bridge in the next couple of days, but kinda leary about the Goodpaster going out, but that really never happens til the 1rst of May, We'll see.

I'm thinking it will rot out futher north, but with the temps around here, who knows? Almost 80 in the sun today.

I'll post some pic's if I do go.

Mark

Great pictures (as always). they are the reason I come into this forum.

fh

I don't hate many things, but man, I sure do hate overflow.
    Just saw the picture of the dogs on the boat. It always amazes me just how different they look in the summer. Especially Bert. I keep saying I'm going to shave him. If I ever do, I'll fwd pics to you.
    - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

Here's a closeup shot after going a bit with the chain on...I've mentioned "chaining up" in the past and others have asked me about it. It's really the only way to get down steep hills without wiping, wrapping a chain around the bottom of the rig, which along with your weight on the back really slows you down. You can see the chain has gathered brush we've gone over already:

Hey Mark, I'm not familiar with this type of set up (not the chains). Is that plate the brake?
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Hey Georganne,

Yes, that is the brake in the back. Don't typically use the bar brake on a toboggan with the two tips like you have on sleds, and most of my toboggans don't even have a cutout in the back for the brake to go down like this one does. So they mostly are just a claw type brake that hangs off the back.

Ah ok. Nice to see the different types.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

I just joined, and have a question. I run a small purebred Siberian team; but I've also had great success running Labradors. I now live in the Interior, where we're seeing -20 and -30 temps. Will it harm my Labrador's nasal passages, and thus his hunting abilities, if I put him in the team in these temperatures?

Stormy Weather,

I'd say that as long as your lab shows s/he is capable and willing, all will be fine. A friend used to have a pet lab as his lead dog, with a team of huskies, in Fairbanks. Never saw any problems as far as your concerns. She would ice ball up more, yes, required booties more than the huskies, didn't have the same endurance, so just don't expect as much as from the siberians.
    Good Luck,