Thread: Grim Reaper Expandable Broadheads

Default Grim Reaper Expandable Broadheads

Has any had experience using the Grim Reaper expandable broadheads? I bought a pack today and am looking for feedback on any pros vs. Cons. I am also trying to counter act some of the wind we saw this past weekend on the Dalton which may have altered my arrow flight a bit costing me meat.

Since none of the 78 people who have looked at this post and have decided not to comment or talk trash like normal, I found some reviews and posted them in the case anyone else was interested in the performance of these broadheads.

Good Expandable for bigger Game-Not for Deer, March 17, 2010
    By DCbowhunting from Northern NY

"I've tried several archery products through the years with alot of ups and downs, but this one was the biggest let down. This is the first review I have ever posted and I the reason why I'm commenting on this is to let other hunters know before it happens to them. Over the course of two archery seasons in Northern NY, I have lost 3 respectable bucks because of these not expanding within the cavity of the deer. I am a freak about kinetic energy and these were just blowing through the deer without opening. For the record, all three deer, I did have the bubbly lung blood in large piles only reducing to minimal trickles. This tells me that the exit hole was small and the deer's insides shifted to stop most of the bleeding. I had spent several hours researching this with allitle bit of common scence put 2 and 2 together so to say. I did confirm this with one of the bucks, which I found the next day, only to be eaten by coyotes. They did leave me enough to check out the lungs and exit hole in the hide. I did give it a 3 because I think they would do the job on a moose or grizzly but to much for thin skinned game or to use with a kids setup which wouldn't have the energy of adults' bow setups. I will be going back to my old broadheads but might give a try to a rear deployables."

Would you recommend this product to a friend? No

Great Broadhead, January 30, 2010
    By JoeSp from Georgetown, Massachusetts

"No rubber bands. Sturdy blades. I've shot 2 deer with these and they've worked great both times. The blades deployed and never broke. Also, one thing I like is the length of the broadhead. I used to love spitfires for their durability and still do but I've had 2 instances on deer where because of the angle of my shots from high up in my treestand the closed blades hit first instead of the tip causing my arrow to change direction. The grim reapers have a long tip past the closed blades and the arrow has not redirected on me yet. Maybe I'm wrong and it's just coincidence but this is just my experiences so far."

Would you recommend this product to a friend? Yes

5 out of 5
    Great Broadhead if you pay attention to them, January 19, 2010
    By smith1512 from Windber, PA

"Great broadhead....so far i have dropped 2 bucks where they stood with them...if you are having trouble with the blades being loose or tight, you just have to mess with the spring a bit. if you open the blades and lock them into place and you touch them,the blades should jump up on their own. if they dont you need to mess with them..you shouldnt have to fight to get the blades to open either...if you check to make sure everything is working properly, you will have no problems with this broadhead..out of all of the broadheads that i have tried to far, these shoot the straightest and the most consistantly"

Would you recommend this product to a friend? Yes

1 out of 5
    Going back to fixed blades!, January 18, 2010
    By chessieohio from Ohio

"This was the 2nd year Ive been using these. Last year they did a good job on my buck.Buried in opposite shoulder blade.This year I had a monster whitetail at 20yds quartering away.I hit back a little bit.Thought I had a great shot.Deer quit bleeding & I found my arrow.One blade was bent & i didnt get much penetration.Im certain I hit a rib.I seen the same buck a few more times over the next 2 weeks & he seemed like he wasnt even hurt. Im thinking if I was using a fixed blade the arrow wouldve been cutting while it was inside of the deer & when it was pulled out.These had poor penetration & when the arrow was pulled out the blades close & do no more cutting.I guess Im not too happy with any broadhead that closes after the initial hit.Going back to my thunderheads.I know theyve always worked! IMHO these broadheads cost me the buck of a lifetime & turned me off to ever shooting any type of mechanicals again!"

Would you recommend this product to a friend? No

We still got a little time to try them out before season closes!!! If not, then the research must be done on the The Block.

Tp

Quote Originally Posted by "Ricky" View Post
    Since none of the 78 people who have looked at this post and have decided not to comment or talk trash like normal, I found some reviews and posted them in the case anyone else was interested in the performance of these broadheads.
    Loose the attitude and you might get more responses to your posts!

I would recommend you read the Ashbey reports. Dr. Ed Ashbey is a retired physicist and archery hunter. Over the past 20 years he has developed the most extensive data base on broad head performance under real world testing I have ever encountered. He focused on African big game, using a rib cage from a cape buffalo as a test base only one expandable even managed to penetrate into the body cavity, none produce a "fatal wound". Every expendable tested was damaged, most beyond further use. The only broadhead to penetrate more than 90% of the hits was a heavy, single beveled, fixed, two blade broad head. Again none of the expendables including the reaper was undamaged after a single shot, none produced a fatal wound. Two of your own reviews clearly state the head was damaged or failed to work on deer, less than 250 pound animals seems obvious too me that expendables and the reaper specifically are not suited to hunting Alaskan big game!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Ricky,
    I've used Reapers on at least 5 whitetails with fantastic results. With the first review you posted about the guy hitting the deer in the lungs but the Reaper didn't open and he lost his him, I'm calling B.S. Common sense will tell you that if you penetrate both lungs with even a field point that animal will expire quickly. I personally have never had one fail nor have any of my friends who have ever used them. I guarantee that if the truth be told, a very large majority of claims that any mechanical head did not work could be traced directly to poor shot placement. Claiming an inanimate object failed is much easier than pointing a finger at yourself. Reapers penetrate well and due to their considerable cutting diameter, they leave impressive and short blood trails. I would not hesitate to use them on any animal for which the state allows.