Thread: Shrimping in Valdez

Default Shrimping in Valdez

So, Im new to this... Are there any perferred spots, how far out do you need to go to get into the better numbers. How long should I let them soak before the first pull?

Like I said, Im new to this. Ive read the depth numbers and the benefit of putting down in a few different locations. Are there any other recommendations?

Also, Im looking at making my own boom and attaching a leverage pully (Im pulling manually). Is there anything else I really need to consider?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    So, Im new to this... Are there any perferred spots, how far out do you need to go to get into the better numbers. How long should I let them soak before the first pull?

Like I said, Im new to this. Ive read the depth numbers and the benefit of putting down in a few different locations. Are there any other recommendations?

Also, Im looking at making my own boom and attaching a leverage pully (Im pulling manually). Is there anything else I really need to consider?
    I'll admit I'm no expert at shrimping out of Valdez but I learned last summer while on a job there was this;

Tried at good looking sites (according to the charts) out by the Columbia Glacier - not so good.

Tried some sites closer to Valdez - at the North end of the Narrows on the West side at some waterfalls - much better.

You'll want to get away from pulling maually ASAP .

Anyone know of any good books on the subject?

Also, does the season stay active all year or is there a tapering off as the summer passes?

Default Season

April 15th through Sept 15
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1