Thread: DM920 help

Default DM920 help

I drew a tag for DM920. I am in a little bit of a bind. My wife is due with our first child on the 18sep and the hunt is from the 1sep to 25sep. She told me i can go if i am back by the 6sep. (thats not much time). Any help would be great. What the land is like brush or tundera? Thank you.

I have the tag also. If you have google earth it's pretty easy to see what the country is like. The river valley that makes up most of the hunt area is black spruce, willow and scrub birch for the first mile or two each side of the highway. From that point on it is pretty steep and quickly gets above treeline. There are several creek drainages in the hunt area and a few small swamps. Last season, while taking a break from hunting south of there, we drove through the area a couple times. We saw a local from Wiseman with a very nice 60" moose shot right off the road between the Haul Road and the pipeline.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

FED. SUBSISTANCE HUNTERS CAN RIFLE HUNT THERE AND THEY WILL SHOOT MOOSE OUT FROM UNDER YOU AND THEN THREATEN YOU IF YOU QUESTION IT. THEY (AT LEAST SOME OF THEM) WILL DRIVE AND IF THEY SEE BOWHUNTERS STALKING OR WATCHING MOOSE THEY WILL GO AFTER THEM.
    PRETTY EARLY, PLAN ON ALOT OF DRIVING AND GLASSING. NOT LIKILY THEY WILL RESPOND TO CALL.
    COULD BE NICE TRIP TO FLOAT DOWN TO COLDFOOT
    IN TREED AREAS LOOK HIGH ON MTN. AT TOP EDGE OF TREES.
    GOOD LUCK

BTW- POOR TIMING ON YOUR PART
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default 920 help

I drew 922 a few years ago and hunting it the 1-7 sep, it waqs warm and seen only a few moose, I suspect that being a bit further north and glassing around the last spruce tree would be very productive have seen alot of nice bulls up there.
    I would hunt it during the later part but not possible. While I was hunting I didnt see any substadance hunters. The weather was nice a few mornings has some frost. Vegatation is thick but very huntable , focus more on brush thrashing and good luck wish i could help more

Default Dm920

I did that hunt ......took a real nice bull, ........I suggest you don't hunt it.

I drew DM922 this year...................I'll trade you tags......that way you don't have to drive as far.

I never saw any subsistance hunters either......I took my bull on Sep 12th back in 2007, and I started hunting on the 1st of Sept. I couldn't put in for that tag in 2008, but been trying since..................don't let me draw that tag again.................because I bet I could better my last bull I took from there.

Default Moose

Expect to see alot of small moose ..........that place gets hit pretty hard !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, since there are only 12 people in Wiseman that qualify for subsistance and I met half of them last year, I can say that it really isn't a big deal. Hell, when I was there visiting on Sept. 10th last year only one of them was actually hunting moose (the guy I saw hauling his moose home). Stop in, have a cup of coffee at the Boreal Lodge in Wiseman, have an open mind, and learn about the history of the area. It was a good education for me and I plan on stopping again this year.

i drew this tag also hopefully see you up there.

Thanks for all the help and I hope to all of you up there. The wife is still on the fence to let me go but if all goes well and she keeps it in the oven for the full time we will be good to go.. I will driving a blue dodge truck with a toper, if you see me stop and say hi. Cody

I hope I have better planing next time

Default Dm 920

If it was me that drew that tag....I'd do it alone......you'll better your chances at scoring a bull. Too much hunting pressure will push them bulls out. And if your hunting the west side, you'll run them back into the park.

I can't tell you guys how to hunt, but if was me.....I'd get off the beaten path, get in deep and sleep among them in the thickets, spike out from your vehicle. It gets eery at dusk, carry bear spray, and keep your head on a swivel......can't wait to hear the stories and see some pics after September...I'll be be out there too, the south area, I'll be lucky to even see a bull.......maybe get lucky.....then have a victory burger and Silver gulch at Coldfoot.

Archery Moose................the only way to hunt'em

Default going up

I will be hunting Griz for like 10 days in may and will let anyone know where i see some bulls if they would like.

Good, let me know where you see any bulls south of coldfoot.....the only bad thing is....they probably won't be there come Sept.

I have a friend that has been successful south of Coldfoot several times. I had the tag last year and saw a small paddle bull right off the side of the road. Too bad it was getting dark and I couldn't get on him. They're there

Cody- I'll be driving a silver crew cab Silverado with Moores' Hardware signs on the door. I might not be up there as early as you, but who knows.

Just wondering if anyone has been up north of Coldfoot and seen any moose? Whats the weather been like? I plan on being up there the 30th of aug. Thanks for the info.

If I had that hunt to do over...I'd have camp on my back, a pack raft and I'd hunt upstream along the Bettles River
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I drew in 2008. Called in a bruiser from a long distance an blew-it. Seen lots of cow and calves. Also seen multiple grizz and a couple blackies. It's a great hunt. Meet some nice people because i was willing to say hi.